Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Nice work. Love playing with creases. Somehow very soothing.

Yes, I agree.

In fact, the last couple of evenings have included playing with the creases in many of my hats.

I also decided to set up camera phone up at eye level and take moving pictures of me in the hats. I basically turned my head and body so I could see the hat from all angles, the way others would see them.

Guys, photos and mirrors don't give nearly the information that a moving picture does. Hats that I didn't particularly like in the mirror proved to be very nice in motion. And I was able to tweak some creases, and just experiment, with a number of my hats.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
There is just something so clean and crisp about that teardrop. Love it.
Thank you, buddy. I don't have any problems getting them that way. I apply a few ancient Chinese secrets and come up with tall straight crowns and crisp creases. ;) Here's another of my Resistols. This one in Chestnut with a contrasting 6 ply mid ribbon. Same tall crown and same deep crease. I can easily do other creases, I just have a preference for Teardrops...

Resistol_Chestnut_6_A.jpg

Resistol_2a.jpg
Resistol_1a.jpg
Resistol_3a.jpg
Chestnut_SC_Conversion_4.jpg

On the head
Chestnut_Resistol.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I agree.

In fact, the last couple of evenings have included playing with the creases in many of my hats.

I also decided to set up camera phone up at eye level and take moving pictures of me in the hats. I basically turned my head and body so I could see the hat from all angles, the way others would see them.

Guys, photos and mirrors don't give nearly the information that a moving picture does. Hats that I didn't particularly like in the mirror proved to be very nice in motion. And I was able to tweak some creases, and just experiment, with a number of my hats.
agreed 100%

this is why I've been experimenting with WHAYWT motion entries for the past couple weeks

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I started to put my usual diamond in this Mallory, but like it better with five points.
View attachment 105661 View attachment 105662
Greetings Robert et al:
I like it a ton!
I think i’d have to name that crease “The 5 Point Drape” because of the way the rear felt “drapes” over in quite the dramatic form.
Which is a very good and way cool thing imho. Keep em flying!
Be well. Bowen

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
For my Open Road-style hats, I like the cattleman crease, but with the brim dipped in front and curled in back, a la the fedora.

Otherwise, I seem to gravitate to the diamond or C-crown with a small dome in the center to clear my head, moderate-to-deep side pinches, and a somewhat loose pinch in the front. My 1990s-era Stetson Temples came with a centerdent. I reworked the nougat one into a C-crown, but listened to the hat and set it back to centerdent. In contrast, my VS Tucker came with the centerdent, but I had to raise the rear of the crown to miss my own crown. So eventually I redid it into a C-crown, and it is much better to wear that way.

I bought this old Bee Hats western months ago with the intention of converting it to either a fedora or an outback hat. The crown was almost seven inches! Rather than lowering the crown by changing the brim break I just gave it a very deep crease. It was blocked absolutely straight, but it now has a bit of taper but not enough to bother me. The new sweat is in place and it’s waiting the arrival of some vintage grosgrain ribbon. Brim trimmed to 2.75”. I tried to crease it differently but this is what the hat wanted.

e3290c5d16c1b7c6cc55db1d27efea8a.jpg

d93af4feee039b82217f0a1d9bc0cb6d.jpg

2c883927153fbf7c8719f9aa9af551ee.jpg

81140389fd08d1cb42cb61d48e9d1e5f.jpg

The hat in its original condition:

318fb14caaf7be72e895196b4252bc00.jpg

af959eed5e227cecad7fe46d4043f2d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hat creases are iterally organic at my house. This morning I was wearing the pic'd Stetson Playboy for a dog walk. The dogs and I were thru the woods, big open fields and around the lake. I had steamed and shaped a soft diamond yesterday evening in the hat . After the dog walk the crown looked like this:

i-qGXGdP9-M.jpg

A couple of light hits with tree branches, taking it off with gloves to shake snow off the brim and a couple of times tugging it tight to fight the gusty winds off the lake and the crown changed shape. A hat at "work" will have a changing profile.

I could steam in a "long-term crease" but feel that this hat whispers to me to have a soft crease.

Eric -

RJR

Hat creases are iterally organic at my house. This morning I was wearing the pic'd Stetson Playboy for a dog walk. The dogs and I were thru the woods, big open fields and around the lake. I had steamed and shaped a soft diamond yesterday evening in the hat . After the dog walk the crown looked like this:

i-qGXGdP9-M.jpg

A couple of light hits with tree branches, taking it off with gloves to shake snow off the brim and a couple of times tugging it tight to fight the gusty winds off the lake and the crown changed shape. A hat at "work" will have a changing profile.

I could steam in a "long-term crease" but feel that this hat whispers to me to have a soft crease.

Eric -
It has a mind of its own,doesn't it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy