Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite decade in film?

What is your favorite decade in film?

• Total voters

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yes there are a number of great films made n the 70's, but it was more of the small / inexpensive films and even average films for the time fell to abysmal levels of shoddy workmanship.

Yes, there were quite a number of memorable '70s films: Patton, The Godfather (1 & 2), Apocalypse Now, One Flew Ovef the Cuckoo's Nest, The French Connection (ok, especially for the car chase), Network (as LizzieMaine mentioned), The Deer Hunter, Chinatown, American Graffiti, and who could leave out Young Frankenstein?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Maybe the problem (or happilly?) is that we just remember the good films. The most of production was (is?) pure junk for teenagers. Anyway, the best we cando is to see is to know what is good...

But to try to remember quickly the really good film from 1981 is hard!

Martin

Yes, there were quite a number of memorable '70s films: Patton, The Godfather (1 & 2), Apocalypse Now, One Flew Ovef the Cuckoo's Nest, The French Connection (ok, especially for the car chase), Network (as LizzieMaine mentioned), The Deer Hunter, Chinatown, American Graffiti, and who could leave out Young Frankenstein?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
yup :) Not your favorite?? if I remember, but I love it.
I don't hate it (it would make my top 30) but on reflection I may have mother issues with the film. It was my mother's absolute favorite film and as a child whenever it was on TV or there was a theater revival I was sat down and made to watch. [huh]

rue

I don't hate it (it would make my top 30) but on reflection I may have mother issues with the film. It was my mother's absolute favorite film and as a child whenever it was on TV or there was a theater revival I was sat down and made to watch. [huh]

When you said mother issues I was a little worried lol I understand what you're saying though, my husband has the same issue with Elvis because his mother was a freak about him. The woman cried when the man died :rolleyes:

Papa Noir

New in Town
The 1940's specifically for the great film noirs, even though some really good ones were made in the 50's. Also really enjoy the Technicolor musicals of the 40's. Just a really fun time for films in general.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, '30s and '40s have grabbed (expectedly) the lion's share of the votes...

You know, I can't say I'm surprised, seeing as this forum is mainly centered on these decades' aesthetics. There's something about the quality of 1960s films that I prefer for some reason. There are definitely garbage, low-budget, or b-movie films of any decade though. To tell the truth, I don't think I've exposed myself to too much of the cinema of the 1930s and '40s yet. I have seen a number of film noir, gangster, and adventure films of the era, but that number can probably be twenty at best. I'm working my way, gradually, through some of the film noir lately though. I might try to see This Gun For Hire next, which should be a good one.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
I know it's not a calendar decade, but there were some excellent films made between 1945 and 1955 on both sides of the Atlantic.

The Killers, Night and the City, Brighton Rock, Brief Encounter, Dark Passage, A Bad Day at Black Rock.

You can't get much better than that in my opinion

Kirstenkat

New in Town
The 40's for me, the films were so classic, glamorous, and the plots always hold my attention the way others don't.
I do enjoy 90's movies as well, for sappier movies. I've seen so many feel good 90's movies that hold something special today's movies don't. I could be partial though because that was my childhood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails