Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
4743415298_332e49fd53_o.jpg
I want a hat like the one in the third row from the top, third from the left. A square full crown and a shortish brim can go together. . . .

Matt Brandon

New in Town
My favorite crease, but it requires a tall crown.

Jwalls, do you think an Akubra Squatter would take a diamond crease? Is there enough crown on it to pull it off? According to the web it has an Open Crown, 5-1/4" to top. As a newbie I would love any hints how to pull it off?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Most of my hats seem to be either teardrop or diamond. A center dent, unless the crown is quite tall, often winds up touching my head at some point, and so I usually crease my open crowns into a diamond-with-dome to clear my head.

That said, last night I tried changing my venerable nougat Stetson Temple into a diamond, but after looking at it I set it back as a center dent. It seemed much taller that way, the hat doesn't touch my head, and the diamond didn't appreciably cancel the taper the hat came with. Maybe this is a good example of "listen to the hat."

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Center dent followed by a diamond. Either with tight front pinch.

I usually go for a diamond if the hat is more tapered than I like. A diamond stands up the sides a little straighter.

masiaka

Familiar Face
For a western hat: Oreana, Telescopic, or Center Dent with wide front pinches. I've recreased my wool felt western into these three over and over as practice for my Campdraft on order. They all shed rain well without having the stereotypical cattleman's crease.

For a Panama hat: Teardrop with with a tight front pinch and as little rake as possible (is that the right term for front to back slope?)

I don't have a fedora yet, but I plan on trying out a teardrop like the Panama and seeing what the CD likes.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For a western: open crown

for a modern western: ft. worth

for a fedora, I like the shallow teardrop with wide-set pinches.

Favorite trademark crease: The JtL treatment

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Most of my Fedora's are center dent w/long front pinch and I'm liking the Teardrop w/ a lot of "tugboat" for my taller crowned felts.

My preference for Western/Cowboy hats it's the traditional Cattlemans/Ft.Worth crease

And for my Panama's the "Cabalero" or c-Crown first with the Optimo a close second.

1961MJS

Hi

Let's see, I paid a bunch for them, so I must have liked them. In order of purchase:

1. Teardrop Fedora with 2 7/8 inch brim.
2. Stetson Temple with the Indy Center dent. A second custom with center dent on order
3. Montana Peak 4 inch brim.
4. Sunbody with Teardrop 3 inch brim.
5. Rough-rider styled hat, one in Bone one Sunbody. Thin teardrop, shallow front dents, brim down front and back.
6. John Wayne / Ford Diamond shaped crease. The ribbon work is scheduled to be finished in January 2012.

Later

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
For me each hat usually likes to be in a certain crease most of the time. I dry bash the hat into several different bash types and one usually sticks out as the right bash for that hat. Sometimes I think it depends on dimensions and taper, other times I know it depends on the hats previous bash. If a hat lived most of its life with a tight center pinch, I often take it to open crown and remove the old crease as much as possible, but then will pick a bash that works well with the previous crease so that the hat doesn't try to slip into it's old form.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Put me in the porkpie camp - porkpie or, looking at that chart, telescope - can't really tell the difference. Both seem to have a ring and a hill on top.

Last edited:

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
While I enjoy the look of all the different creases It seems the Center Dent is what works best on my noggin

Undertow

I've always really liked the teardrop, although given the right size crown, the diamond's not so bad either.

Then again, it all depends on the hat itself. I like some hats with center creases, and some with open crowns, etc.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Cattleman western with a 4" brim is the only hat I feel comfortable wearing - it fits my demeanor pretty good so I'm thankful for that and don't see any need to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo