What is your favorite military vehicle of all time?

Discussion in 'WWII' started by V.C. Brunswick, Jan 17, 2018.

1. M6 Heavy Tank
    Only 40 were produced and never saw combat during WWII.

[​IMG]

Bushman likes this.
  2. GJ nord

GJ nord Familiar Face

Jeep or wc54

Attached Files:

Ticklishchap likes this.
  3. Russian T-90 Tank
    One of my favorite modern tanks

[​IMG]

Trenchfriend likes this.
  4. Edward Reed

Edward Reed New in Town

I'm all about the Army Air Forces so for me its the B-17 Flying Fortress (E and F versions primarily) with the B-24 Liberator (D and J variants) a very close second. Light bombers: B-26 Marauder and B-25 Mitchell are also of interest to me but not as much as the heavies.

5. 31 Model A

31 Model A A-List Customer

V-100's were my experience in Nam running convoys to Kontum and DakTo and back. If I could win the lottery, one of these and a M274 ½-ton 4×4 utility platform truck would be top on my buying list.

V.C. Brunswick and Edward Reed like this.
  6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

A soft spot for the Universal Carrier, more commonly known as the Bren Gun Carrier. My father commanded one in North Africa in 1942:

BGC.jpg

7. Musher

Musher One of the Regulars

I drove a jeep and also gamma goats when I was in the Army on the mid seventies. I'd have to say the jeep.

8. 31 Model A

31 Model A A-List Customer

I'd buy a Gamma Goat and give it to someone I highly dislike. A M-151 was just as dangerous with the type of suspension it had. Too damn easy to roll over and it did.

9. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch Practically Family

Jeep for me. I drove one in Vietnam, not sure exactly which model, but that vehicle had class and it had history.

10. kowalski

kowalski Practically Family

My military vehicle. ;) number 1 for my . I love mine Jeep .They say here ; Jeep and Harley won WW2 :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Trenchfriend likes this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

This is true for me as well...sort of. With regards to motorcycles, there have surely been "better" bikes with regards to reliability and ride comfort, but as far as style and simplicity are concerned there has never been a better bike than the 1940s Harley-Davidson WLA in my opinion:

[​IMG]

Look at that beauty! But I have so little experience with motorcycles that, by default, I'm much better with four tires under me. So my next choice would be the ubiquitous Jeep. Smallish, relatively easy to drive, and dependable as long as no one is shooting at it. But I have even less experience with Jeeps than I have with motorcycles, so my official vote goes to the Volkswagen Kübelwagen Typ 182:

[​IMG]

Germany's version of the Jeep, and I've had three Beetles so I know how to maintain and/or repair one. :D

Yeah, I know this is a "What's your favorite?" thread and not a "Which would you like to own?" thread, but I'd have no idea what to do with a Sherman M4A4 or a Curtiss P-40K Warhawk, and if you can't take 'em out and play with 'em once in a while what's the point? :cool:

12. Kubelwagen basically translates to "Bucketmobile." I love the German language.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. Logician

Logician Familiar Face

Leopard 2A4 tank

The Leopard 2A4 tank is a heavy armoured, main battle tank. The Leopard 2A4 Canadian tank was developed for the German ground forces and is the primary Main Battle Tank of several NATO countries. The Leopard 2A4 tank derives its superior fighting capabilities through its optimal combination of firepower, protection, mobility and controllability.

In 2015 the vehicle has been modified to accept the mine roller system, track width mine plough, and a dozer blade.
    leopard-2a4-02.jpg

V.C. Brunswick likes this.
  14. The jeep used in Vietnam was the Ford M151 "Mutt." It was in service up until the late '80s, early '90s when it was replaced by the Humvee.

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I've read "Kübelwagen" is an abbreviation of "Kübelsitzwagen" which loosely translates into English as "bucket seat car" because, like many German light military vehicles, the early prototypes had no doors and were fitted with bucket seats so passengers wouldn't fall out.

16. DANA 152mm Self-Propelled Gun/Howitzer
    (Czech Republic)

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  17. p51

p51 Practically Family

Mine is sitting in my garage right now, I might take her for a spin this weekend just because I can:
    [​IMG]
    The Kubel is a very cool looking vehicle, and I'd love to own one, but they weren't 4WD and their tires didn't do well in either the sand nor the snow. The US Army tested one alongside a Jeep at Aberdeen Proving Ground and found the German entry to be seriously lacking in most aspects you'd want for a tactical vehicle.

Bushman and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

That's, why I love the 4WD Type 166 "Schwimmwagen".

Imagine it on replacing the 1.1 L Boxer by a todays 1.1 L turbodiesel with 75 PS!! :D

Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Excellent point! If I ever find myself with enough spare cash, I now know who to consult before I buy. ;)