Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's terrible that they don't want you to wear your red lipstick at work. Shame on them.
HepKat said:
I just received a sample of Avon's 'Super Red' lipstick, and let me tell you, as soon as I put it on I raced to the computer to see if I could order it. It's the best color, I've been using a very red-red lipstick and the Avon Super Red is a little subtler, but it moisturizes and looks so great!
I can't find this color, HepKat. What is the name of the lipstick type, not just the color, if you don't mind? Thanks.

badleekitty

New in Town
princessofcandl said:
OK... so I don't normally wear red during the day. Yeah, I know. But I got an evaluation a while back during my clinical rotations about my red lips being "a little too much for the work place" especially when paired with my typical 3 inch heels. Geezz.. as if I was husband hunting. Hey, I'm already married. Man, hospitals can be such sticklers.

Anyhow, I usually stick to pinks and browns (besides, I looooove pink). But I found a great red that works for the "day time". MAC Ladybug. Besides I love the name. And yes, I'm one of those weirdos that will by a lipstick with a cute name. :p

Ladybug is a red red (like russian red) but its a semi-glaze so its softer. I pair that with a red lipliner and its perfection!

FYI, Russian red does come in a gloss. But it doesn't have enough color for me.

I would just go mad if my workplace didn't allow me to wear my red lips. I use red everyday since I was 13. I use to have to put red lipstick on at school and hide it from my mom because she felt a girl that age shouldn't wear that shade...Too risque I guess

I love my Mac red lipstick!!! Sometimes I sport deep wine colors but most of the time it is Red;)

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
That's terrible that they don't want you to wear your red lipstick at work. Shame on them.

:eek:fftopic:
Its not so much they won't "let me". I was in my internship doing clinical rotations and it was suggested that I tone down the sexyness of my outfits so that I would be taken "seriously". Mind you, I was wearing a wrap dress (that was wrapped all the way), with no slit, to my knees. I mean, for me this is very conservative. But with my heels and red lips they thought it was a bit much.

I had a superviser person I shadowed for 2 1/2 months. And the first day she looked at my shoes and was like.... oh you're gonna want to wear comfortable shoes cuz we do a lot of walking. I told her that they were my comfortable heels and that I would be fine cuz I wear heels all the time. Well I don't know if she was trying to break me or if it was normal but the first week we where all over that hospital and up and down the three flights of stairs constantly. But I was a wise girl. I kept wearing my comfortable heels (I have 3 pair that are more sturdy yet sexy) and didn't say a word. Health care people can be very competative.

Now I'm looking for a job so when I get one I can wear (almost) whatever I want.

klara

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite lipstick is Dita's Sophisticated Ruby. I'm also fond of her Scarlett Velvet.

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Ah the quest to find (and keep being able to find) my ultimate red lipstick. My quest started many years ago when I bought Chanel 20 matt at a duty free shop in an airport. This shade was striking. It went with everything, went from day to night no problem and never wore off. I have worshipped this lipstick and wore it sparingly for a year or so only to find when I was ready to replace it it was discontinued as Chanel had moved on to a gloss range. My quest then lead me to the next best thing MAC's Santiago, and yes you guessed it - it too was discontinued not long after it's discovery. The quest is still on to find a replacement but in the mean-time MAC's Chilli is OK but not a good match, too orange. I also swear by Russian Red and Ruby Woo. Anybody remember Film Noir? I liked it but it didn't like me.

I would however offer a suggestion as to a perfect red that is not too red in fact it's a nice everyday cream colour from Armani, Lipstick Mania 10. This I discovered when it was given away as a promotion when the film Delovely came out. It wears well - all day and like I said is a great all round colour for any occasion that doesn't shout or shy away, it just say's HELLO in the nicest possible way.

BegintheBeguine

I still have MAC Film Noir and no I don't throw anything away.
HepKat said:
I just received a sample of Avon's 'Super Red' lipstick, and let me tell you, as soon as I put it on I raced to the computer to see if I could order it. It's the best color, I've been using a very red-red lipstick and the Avon Super Red is a little subtler, but it moisturizes and looks so great!
Still no more info on this lipstick, I searched the whole site??!

DrMags

New in Town
Any suggestions for redheads?

I'm naturally dishwater blonde but love living as a redhead. I've always had a problem though finding a red, that doesnt clash with my red hair. Any suggestions ladies?

princessofcandi: i hear yah loud and clear. I'm a drug dealer (legal) and just found out my work will let me have nice big hair rolls! whoo!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
klara said:
One of my favorite lipstick is Dita's Sophisticated Ruby. I'm also fond of her Scarlett Velvet.

What brand is this? Is this by MAC or is it under an different name? Could you post a link if you have one please? Thanks.
I'm totally sucked in by the name Scarlett Velvet!!!!!:)

BegintheBeguine

DrMags

New in Town
Ok so I think someone mentioned it earlier.. but..

I went to MAC today, and picked up their Viva Glam #1. After the initial shock of wearing red for the first time ever in my life, I really liked it!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
MAC reds are my favourites hands down (well MAC anything reallylol ), I just recently picked up Lady Bug, it's really nice and sheer, looks like I've been kissed once or twice;) it's become my favourite day time red:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Doc, if that Viva Glam is what you're wearing in your hair roll pic, it's definitely YOU kid! WOWza!

I wear my hair red as well and usually need a somewhat brown red lip shade.
That looks really good, and I suppose I'll have to take the plunge and visit Mac too!
Nikki

DrMags

New in Town
ohairas said:
Doc, if that Viva Glam is what you're wearing in your hair roll pic, it's definitely YOU kid! WOWza!

I wear my hair red as well and usually need a somewhat brown red lip shade.
That looks really good, and I supposed I'll have to take the plunge and visit Mac too!
Nikki

Indeed it is!

I danced for years and wore bright red (trashy) stage lips, but never have tried red just to wear it. Like I said there was some initial shock, but its a nice shade with my red hair and I think its even "calm enough" to wear to work and get away with it. Maybe that 80 yr old WWII vet will come back and wink at me again. Hehe
lol

klara

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
What brand is this? Is this by MAC or is it under an different name? Could you post a link if you have one please? Thanks.
I'm totally sucked in by the name Scarlett Velvet!!!!!:)

It's actually her own brand which she used to sell on her website. It's no longer available there, so I'm guessing ebay is the only place to look for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner