Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Okay, what kind of crease have I come up with here?

Borso_Bash_02.jpg

Borso_Bash_03.jpg

The hat is a 1960s-era Borsalino, charcoal gray, high crown, 2 3/8" brim. Most of my hats wind up with a diamond-with-dome, as I call it, to give my head room under the crown. But I started with a center dent here, and began to crease a diamond into it, then, for some reason, stopped. The crown's high enough not to scrape my skull, and I like the way the hat looks on me. It's sort of a center dent with a T. Is there a name for this?

m0nk

One Too Many
Okay, what kind of crease have I come up with here?

Borso_Bash_02.jpg

Borso_Bash_03.jpg

The hat is a 1960s-era Borsalino, charcoal gray, high crown, 2 3/8" brim. Most of my hats wind up with a diamond-with-dome, as I call it, to give my head room under the crown. But I started with a center dent here, and began to crease a diamond into it, then, for some reason, stopped. The crown's high enough not to scrape my skull, and I like the way the hat looks on me. It's sort of a center dent with a T. Is there a name for this?
It looks cool and reminds me of a pic I saw in the Fed IV thread. The poster called it his "theropod stomp" crease. I think this describes it perfectly. :D

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The diamond is my go to crease, with the center dent second. Each hat is different and it takes a little time, but eventually, i get the crease that fits the individual hat.

scooter

Practically Family
The only hats I have, and there are many, that are not C crowns are feeble attempts at diamonds. Just can't convince myself anything else looks good on me.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Curious, will a crease make a difference in how the hat looks to others? My Stetson has a center dent and the Buckaroo has a C Crown.

photo6-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

I kinda like the deeper creases of the Stetson but it may not make a whole hill of beans if changing the Buckaroo to a center dent would give the same appearance.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Curious, will a crease make a difference in how the hat looks to others? My Stetson has a center dent and the Buckaroo has a C Crown.

photo4-1.jpg

I kinda like the deeper creases of the Stetson but it may not make a whole hill of beans if changing the Buckaroo to a center dent would give the same appearance.
There is nothing quite like an Open Road style hat. As someone here has said, it'll go with anything short of formal wear!

m0nk

One Too Many
So I have posted here before, and want to give my latest assessment of the favored crease and how it holds up to other hats:

I really like the tall diamond, but it doesn't work on every hat. The crown must be tall to begin with, at least 5 1/2", but closer to 6" is better. I've tried it with a 5" crown and found the result to look decent, but not as well as I'd like. It also doesn't work with thicker felts very well. I have a Fed IV with a deep diamond, and it looks good for that felt, but when I reblocked and tried with a higher diamond, the shape came out looking wrong.

Another thing I've learned is that the crown shape has to go with the pinch (the front of the crease). A shallow pinch doesn't work well with a tall diamond and is better with a shorter crown and center-dent, or a taller crown and a deep diamond. The same can be said with a sharp pinch (some refer to this as a "Raiders" pinch, though the style used on the Raiders hat is a classic style, as seen on Eddie Mars' hat in The Big Sleep), this seems to work best with a center-dent.

Just some observations with hats in my collection, and it seems that every single hat of mine has a different crease. Maybe some day I'll have more vintage or lightweight custom hats that can take the crease I like the more, but for now, I have to say my favorite really depends on the hat...

Dronak

Familiar Face
I came across this thread while web searching and the last post isn't too old, so I hope bumping it is OK. All of the fedoras I own right now have a teardrop crease. I haven't seen too much else though. Can someone point me to some information, maybe with pictures, of the various types of hat creases (at least the more popular ones)? I'm kind of curious to know more about it now. Thanks!

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I feel as if the teardrop crown offers a more relaxed look while the center dent is more down to earth look. I own both kinds of crowns, and that's what I'm getting right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley