Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your expertise?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think I can safely say I'm probably the world's foremost authority on the Colorado-Kansas Railway, an obscure, 25-mile shortline railroad. As of a couple of years ago, nobody else had gone through their records since they pulled up the rails in 1957.:p

Fun knowledge, but worth relatively little monetary value.[huh]

Brad

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
katiemakeup said:
What areas do you fancy yourself an expert in? It can be a hobby, job or passion! People would turn to you for your knowledge on...

Okay, here we go....
1. Bagpipe music, history, instruction etc.
2. I am a pretty good drummer too ;) (marching snare and drum kit)
3. electric (construction and residential), after all I am a certified electrician in Germany.
4. I speak and write perfectly in German....what a surprise:eusa_clap
5. I know a lot about World History
6. I have a very good knowledge on British military history (especially of Scottish and Irish regiments)....I guess that comes with the bagpiping
7. My wife says I am a "Master Packer"...I can pretty much pack everything you give me in a suitcase....It might be heavy and about to burst but I will fit it in. I am also very good with organizing things.....the German in me...lol
8. I have a pretty good knowledge on music, bands and artists from the early 1990's to current. I just love music, read a lot of music magazines and have a cd collection of 500+ cd's from classic, to jazz, alternative, Swing, punk, ethnic, Ska, Pop,electronica/Industrial and more. If my wife and I like it, it will end up in our music collection, no matter what style.
9. My wife says I can cook pretty good.....or least she is very polite...lol
10. I am good with animals and pets

Well that's everything I can think of right now.
Christoph

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I am of the mind that we can learn anything we truly desire to learn, or figure out how to do whatever interests us. So having been fascinated with art from a very early age, I focused on art in all it's forms. That encompasses a lot of subjects really. I think life is all about learning, so life in general is pretty interesting.
I can't do math to save my life though! :eusa_doh:

Amen on all points. Anyone with interest can learn just about anything they set their mind to.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Brad Bowers said:
I think I can safely say I'm probably the world's foremost authority on the Colorado-Kansas Railway, an obscure, 25-mile shortline railroad. As of a couple of years ago, nobody else had gone through their records since they pulled up the rails in 1957.:p

Fun knowledge, but worth relatively little monetary value.[huh]

Brad

History in the works? Monograph?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm really not an expert on anything....more like 'pretty good at.' That'd be....

Being spontaneous. I can't make any plans ahead of time....just last second ones and that can be a lot of fun. That includes photography, too. I'll never shoot a wedding. Since I always have a camera with me those instantaneous shots are the best.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I'm laboriously going through the arduous certification process in antique appraisals - having been connected with a family antiques business as a sideline for many years. Certainly don't claim an expertise, however.

Other than that... drinking, maybe?

i dislike calling myself an expert, because there's always something new to learn. but i'm pretty knowledgable about:

1 - Responses of cells to bioelectric fields (mainly associated with wound healing)

2 - British history, mainly the political development from the arrival of the Normans though i'm moving into military history also.

3 - Vintage clothing and style (i flatter myself)

4 - Bagpipes (another piper here, Christoph!)

5 - The Border Rievers (basically cattle rustlers in the March between Scotland and England - much revered (see what i did there? riever, revered? eh, what. No.) in my part of the world).

I'm with Major Nick. Whatever you want to know about, the info is out there. Get out and LEARN all you can about a subject.

again, i wouldn't describe myself as an expert in any of these, though i'm closest to expert status in the first one. Spend 6 years studying a single subject every waking hour, you get to know something about it.

bk

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Definition of expert

I was once told that if you are more than 50 miles away from work or home you can claim to be an expert. I guess the only thing I'm an expert in is how not to train for a marathon. I just go run which makes my serious running friends crazy.

There are quite few things I enjoy and participate in but I don't have the motivation or focus to become an expert, that's too much like work.

Cobden

Practically Family
World Rank Distinction Insignia. If you're in Guinea-Bissau and you need to tell the difference between a Major and a Lieutenant, a situation that I admit is unlikely to have ever occured in mankind's long existance outside of the Guinea-Bissau military, I'm the man to call

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Well, I wouldn't say expert, but I did my thesis on industrial design in the 1930s--Raymond Loewy makes me swoon!

I wish I could truly claim expertise in knitting, but I'm not THAT good. But I don't have to be an expert to enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW