Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I love MAC's ladybug
32544819-177x150-0-0.jpg

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I will have to check that out, I currently have one that is in between Lady Bug and Russian Red (trying to get the most bang for my buck). Can't recall the name though....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Ladies, I have very light, very *pink* skin. Unfortunately not at all "pure ivory" or anything like that. And I've always worn mauve and dark pinkish lipsticks.

What is a good "beginner's red" for that? I'm afraid some reds make me look like a tomato. :rage: (<---actually a fairly truthful interpretation)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Viola,
You could try Revlon's Bed of Roses. It's somewhere between red and pink. It's a little deep to be a pink, but a little light to be a true red. I'd recommend it for people with blue skin undertones, (as opposed to golden/yellow).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, I'm writing that down. I'm making a shopping list of all the reds I see suggested multiple times in this thread, if they're of drugstore brands, but its nice to have leads on ones that are for pink-toned skin, as I see so many lovely ladies in this thread with ivory or golden skin, and that stuff just won't work on me.

I am going to try some real reds, though. I've done mauves for so long and its hard to get a good retro look with them.

Do you really need to use lipliner too?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Viola said:
Ladies, I have very light, very *pink* skin. Unfortunately not at all "pure ivory" or anything like that. And I've always worn mauve and dark pinkish lipsticks.

What is a good "beginner's red" for that? I'm afraid some reds make me look like a tomato. :rage: (<---actually a fairly truthful interpretation)

I was just at Rite Aid today, and they still have the Maybelline retro red lippies and nail polishes... The actual color "Retro Red" looked rather on the pink side. You could give that a try since you mostly wear pinks anyhow.

Reds are funny. The same lippy can look completely different any one person.

Good Luck!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, yay, there's 5384 Rite-Aids near here. lol

I have to cut my hair off and I'm kind of sad about it, so I need new makeup to make me feel better. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ha ha ha.. go on and splurge then! I know just what you mean! New hair=New makeup!

What color are you wearing in your avatar? It looks great!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
In that picture (its really old) I think I'm wearing several layers of makeup including other people's lippie, so danged if I know! lol

My hair is halfway down my back now, so you know that pic is old! :)

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Second the Revlon Volcanic Red- it is a "softer" red and it is definitely one of my favorites as well. The new "nighttime" red that I found and love is Rimmel's Scream.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Viola said:
Do you really need to use lipliner too?

I never do. I think it depends on the person. To date, I've never had any trouble with "bleeding", but some gals do. I'd say go ahead and try without it. If you need one it might make sense to try a skin colored one rather than a red that might or might not match the lipsticks you have. :eusa_doh:

And the gals are right about every red being different on each person. Cover Girl's "Really Red" was much too orange on me, but on my mother it goes pink within a few minutes of application. [huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here is Besame Cherry Red. Our own Desi sent me some samples. I'm also wearing the bisque foundation and sweet pink rouge. I still haven't decided on the lippy.
2105105125_0ce8f31443.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
If the cherry red is what you are wearing in your avatar. I love it. It's very dramatic but it really suits you.

I am still trying to find the perfect red. I don;t think red suits my skin color at all but I just have to wear red lipstick.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Kamikat, I LOVE that color on you!! I'm glad you amde it your avatar.. very beautiful!!! Man I am praying someone fulfilled my request for besame cosmetics now!! Or I'll be buying my own after christmas present right afterwards!;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Wether I go with this color or not, I am getting some lippy from them. After this pic, I blotted my lips on a napkin and haven't touched it since. It has lasted all day, through lunch and several cups of coffee and still looks good. The same with the foundation and rouge. I didn't use any powder over it and it still looks as fresh as when I first applied it. I will have to end my relationship with my MaryKay lady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot