Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your expertise?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If anyone wants to know about anything as arcane as combat aviation history, WW 2 in general or such I'm da guy! I also fool around with the study of paleoarcheology.

book_lover

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Beer. Traditionally brewed, cask-conditioned beer, also known as 'real ale'.[/QUOTE]

Do you brew your own? My hubby has been doing this for a few years now - the first brews were truly awful but he makes some top class ones now!

book_lover

Familiar Face
This thread has been fun - a good way to learn about people here.

Well there's only one thing I can claim to be (almost) expert at - the topic of my PhD (because noone else will do my exact topic, making me the authority - same with any PhD student). That is - the relationship of identity processes (social and personal identity orientations) to home making behaviour. So, I'll give you a very quick example. Say someone here is really into the Golden Era. They have decorated their home accordingly, say with art deco furniture and ornaments etc. To what extent have they done this a) to give their home personal meaning and value for their OWN benefit (personal identity orientation) and b) to identify with a certain social group - basically to impress other people, and to gain access to their group by visually indicating that "I am one of you" (social identity orientation)?

Otherwise I am pretty good at cooking (particularly curries and Mexican food), making tiaras and combs for brides and bridesmaids, knowledge on snakes (although that interest has passed so it's slipping from my mind) - that's about it! As far as INTEREST goes though - there are far more areas!

mikepara

Practically Family
My chosen subjects would be..

British Parachute and Gliderborne Artillery units 'Airborne Gunners'

Northumbrian Castles and Bastles.

Anglo Scottish Battles.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yeh, I forgot...

I'm pretty much an expert on Beatleology! I'm not the fifth Beatle, I think I'm the 9th (number 9..number 9...number...)

Since 1964 I have been a Beatle nut. Yes I do suffer from BM (Beatlemania!) after all these years. Don't know why other than all the reasons that most people like the Bealtes, except I've obsessed on it for four decades. I think I know Beatles history and biographs better than I know my own extended family - dates, locations, periods, friends, homes, on and on...

I went to London and Liverpool just after High School, so I've been to the Apple Studios on Savile Row and EMI on Abbey Road. (Yes I have a photo of the crosswalk, sans Beatles.) I've been to the Cavern Club (and the Casbah Club.), Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Mendips, Woolton Parish Church, the Pierhead, on and on...

I was very fortunate to have obtained a press pass through my work that allowed me to photograph Paul McCartney in concert, back in 1990. He's the only Beatle I've seen live though. I missed opportunities for John and Ringo, although I invited George to contact me when he was in Phoenix for the Grand Prix some years back. (No. He did not respond - I thought he'd want to talk about 'Lord Buckley'!!!)

I've got quite a collection of stuff. A brick from Abbey Road, fabric from the Magical Mystery Tour bus, a vast collection of photos of Lennon's psychedelic Rolls Royce (oh, yea - seen that too!). I even have a collection of Lennon specs (reproductions) which note the evolution of his eyewear!

Expertise or obsession?....It's been a part of my life since '64. People through the years have known me as the 'go to' guy for Beatle trivia and they often have given me their small collections so they know it will be well preserved.

To this very day (as I'm sure I will hear a Beatles song sometime in the next 24 hours somewhere!!!) I am transported back in my mind to the period and location and find a real sense of peace and joy in hearing that sound and visualizing those four lads from Liverpool. It's Fab; really Gear! ;)

-dixon 'Beatle' cannon

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Just these things.:p

wrightfield.jpg

k-2takeoffcopy.jpg

herbsaintavatar.jpg

Phil

A-List Customer
I'm not an expert at anything since I am still in school. But, I am proficcient with CAD and designing bulidings. I have multiple sets of plans that I have drawn for class or just for fun. I don't mean to sound like a pompous, narcissistic person (or a trumpet player in general), but I may not be the best trumpet players in my section, but I am definitely one of the cooler, more laid back trumpet players. I think I would prefer that over being on top. It does get lonely on top after all.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I am an expert on:

-All things from the Original Star Wars Trilogy
-The relationship between Don Quixote and Dostoevsky
-The use of exotic space in Film Noir

prof500

New in Town
I'm pretty much an expert in family history research, and have even thought about turning it into a secondary career -- but usually most things are not as fun when they become work, IMHO. :) It also ties into my great skills at finding obscure information efficiently on the Internet.

I don't just like finding facts and dates, but background materials on what their lives were like years ago, what kind of occupations people had, etc.

Johnny Turner

New in Town
I somehow got good at digital photo restoration. I have collected pretty much all of the family photos and scanned them all. Most were in pretty good shape but some needed TLC. In my downtime I take photographs and turn them into vintage looking photos.

jspina

New in Town
eye believe

I know we're all crazed for suits and hats and shoes and shirts and ties and watches but...if you're wondering about great eyewear and sunglasses...see me.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Object-oriented design. Okay, not so interesting here.

I do know a fellow—not a FLounger, so far as I know—who is an expert on the history of dueling in America. Has he got some stories to tell! (Of course, he does; he published a book on the subject.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany