Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Lately I've been putting on a thin layer of Besame noir red, then blotting it to just a stain, then applying a layer of Besame Red over that.

I quite like the effect. It's a little browner and darker than straight besame red, but not as purple as noir red.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My current faves are Besame Red Velvet and Red Hot Red, applied over MAC Cherry lip liner.

I'm still a diehard fan of MAC Ruby Woo and Russian Red, though today I am wearing MAC Red.

For a deeper, wine-red 20s-30s pout, I recommend MAC Dubonnet. It doesn't scream "Look at me!", but it still makes quite a statement :)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
After reading this thread, I went out and bought my first red lipstick. I tried Loreal's Drumbeat Red, liked it in the store, but got home, put it on, and felt I looked like a clown! I gave it to my little sister, and on her it looked HOT! (Boy that made me mad, and she's only 17 too!) I tried it again, and realized I had 2 problems:
1. My foundation was a little too light for me, so in a sence I really did have clown-white makeup on
2. I just wasn't used to red lipstick. The only time I have ever worn it was on stage in a production of Grease. (If only I could remember what shade I wore then, I loved it but thew it away after the show thinking I would never need it again.)

I went back to the store and bought Rimmel's Scream, and went out to dinner that night with it on. It was bold, and I was constantly worried about how I looked (I really annoyed my family with "are you SURE it looks OK?" But they kept telling me it did, so I delt with it. I'm sure if I wear it more often I will get used to it and feel more comfortable, but in the meantime I am still searching for the perfect red that I don't have to question if it looks good or not.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Maybelline Superstay Lipcolor in Flame. Affordable and just the right red for me. I love how well it stays on all day. I usually have to use babywipes to get it all off to kiss my baby goodnight without a smear lol.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
I was wrong...

In my last post I mentioned I had bought Loreal in Drumbeat red, hated it on myself, then gave it to my sister who looked hot in it. I then tried Rimmel's Scream. Well, I tried Scream on for my boyfriend today, and he didn't like it, at all. I went back to CVS and re-bought the Loreal shade, but in my last post I called it Drumbeat, which is one of their shades, but actually it had been Red Rhapsody that I had tried. Anyway, went home, put on Red Rhapsody, and we both loved it. I think the frist time was just a shock, but actually it does look great!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
VargasGirl said:
In my last post I mentioned I had bought Loreal in Drumbeat red, hated it on myself, then gave it to my sister who looked hot in it. I then tried Rimmel's Scream. Well, I tried Scream on for my boyfriend today, and he didn't like it, at all. I went back to CVS and re-bought the Loreal shade, but in my last post I called it Drumbeat, which is one of their shades, but actually it had been Red Rhapsody that I had tried. Anyway, went home, put on Red Rhapsody, and we both loved it. I think the frist time was just a shock, but actually it does look great!

I agree, red lipstick definitely takes some getting used to. I tend to go for a very natural look and I generally wear a very muted brownish red lipstick for everyday. When I first started wearing true red lipstick for 40s events, I always felt like that old commercial, "Here come Julie's lips!" lol I've gotten used to it and I've been figuring out which reds really work for me, but as everyone here has said, it is so difficult to find THE perfect red!

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
When I use to have auburn hair I would lean more towards the
darker reddish browns...however, since I have had my hair dark
brown/black I can't wear these colors well at all. I can do red or pink.
The brighter and bolder the color the better I like it...also because
I don't need to wear too much color on my eyes when I wear these
shades.

Lately, I have been taming it down with a great Revlon Color in Rose.
I think it's called "Everythings Rosy" ... This is my favorite right now.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
You don't even know how much this helps!!! I am definitely off to the drugstore today to invest. Tell me, I am a swing dancer and dance voraciously for hours at a time--which one of these is the best at staying on in any situation? I usually find that after 2 hours of crazy dancing I'm white-lipped and casper-like again...

Blondie

Practically Family
Amazing red lipsticks !

Hi, i know alot of gals here are searching for a great red lipstick, i just wanted to let you know about a lady called Julie Hewett in L.A.that created the red lipsticks used in the movie Pearl Harbour. She has 4 or 5 different reds in her collection, i have 2 of them and they are AMAZING !!!! Not to drying, not too shiny, not too matte, full of pigment, purrrrrrfect

Blondie

Practically Family
Not cheap, but worth every cent, like i said, the pigment content is high, and they are not greasy, they stay on really well.......... I have had my 2 lippies for about 2 years, they still havent run out yet !

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Blondie said:
Not cheap, but worth every cent, like i said, the pigment content is high, and they are not greasy, they stay on really well.......... I have had my 2 lippies for about 2 years, they still havent run out yet !

Really? How often do you wear them?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, which shades do you have and do you have pics of you wearing them? There's a lipstick thread here that's been really useful because of the pics that a lot of gals post.

We should merge this thread!

Blondie

Practically Family
Thora , 70 bucks, thats crazy !!!!!!! I know she a store in L.A, if you know someone from there, maybe they could pick them up for you and post ??
I have Coco noir ~ a darker red, good for night and Rouge noir ~ a great day colour, i dont use them all the time, i tend to switch lipsticks around, i have tonnes of red lipsticks but always end up back using these 2 , they are most similar to original lipsticks in their formula.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I use quite a few but none of them are quite the perfect red that I'm still looking for. I use a cheap lip liner by Barry M but will try the MAC cherry one next time. I like MAC (mac red, russian red and ruby woo), Bourgois Rouge in rouge best and 2 cheap red lipsticks I've found that aren't bad are NYC in retro red and Boots Natural Collection in cherry. I really hate how my lips always look orange in photographs even though I wear blue toned shades :eusa_doh:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Today I'm wearing L'Oreal's Some Like It Scarlett from their Black Dahlia promotion. It's a nice bright red with blue undertones that suits my complexion really well--I always get compliments when I wear it. Of course, it's a limited edition but I generally don't go through lipstick too fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21