Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

fernande

Vendor
yeah- I thought that too Wibble!

some of the combinations are a little off that's why I posted a couple shots of me actually using two of their colors in print- its a little bit easier to grasp than looking at some werid little "jellybean blob" that says "lava red"

- I know if you delve deeper you can find explanations of "blending ideas". perhaps that color can be blended with another- or a liner to achieve "chili" (hey I remember I liked that color from mac!)
makeup brands are *always* trying to sell you 4 products to achieve the look.
ha! sad but true.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I haven't read all this thread (and I don't wear red lipstick) but I've heard that Nars Lipstick in Jungle Red is one of the best! Also very popular is Mac's Lipstick in Russian Red. :)

Blondie

Practically Family
Thanks Fernande and Wibblebird !
All the ladies here at The Fedora Lounge seem to have a wealth of knowledge in so many different area's, maybe we need to band together and bring out a book " The Fedora Lounge Guide to being a Vintage Vixen ", we could have hair, clothes, sewing, patterns, shoes, where to shop around the world, purses, looks from the 20's 30's 40's 50's 60', oh the list is endless !lol lol

Kishtu

Practically Family
Being as wot I am a very pale redhead, I can't wear a true bright scarlet (dammit) so I usually wear a more burgundy darker red with pinky tones.

Bourjois Burgundy, it's in a lovely red metallic case with gold trim and it stays on *forever*!

Jeynne

New in Town
I love MAC Pro Longwear Lipcolour in Lasting Lust. It doesn't bleed, and the color lasts...In fact, it takes quite a bit of effort to get it off.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
How did y'all get used to wearing red lips? I've worn a naturalish rosey toffee for a long time. I recently bought some red (Revlon "wine with everything") and tried it on. While it looks nice and is a good color for my complexion, it still looks bright and out of place on me. It screams "date night" to me. Do you wear red all the time or just going out?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I got used to it by wearing a very light coat..and topping it with a lip balm or gloss...it makes it sheer and thus way less 'date night'......in fact thats what I usually still do for most days at work etc.

its red..its just not the 'oh i must go touch up my lipstick 12 times a day' sort of red.....

Sonia Kashuk for Target makes a red gloss I also have and like. Not sure if they still have it, but also worth a try for a less 'done' red.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to find an everyday lipstick that was not too bright, yet still vintage looking. If anyone has any slightly-brighter-than-nude lippies they use a lot with vintage looks, I'd love to know.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
I'd love to find an everyday lipstick that was not too bright, yet still vintage looking. If anyone has any slightly-brighter-than-nude lippies they use a lot with vintage looks, I'd love to know.

I hope I can be of some help. I'm not an expert in brillian reds because I prefer the"mod look" pale lips and a little bit more of mascara , like Jane Shrimpton, one of my favorite British "mod" models ever, but back to topic, these are the lipsticks that you could check out:

Bobbi Brown Ruby Stain (natural soft red stain)
or
Bobbi brown Ruby Shimmer Lipstick (with a little shimmmer, if you like that)
Stila Ava (glossy reddish brown)
Mac Redwood (also reddish brown)

Good Luck Fleur De Guerre!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I think I've finally found it............

Paula Dorf Sheer Calypso. It's a brown red and perfect. Not bright at all and nicely sheer but with guts. All the reds I've tried turn way to bright and pink on me and so far Calypso hasn't. I'm so dang happy.

I wear red lipstick when I ride my motorcycle (just a girly thing to point out to the boys that I ride and I'm still a girl) and I've been wanting a quieter red. I got it at Ulta. A bit higher priced than Revlon and such, but it's worth it so far.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
I really love Clinique's Color Surge lipstick in the shade "flamenco". It's definitely the best lipstick I've ever had, it's so smooth and creamy and has no bad smell. Plus the case is beautiful and matches my vintage compact mirror perfectly! The shade is a very bright red, almost on the verge of orangey.

Recently I also got a Make Up Forever lipstick in "Rouge ?† l?®vres", because I wanted a darker red as well. The colour is great, a dark pinkish red, but the lipstick itself is far from as nice as the Clinique one. It doesn't have that nice creamy smoothness and it smells kind of old. I'm wearing this one in my avatar picture by the way.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Johanna said:
I really love Clinique's Color Surge lipstick in the shade "flamenco". It's definitely the best lipstick I've ever had, it's so smooth and creamy and has no bad smell. Plus the case is beautiful and matches my vintage compact mirror perfectly! The shade is a very bright red, almost on the verge of orangey.

Recently I also got a Make Up Forever lipstick in "Rouge ?† l?®vres", because I wanted a darker red as well. The colour is great, a dark pinkish red, but the lipstick itself is far from as nice as the Clinique one. It doesn't have that nice creamy smoothness and it smells kind of old. I'm wearing this one in my avatar picture by the way.

Johanna, what color are you wearing in your avatar pic?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I can't remember if I posted this before or not...
But for an everyday sort of red, I like Avon's Sheer Red. You don't have to be so careful putting it on.
I also have their Sheer Pink and Sheer Sangria.
I'm wearing the sheer red here, but it's flashed out so not the most perfect picture of it!
Nikki
955571644_0e7fd78db2.jpg

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i love guerlains kiss kiss, but recently discovered a make called island beauty, i found it in my afro carribean hair and beauty suppliers, and they have some amazing retro shades of red and pinks, also the packaging is amazing, looks so authentic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW