Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Only the reds!

As I said before..I'm a hoarder. Wanted to do a little red comparison as I cleaned out my make-up drawer. ;0 yes...I have too much!

X
BD

Just the reds:
redlipslot.jpg

Lot 1 sticks:
redlipslot1.jpg

Lot 1 swatches (L to R):
redlipslot1sw.jpg

Lot 2 sticks:
redlipslot2.jpg

Lot 2 swatches (L to R):
redone.jpg

redlipslot2sw.jpg

*lol* all my reds look the same to me now! If you want to know what brand something is, let me know..too tired to type it all out!

X
BD

Octavia

Familiar Face
Thanks, everyone! Viva Glam 1 is definitely my go-to red, though I'm really anxious to try Dubonnet and Ruby Woo as well. Anyone have any pictures of swatches or even what it looks like on the lips as examples? I can only try one at a time if I'm conscious of my budget here, and I'm not sure which to try first. =P

CherryWry, do you have a picture of the new color? It sounds beautiful.

Wow, Black Dahlia, I'm green with envy! That's a lovely collection. I quite like the fourth swatch to the right on the bottom picture.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ladies, I have a problem. I have to keep telling myself "no more makeup, especially NO more red lipstick." I usually only wear about three-four of them..at this rate they'll dry out. *lol*

Octavia, that swatch is Revlon Matte Lipstick in 'Really Red.' I've only worn it once, but it's lovely.

Tube and on lips here, on some lady:
revlonmatte.jpg

reallyred.jpg

It is very close to MAC's Mattene Lipstick in Classic Dame (first lot of swatches, 6th from left). And also MAC Russian Red (in the first lot of swatches, 7th from left.)

Pic on lips of some lady:
DSC06972.JPG

X
BD

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Lipstick sealer - yay or nay?

Do most ladies use a lipstick sealer? I'm intrigued, but not sure how well they work or if I should just spend the money on more lipstick. :p

Inky

One Too Many
CherryWry said:
Do most ladies use a lipstick sealer? I'm intrigued, but not sure how well they work or if I should just spend the money on more lipstick. :p

I use Lipcote and love it. It is drying so if you have a problem with super dry lips as it is, this might not be right for you.

Works like a charm - I apply once and don't have to touch up, which makes my lippies last forever not just on my lips, but the tubes last longer since I use them less ;)

Inky

One Too Many
Octavia said:
Thanks, everyone! Viva Glam 1 is definitely my go-to red, though I'm really anxious to try Dubonnet and Ruby Woo as well. Anyone have any pictures of swatches or even what it looks like on the lips as examples? I can only try one at a time if I'm conscious of my budget here, and I'm not sure which to try first. =P

I have swatches of some reds (including Ruby Woo and Russian Red) here and here.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Dahlia, you're not the only addict. :) At the end of the week when I go through my purse I usually pull out five or six lipsticks, then there are the eight or twelve on my dresser, the strays tucked in the purse I used last week...

Here's a picture of the Maybelline Colorsensational red revival, with prestige true red liner underneath. Pardon the lousy photo, I broke my camera a few months ago and haven't replaced it yet, so I only have washed-out cell-phone photos available.
red.jpg

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
CherryWry said:
Dahlia, you're not the only addict. :) At the end of the week when I go through my purse I usually pull out five or six lipsticks, then there are the eight or twelve on my dresser, the strays tucked in the purse I used last week...

Here's a picture of the Maybelline Colorsensational red revival, with prestige true red liner underneath. Pardon the lousy photo, I broke my camera a few months ago and haven't replaced it yet, so I only have washed-out cell-phone photos available.
red.jpg

Indeed CherryWry..that's why I love it here, like-minded ladies!

I love that Maybelline colour. *must resist any further red lipstick purchases* my make-up drawer is full-up!

X
BD

Nani

New in Town
I don't use an actual lipstick, but I do use a heavily pigmented thick gloss. I just prefer the feel, honestly!

It's something from Kat Von D's makeup line. The Painted Love gloss in Underage Red. I loooove it. ;)

lareine

A-List Customer
Inky said:
I use Lipcote and love it. It is drying so if you have a problem with super dry lips as it is, this might not be right for you.

Works like a charm - I apply once and don't have to touch up, which makes my lippies last forever not just on my lips, but the tubes last longer since I use them less ;)
I'm a huge Lipcote fan too. I've used it since I was a teenager! I haven't seen it for sale here in New Zealand so I buy mine from the UK. I wouldn't use a regular (as opposed to two-part) lipstick without a slick of Lipcote over it first thing in the morning.

I just learned that Lipcote is a vintage product! Here's an ad from 1951:
lipcote.jpg

(Ad is from here.)

Tatum

Practically Family
Inky said:

Inky, have you been able to buy Lipcote here in the US, and if so, where?

Inky

One Too Many
lareine - what a great advert!! I feel even better using it knowing it's been around a while - thanks for posting it.

tatum - i have not found it in the US but have bought it on ebay a couple of times with success from seller krystaldirect who is in the UK.

lareine

A-List Customer
Funnily enough, the day after I posted that I couldn't find Lipcote in New Zealand, I found it in New Zealand. It was in the tooth-whitening section of my local department store, nowhere near the makeup, which is just bizarre. I wonder if whoever stocked those shelves realised what it is used for!

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
I very rarely wear lipstick as I think it makes me look like a child trying to wear my mum's makeup but I do have a tube of mac (no. 11- Dubonet) and it doesn't look half bad. Red's a hard one to get away with. I'm jealous of all you girl who look wonderful with it lol.

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Wow, there's a lot of lipsticks here :)

Still experimenting, as I've had to go through my collection and get rid of so many (yes, living la vida gluten-free means lip products as well *sigh*). Found something new (to me) from Benefit, Betty's "Flirt Alert". Keep forgetting to use liner (as there is a bleeding problem for me), but it's a great red colour (not a blue-red, so it doesn't immediately turn purple on me). I've kept a few brands (can't remember the names, of course :p ), but I had to get rid of a lot. It's not that the products have gluten in them, but the vitamin E (Tocopherol, or Tocopherol Acetate) is wheat-derived [huh] . Still searching...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I got a new lippy today, Estee Lauder's Classic Red, really nice pillar box red colour, i'm very happy with it, and it's not at all drying and seem to stay on fine, considering it is not a matte lipstick, glam packaging too which helps!

Octavia

Familiar Face
CherryWry, that color is gorgeous! I favor deeper, darker reds over bright reds.

Thanks for the color swatches, Inky!

I ordered some Lipcote (have been meaning to for awhile and this thread just reminded me) and am excited to finally try it. Does it work well to keep lipstick from wearing off when eating? That's one of my biggest peeves with lipstick.

Inky

One Too Many
Octavia said:
Thanks for the color swatches, Inky!

I ordered some Lipcote (have been meaning to for awhile and this thread just reminded me) and am excited to finally try it. Does it work well to keep lipstick from wearing off when eating? That's one of my biggest peeves with lipstick.

You are quite welcome Octavia! and yes, Lipcote helps all my red lippies stay on through meals, drinks, at least 6 to 8 hours easily. I have to use a make up remover wipe to get it off!

Inky

One Too Many
new red lippie alerts!!

There are new red lipsticks on the market for fall. I will post some swatches as soon as I get them off my phone ;)

Make Up For Ever has several lovely new reds in their line, one Matte (#8) and a few lovely satin finishes. All were highly pigmented and great shades of red. However, they are basically duplicates for many reds already in my collection and so none of them came home with me.

Stila has a new line of long wearing glosses with one red shade - it was a deep blue red with a nice shine when applied and apparently leaves a good stain as it dries on the lips. I also took a pass on this as I generally prefer matte lips and so far nothing has topped my Illamasqua Box or MAC Russian Red.

But one little red lipped did make it in my basket at Sephora. Kat Von D released a new small collection called Adora and there is a beautiful and unusual red lipstick. Sephora calls it a "shimmering candy apple red." I would say it is on target. The shimmer is a metallic gold but not gaudy - definitely a different red to have in your arsenal. It is still a matte, which i love, but the shimmer is spectacular. Online photos do not do this justice and it's worth seeing if you like red lippies!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran