Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
i love Mac Russian Red and wear it almost every day to work. often i run late as i am meticulous when applying it! lol reading through this thread it is interesting to see how different the same colour looks on different people - it is a lot more orange on some, on me it is a deep true red.

2 others i have, which i love the colour of but don't wear often are Clinique Cherry Apple and Lancome Cranberry. they are both glosses though which is why i don't often wear them, i hate that they get on my teeth and rub off really easily. also, i dropped the lancome on and now it leaks :rage: so i have had to wrap some tape round it. actually the lancome one stays on ok, but i prefer the matte look. i love that Russian Red with lipcote stays on all day, and only wears in the corners.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
i just decided to look at the lancome website to see if they do Cranberry in a lipstick (sadly not, i guess from the name it was a Christmas edition).

has anyone tried to L'ABSOLU ROUGE range? they have about 35 different shades of red. i think i might have to had a trip into town to have a go with them!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I haven't but i would be interested to know as i have been eyeing them up recently! I usually wear Viva Glam most days, but today i bought a L'oreal studio secrets No 650, because it was in the reduced section in Boots, three quid, bargain!! And it's actually quite nice, a slightly bluey red, not at all drying and it seemed to stay on ok, so i might use that for everyday and dash back tomorrow and buy a couple more!!

retromama

New in Town
cranberrry lipstick

Jasmine Jolene,
Estee Lauder has a really beautiful cranberry lipstick. Check out the double wear lipstick in cranberry. It is a matte ish creme lipstick. The color is gorgeous! Also I just visited Merle Norman and found their new fall colors. Really pretty. I have the color called cherry on top. Their formulas are less creamy than some other brands and remind me a lot of vintage lipsticks. Very pigmented.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Jasmine Jolene said:
thanks retromama, i have just had a look online and that looks gorgeous. looks like a i am going to have a fun girly shopping day on saturday!

I look forward to seeing what you choose. I seem to collect red lipsticks...should do a side by side comparison of my top 15 or so. *lol*

X
BD

retromama

New in Town
Jasmine Jolene: You are so welcome, doll! Red lipstick is one of my addictions. I adore it! Hope you have a wonderful girly day on Saturday!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
retromama said:
Oh yes, and BD, I am so with you on that one. I have a large makeup box just for my lipstick!

Make-up buying is addictive...especially with red lippies. I hear you..I have a make-up drawer..it's over flowing! *lol* So funny, as with my clothes, I use maybe about 20% of it often, if that.

X
BD

The Shirt

Practically Family
I am looking for a super long lasting non-drying red (little gloss factor) for my wedding. I used a Loreal 12 hour thing for my engagement shots and it was gone in little over an hour of applying it. I have thin lips so things tend to "crust" up on the outer edges and I have total color failure on the inside of the lip. I use lipliner and do the blot and apply thing.

I have a few Macs and don't think they last all that long for me. I have clinique as well. Any other stellar suggestions for long wearing types? I feel like I can re-apply during the photos if need be but I don't want to worry the rest of the night. Thanks!

Inky

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
I am looking for a super long lasting non-drying red (little gloss factor) for my wedding. I used a Loreal 12 hour thing for my engagement shots and it was gone in little over an hour of applying it. I have thin lips so things tend to "crust" up on the outer edges and I have total color failure on the inside of the lip. I use lipliner and do the blot and apply thing.

I have a few Macs and don't think they last all that long for me. I have clinique as well. Any other stellar suggestions for long wearing types? I feel like I can re-apply during the photos if need be but I don't want to worry the rest of the night. Thanks!

I haven't had any luck with lippies specifically stated to be "long wearing" and had the same crust result and my lips are not thin.

The very best long wearing thing I have ever used is Lipcote. It is available from the UK (I buy mine on ebay) and I LOVE it. It definitely is drying, but since I only wear lipstick on the weekends, that is not a problem for me. It has made all my lipsticks (MAC, Illamasqua, Nars, Milani) wear like iron.

It helps my lippie stay on so well that i can eat, drink and be merry all night long without reapplying.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
like i posted before, i use Mac Russian Red and i find it very long lasting. i use Lipcote as well - it can be a bit stingy but it's only for a few seconds.

this is how i apply my lippy, and i swear it lasts a full day at work in a call centre, drinking endless coffees and through breaks and lunch. it actually lasts longer than those 'tattoo' type lippies, and the best thing is that it doesn't cry out my lips!

1) if you have any flaky bits, smother in vaseline for a few mins then wipe off and gently massage lips with an old, soft toothbrush
2) apply some foundation or concealer as a base. don't apply it too thick though
3) i don't use a lipliner, i just fill out my lips using a brush then carefully line afterwards. i find doing it this way round means i can better judge if the outer lines are even, if you see what i mean?
4) blot well, then using a thin piece of tissue (i use half of a piece of toilet paper) dust on some loose powder.
5) reapply colour, then blot well again
6) put your finger in your mouth, when you pull it out through your lips the lipstick will come off where it would normally transfer to your lips
7) if needs be, touch up any wobbly edges with some concealer and a brush
8) apply lipcote round edges of lips first, when dry, apply to full lip and allow to dry.

Voila! perfect lips!

9bkIMzdSk-

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I go for a very orangey/peachy (go figure! :p) red that I think...unfortunately...doesn't exist anymore by Revlon, #180 Tangerine Burst. It's great for hard-to-pin redhead coloring. I usually layer it up for the darker, more dramatic red but it's a nice warm color with just one layer as well.

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
Contacted Besame and they are sending me some samples. Cant wait to see what I get. I specifically asked for Merlot, Noir and Cherry being that I am in search of a replacement for my beloved Red Adobe lipstick. I also asked for their choice of a nice copper penny color -or- the most popular color purchased by redheaded customers.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
RainEdayWoman said:
Contacted Besame and they are sending me some samples. Cant wait to see what I get. I specifically asked for Merlot, Noir and Cherry being that I am in search of a replacement for my beloved Red Adobe lipstick. I also asked for their choice of a nice copper penny color -or- the most popular color purchased by redheaded customers.

Great, let me know how you like them when they arrive! I love, love, love their lippies!
X
BD

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
not sure why my pic didn't post, i'll try again with another soon :S

i shopped today and bought THE perfect day lipstick!

it is cockney by Mac, and is in the lustre collection i think. it is quite sheer and glossy anyway, and i can't wait to wear it tomorrow. i still love my Russian Red but at least i have a wearable alternative that doesn't go all over my teeth like glosses tend to

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Jasmine Jolene said:
not sure why my pic didn't post, i'll try again with another soon :S

i shopped today and bought THE perfect day lipstick!

it is cockney by Mac, and is in the lustre collection i think. it is quite sheer and glossy anyway, and i can't wait to wear it tomorrow. i still love my Russian Red but at least i have a wearable alternative that doesn't go all over my teeth like glosses tend to

So you usually wear the Russian Red in the lipglass? I've recently bought that one too - it's good as a summer red - but I've been wondering what the lipstick version is like.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
So you usually wear the Russian Red in the lipglass? I've recently bought that one too - it's good as a summer red - but I've been wondering what the lipstick version is like.

nope, in the lipstick. gona have another go on the photo.....

IMGP3388.JPG

that is the russian red lipstick, as applied above!

IMGP3919.JPG

and cockney. it looks redder in real life, and applied with a brush is quite sheer but can be layered.

yay! pics uploaded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran