Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

It's difficult for me to choose a favorite crease for the simple reason that, in my opinion, it depends on the shape and dimensions of the hat. For example, I prefer hats with non-tapered crowns, so almost any of the "popular" creases look good to me on one of those. For a hat with a tapered crown, I prefer a diamond crease because (as has been stated previously in this thread) it tends to push the sides of the crown outward.

That said, currently I have only one fedora, an Akubra Fed IV, which I gave a center dent and a not-too-tight front pinch. My second fedora will be an Akubra Campdraft (Silverbelly), for which I'm nearing the end of the dreaded three-month wait (I hope). Initially I thought I'd give it a teardrop crease, but after reading through the Akubra Campdraft thread and looking at all of the pictures, I'm undecided. The C-crown and teardrop creases are currently the frontrunners (along with the aforementioned not-too-tight front pinch and side dents), but I think the hat, my inexperience with shaping hats, and my fists of ham will ultimately decide what I end up with.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Let's see, I paid a bunch for them, so I must have liked them. In order of purchase:

1. Teardrop Fedora with 2 7/8 inch brim.
2. Stetson Temple with the Indy Center dent. A second custom with center dent on order
3. Montana Peak 4 inch brim.
4. Sunbody with Teardrop 3 inch brim.
5. Rough-rider styled hat, one in Bone, one Sunbody, one in Sahara. Thin teardrop, shallow front dents, brim down front and back.
6. Tombstone hat (Doc Holliday), shallow center dent.
7. John Wayne / Ford Diamond shaped crease. Finished July 2013.
8. Sunbody with a center-dent and a 4 inch brim.
9. Large Black hat with a square dent in the top and side dents. I think Mike Moore called it a Bull-rider.

Later

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
So far I am the only person that voted for cattleman's/ western crease. I am sure I am not the only one though, just the only one to vote so far.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Teardrop for me. There's something about a fedora with a teardrop crown that just seems so right to me.

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm on the fence here. I like a centerdent with a pinch on thin ribbons and a diamond on wide ribbons. But, sometimes it just depends on the hat. If there's not a lot of crown height say 5 1/2 or less I tend to go for the centerdent to maximize height.

GregNYC

One Too Many
As an appreciator of headwear, I enjoy the look of lots of different styles. I have various styles too. But I most prefer a Bogartian teardrop or diamond.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It depends on the hat for me. On fedoras and Western Hats with tall straight crowns, I prefer a Center Dent.

For hats like Open Roads, Stratoliners, Whippets, Playboys, Wanderers,...I think a C-Crown looks best.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to amend my previous post by saying that on a hat that looks too tapered on my head, a diamond pushed into a center dent looks great, and increases the crown width satisfactorily.

DougC

Practically Family
yep--I'm going with "it depends on the hat!" Generally, center dent, C crown/teardrop, cattleman and telescope. I also like the Gus on other people's hats--not mine. I also like the diamond, but, I always seem to re-shape the diamond into a teardrop.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
another +1 for depends on the hat.
I've got center dents with pinches on my fedoras, a centre dent without a pinch on my homburg and a c on my campdraft.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Of course, it depends on the hat, but in general, I like the Jimmy Stewart elongated 6 point diamond or a center dent with tight pinch and long side dents. Nothing else seems to work well for me.

And for cowboy hats, I really hate the old cattlemen crease and replace it with: IMG_4969.jpg

Fed

My favorite western crease is the arena crease. It is a slight modification to the alpine, little taller in the back than front.
The felt hat that Robert Redford wears in The Horse Whisperer movie is a good example.
I also like the brim shape of that hat as well.
Fedora crease favorite is a Jimmy The Lid Teardrop....

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
The hat itself does make all the difference on the crease, but as long as we are just picking davorites...
I love a good diamond crown, C-crowns look great too, but my favorite of all:

20150111_174148-vi.jpg

the deep center with long side dents on my Borsalino

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy