Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Jerekson

One Too Many
The Corsair always seems to be left out - it's always one of those "oh yeah, I forgot about that one!" type of deals for me.

Goodness knows why though. One of the most beautifully designed planes that ever flew - and powerful mean looking too. Not to mention it's performances!

Spitfire41

New in Town
Jerekson said:
The Corsair always seems to be left out - it's always one of those "oh yeah, I forgot about that one!" type of deals for me.

Goodness knows why though. One of the most beautifully designed planes that ever flew - and powerful mean looking too. Not to mention it's performances!

It's unfortunate, but it seems like a lot of the Pacific gets left out. The Horsepower and speed was incredible!! And the Marines flew them! Enough said!! Great and beautiful airplane.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
My favorite has to be the P47D Thunderbolt bubble top. They say "If you want to get all the girls, drive a P51. If you want to get home, drive a P47.

tbolt2-Copy.jpg

scan0007-Copy.jpg

This one used to be mine but I gave it away in 1987. BTW, it's only 13 inches long.

savoy6

New in Town
top favorite....like if i had to pick only one to fly ???
flat out,hands down.....Curtiss P40...style wise, this ship just screams "Pursuit"....and since i saw 1941 as a kid,all i ever wanted to be was "Wild Bill" Kelso...:)
2822243559_ff239bc3ff_o.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Tibor said:
...the P-40B and C models; more so than the deep radiator models D, E and F...had a purity of design and flow, very sleek for the day and very finished rivet work compared to later models.

I agree with this 110%. There were more effective fighters, to be sure, but the early model P-40s very much looked the part.

P-38s are much the same way.

-Dave

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
FM2

The late Frank Tallman said the two best WWII planes to owen are the GM FM2 Wildcat and the P-40. Since he flew about all the major Allied fighters, that says it all! Years ago I mentioned this to John Lane Jr. of Airpower Unlimited and he said hands down the P-40! Apparently it is easy to maintain and good Time Before Overhaul intervals. The FM2 has only one hydraulic system, the brakes, vacuum flaps, crank up undercarriage and only 9 calenders! And it was FM2 pilots of Taffy 3 along with Avenger crews that did dry runs on the IJMS Yamato, forcing the Japanese fleet to retreat! Incidently FM2, TAKEOFF WEIGHT: 8221 lbs. Yamato, 71659 tons!

fm2_general-motors_wildcat_cve29san.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
A completely stock, original Me 262. Then I would sell it, buy a nice 2 bdrm apt. in Central Park West, go to jazz clubs and take music lessons for the rest of my life.

There's no point to owning it, 'cause I can't fly. Of course, I guess I could keep it and make even more money showing it at air shows. An original Schwalbe would be a draw.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Stearmen said:
I too was born to late! I know it lasted for such a short period in history but, Oh to have been a Pan AM China Clipper Captain!

Agree with both of you.

Cord_Clipper.jpg

Fun fact : read where airline pilots were paid $8,000/year in the 1930s, slightly less than Congressmen and about twice what Physicians made. :eek:

Chas said:
A completely stock, original Me 262. Then I would sell it, buy a nice 2 bdrm apt. in Central Park West, go to jazz clubs and take music lessons for the rest of my life.

There's no point to owning it, 'cause I can't fly. Of course, I guess I could keep it and make even more money showing it at air shows. An original Schwalbe would be a draw.

Yes, they are worth a small fortune if you owned one. They were fairly hazardous to fly. Now we can actually make them airworthy with a few modifications that no one would likely notice. Just seeing one on the ground is an interesting experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points