Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your all time favourite leather

Yango

One of the Regulars
I think I’d have to say, my Schott 141. U. S. sourced, drum dyed, hand cut, heavyweight, full aniline cowhide (naked leather).
It’s supremely comfortable, and in my humble opinion, cool as hell!
2801676D-5E8F-4E31-901F-611F9D215072.jpeg

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
Aero's Seal Goat would probably be a contender for its suitability in many weather types - its weight/thickness is pretty much the mutt's nuts in climates I live in.

Edward

Bartender
For sheer wearability and comfort, Aero’s Kudu hide took some beating. Quite hefty but soft & pliable with stunning purple hues in certain light. Sadly no longer available.

View attachment 165082

View attachment 165081

I remember when they launched the Pioneer, with that hide being the default option. Always looked nice but I've never handled it. As memory serves, it was dropped because the Kudu hides are, due to the nature of the animal, very prone to having lots of scars and markings, which made it inefficient when the market was always demanding unmarked panels. Something like that.

From everything I've handled and owned, I'm particularly keen on the following - in no particular order:

1] Aero's goat. Nice and sturdy, drapes well, doesn't age in too accelerated a manner. I like this in all shades; it could be a contender for a favourite all-round if it was available in a wider colour range. I'd love a J106 in that blue-black goat Aero used for a Levis contract way back when.

2] Horween CXL FQHH (black excepted; I prefer my black to remain black, not go brown)

3] The mid-weight steer Aero use, which is a standard hide for all their "Apprentice Made" jackets as well as being more widely available. Black stays black. As sturdy and thick as CXL, but a different drape. Very wearable.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Good Wear Capeskin. Only offered for a short time. I'm the 3rd or 4th owner of an A1 in this hide. Soft, supple and amazingly grained. It's been called a "grail jacket" by many on here. I've never taken a decent picture of the hide, but others on here have. Search and you'll find it.

Worf

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not sure there is one. It all depends on the usage/style. For example, the British leather used in British cars say a Jaguar XJ look very sharp brand new while the German ones say in a Merc S class of BMW 7 series look rather dull but after a few years the German ones would still look the same as if not been sat on while the British ones usually look rather worn out.
HH looks nice for motorcycle jackets but capeskin may look better for an A-1 or cossack style jacket. Lambskin and deerskin are the usual choice for blazer style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21