Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Vita Felt???

hatflick1

Practically Family
Okay, this may have been hashed over before. But what is Stetson Vita Felt?
Is it wool?
Did Stetson or Dobbs or any of the vintage makers produce wool fedoras back in the day? I see Stetson ads from the forties featuring Vita Felt yet I can't get a clear fix on what it actually consists of.
Thanks!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Vita felt's fur felt, some special process.
You sometimes see old wool fedoras come up, most of the time they're not in very good shape.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I have one, it's a thin ribbon medium grey number. It's very soft, but it's been relegated as the yardwork/camping hat because it has a hole at the top front crease. It makes a good beater and has a nice, wide brim.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J. M. Stovall said:
I have one, it's a thin ribbon medium grey number. It's very soft, but it's been relegated as the yardwork/camping hat because it has a hole at the top front crease. It makes a good beater and has a nice, wide brim.
Can we see a picture of it?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if it's a composite felt. It came out around the same time that hat manufacturers were experimenting with different felts, such as the casein felts.

Brad

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I had one and it wasn't any different than any other felt. I just think it was a marketing ploy. It was a good hat mind you, very dense but so are many others of that era.

fedoralover

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I always feel goofy taking pictures of myself.

100_2182.jpg

100_2183.jpg

100_2184.jpg

hatflick1

Practically Family
Many thanks, fellow Loungers. I always know where to turn for answers.
A happy Labor Day weekend to all!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
I have one,...it has a hole at the top front crease.

One of mine (medium brown) from around 1940 is nearly in the same condition. I have owned dozens and dozens of vintage fedoras by many makers and this is one of only two with that amount of weakness. The hat is otherwise not that worn looking. I removed the liner and reinforced it from the inside of the crown but it was almost worn through. The brim is also too easily shaped. The slightest touch changes the swoop.

I do believe Vita-Felt was not only a marketing name but some actual process to get Stetson's felt to feel more 'mellow' in order to better compete with Borsalino. It may have accomplished that but it is not as durable as felt not treated this way.

Here's mine:
DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Another Playboy Vita Felt. This hat was used heavily - very dirty and sweaty when I got it - but the only holes were from moths. The felt is very similar to some of the floppy Borsalinos I've had.

PlayboyVFSide.jpg

PlayboyVFSweatStamp.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran