Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

HepKitty

One Too Many
Ercoupe, if I remember correctly this one is a 1946. this was last week, with the student teacher again so no official time, but I did get the left seat :)

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
If favourite = "If I were granted one wish to [learn to] fly any ONE plane," then it would have to be an F-4 Phantom.

HepKitty

One Too Many
thanks! hope to fly again tomorrow, this time with the CFI. the student teacher has offered to take me up again this weekend too, gosh I can't possibly refuse :D

Ponsenby

Familiar Face
P40 Kittyhawk, in Commonwealth service. If I had to be picky, from 3 Sqn, RAAF in the Middle East.

Here's one from the recent Avalon airshow, not in Desert Air Force colours unfortunately!
DSCF5404.jpg

Giftmacher

One Too Many
From military planes I do like classics He 111 and Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor and from civil Aero 45 and Let L 200 Morava, but both are post-war planes (1947 and 1957)

1081702.jpg
morava.jpg

Concerto

New in Town
For the "classic" era, easily the RAF Spitfire. Graceful in flight, ingenius in design, and a combination of beauty and of British reservation and smartness that sets it ahead of the Mustang (which looks a little too "sporty" for a war fighter).

70l4z6.jpg

In terms of modern planes, the USAF B-2 Spirit bomber. There's something awe-inspiring about the plane, and while it looks pudgy sideways on, from every other angle looks sleek and utterly deadly (can a stealth nuclear bomber NOT be deadly?).

wt8wao.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
I do not know a lot about planes, but this one caught my attention two weeks ago on the Dutch isle of Texel. It's fully restored and was modified to fit two pilots. Great sound too!

Cheers,
Andy

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ah yes, the North American P-51D "Mustang". A truly classic design. Not my favorite, perhaps because of its ubiquity, but an undeniably beautiful and impressive piece of machinery.

-Dave

I like some of the early war Russian aircraft.

Some footage of the Polikarpov family of fighters.
[video=youtube;PbW_JaCm05A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbW_JaCm05A&feature=related[/video]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I think this would have been a nice way to travel. Too bad they used explosive hydrogen instead of helium though. :(
[video]http://www.invisiblethemepark.com/2009/07/hindenburg-a-deck-walkthrough-video/[/video]

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Another plane that you don't hear much about is the P-400. A lend-lease, for the British, version of the P-39. You could tell the P-400 from the P-39 because the P-400 had 12 exhaust stacks behind the pilot instead of 6 that were on the P-39. It also had metric instruments and a British Oxygen system. They also did not have the supercharger. The Brits decided they did not want them so the US put them to use in the Pacific to outfit some of their Pursuit Squadrons. The 67th PS used them at Cactus as ground support aircraft since they were useless to use them against the Zero. They were unable to get to altitude because they did not have the correct oxygen system for the plane. They had to stay under 14,000 or risk passing out from lack of oxygen. I read this in a book about the squadron that was self published by one of it's officers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner