Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, not sure of the model, and I found it in a thrift store. I just asked Loungers in the Borsalino Brotherhood if they could tell me the model and age with the additional pics posted there. Hopefully we will both have more info soon.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
For my Westerns and my fedoras with tall straight crowns, I like a Center Dent...

IW_02.jpg

Stagecoach_R_11.jpg

nutria_2_A.jpg

On others, I like a C crown crease...

Black_Hat_02.jpg

The_RS_jpg.jpg

Brd_02.jpg

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I don't have a particular favourite (it does depend on the hat) but I am uncertain of the difference between some of these creases. Does anyone have a glossary (preferably pictorial)?
;-)

In particular, I'm unsure of the exact difference between Diamond, Teardrop and C-crown. And one I don't know at all is Optimo.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I seem to settle in mostly with teardrops/C-crowns/diamonds on my fedoras, preferably with a dome to clear my skull. But my Open Roads I have with the cattleman crease, albeit with front brim snapped. I've yet to find a hat I think looks good on me with the brim up.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Your Open Crown Creations

Seeing that Stetson has come out with some very nice open crowned hats, I think that we should demonstrate what a consumer can do with an open crowned hat.

To get things going, here are a few of mine:

IMG_4123.JPG IMG_20140528_131739.jpg

Here is a Silverbelly which was creased and had a ribbon swap.

IMG_5052.JPG

Bluegrass CD done in a Jimmy Stewart inspired 6 point diamond

IMG_4936.JPG

Beaver Brand Cowboy hat in a diamond with the cross center. Credit to Jimmy The Lid for his tutorial!

Your turn!

Fed

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Open Crown Creations

Nice thin ribbons, Fed. I like those.

Here's a vintage '40s-'50s Stetson Nutria Western that fellow Lounger, John Galt, converted and gave to me. There were some issues with the brim so a fedora conversion gave this hat new life again. It's one of my favorites. He reblocked it to my size and sent it to me Open Crowned and without a ribbon, because I enjoy doing my own ribbon work. I went with a tall crown and Center Dent. The vintage ribbon is dark brown at 1 3/4 wide with a double bow. I hid the stitching on the bow work...

nutria_3_A.jpg

nutria_2_A.jpg

The_Nutria_03.jpg

nutria_1_A.jpg

Me, wearing the hat...

Conversion_Nutria_01.jpg

Last edited:

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
Excellent work gentlemen. It makes me want to rush out and buy a couple of open crown hats. You're going to get me in trouble with my fiancé.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails