Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

swinggal

One Too Many
I am REALLY disappointed with my Mac red. It doesn't very last long at all, it really dries my lips and for $35 - never again. Waste of money for me. Sick of looking for red lipstick that is the perfect shade. Arrrg!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Ive used MAC Ruby Woo, and the colour is lovely, but the texture is hideous! It is so dry and chalky and within 15 minutes my lips are all flakey and cracked looking. Icky!! Is MAC Russian Red the same sort of texture?

The lovliest, dark, plummy 40s looking red I have ever used was a Clarins one, which of course has been discontinued...isnt that ALWAYS the way! Im down to the last of my third tube of it and scrapping the last bits out with a brush. So pretty soon the search will begin again for a great new red!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Lippies galore!

Hello ladies!

I have sooo many favourites!

MAC: Russian Red and Ruby Woo

Nars: can’t remember the names offhand, will post later. Two are lip stick pencils..amazing. One is a very similar colour to MACs Ruby Woo

Besame: Cherry Red, Merlot (want to try Red Hot Red, but can’t find it to buy)

On the cheaper side:

L’Oreal, Penelope Cruz’s red that came out a few years ago..lovely and sheer! Great for daytime.
http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+Cos7b_7//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+Cos7b_7//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}

I’d like to try the new Tom Ford lipsticks, has anyone tried one of his reds?

I’m definitely a make up hoarder…one dresser drawer full +, and I purge twice a year! Oh dear.

Best,
Black Dahlia

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
swinggal said:
I am REALLY disappointed with my Mac red. It doesn't very last long at all, it really dries my lips and for $35 - never again. Waste of money for me. Sick of looking for red lipstick that is the perfect shade. Arrrg!

I use from time to time the Russian Red, and the only time it looks terrible is if my lips are in need of exfoliation. Then it wears off unevenly and the result is not pretty. Otherwise, like my Illamasqua Maneater, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking, and ticking, and ticking...

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia said:
I’d like to try the new Tom Ford lipsticks, has anyone tried one of his reds?

I really want to try one of these, but I just bought a new lipstick (one of the Edward Bess reds, which I'm loving) last week and can't justify it at the moment! I'd also like to see them in person, and I don't think any of the stores near me have them. I do enjoy looking at the swatches to try to decide what color I'd buy!

Octavia

Familiar Face
swinggal said:
Oh, no, that's a bummer to hear! I recently switched to MAC lipsticks and I've found love. I used Revlon's matte collection before and it used to wear off so uneven and sink right into the cracks in my lips even when my lips were well conditioned. I find that MAC lasts (out of an 8+ hour work day, I usually only touch it up twice) and the texture sits really nice and even on my lips. For the record, though, (not sure if this plays a part) I exfoliate my lips with a toothbrush twice a day and always wear Blistex chapstick underneath my lipstick. I never dare to wear matte without chapstick. =P

swinggal

One Too Many
Octavia said:
Oh, no, that's a bummer to hear! I recently switched to MAC lipsticks and I've found love. I used Revlon's matte collection before and it used to wear off so uneven and sink right into the cracks in my lips even when my lips were well conditioned. I find that MAC lasts (out of an 8+ hour work day, I usually only touch it up twice) and the texture sits really nice and even on my lips. For the record, though, (not sure if this plays a part) I exfoliate my lips with a toothbrush twice a day and always wear Blistex chapstick underneath my lipstick. I never dare to wear matte without chapstick. =P

Hmm...I tried the chapstick thing but the Mac went all gloopy on top of it. Juts didnt sit well.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Lusti Weather said:
I really want to try one of these, but I just bought a new lipstick (one of the Edward Bess reds, which I'm loving) last week and can't justify it at the moment! I'd also like to see them in person, and I don't think any of the stores near me have them. I do enjoy looking at the swatches to try to decide what color I'd buy!

Lusti, I haven't seen them in person either. However, I'm on the hunt. I'll let you know when/if I find them. I've not heard of Edward Bess make up, must look that up!

Apparently, the Tom Ford collection isn't out yet - soon...early June. ;)

Thanks!
X
BD

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I always use Ruby Woo but there was one shade made by Sugar Baby.. and Aussie company. It was called "True Blue" and it is my favorite... I don't know if they discontinued it but I can't find it on their site and I haven't gone to ulta to see if they still have it there.

Please ignore the wave clamps and the generally bad photo but here is a picture of the color:
IMG000162.jpg

It's a Matte deeper red that looks good when you wear purples, greens, and cool colors basically. It's not drying in the least bit. I think it would look better for a girl with Fire engine red hair... I always thought wearing red lipstick that matched your red hair looks strange especially if you fill your eyebrows in with a red pencil...

I really wish I could find the color elsewhere.. but all i have is the same old tube that meted in my car ages ago. All I have left is the residue that's melted on to the sides and I have to treat it like gold... because I cant find it anywhere. If you've seen it tell me! :(

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Jezebel_Amazon said:
I always use Ruby Woo but there was one shade made by Sugar Baby.. and Aussie company. It was called "True Blue" and it is my favorite... I don't know if they discontinued it but I can't find it on their site and I haven't gone to ulta to see if they still have it there.

I too have this colour, and some of their other lipsticks (a sheer red). I'm not sure if it's been discontinued, but about a year ago there was a ton of that make up for sale at Winners (TJ Maxx). ;)

Perhaps ebay is your best bet. I see they have some of their products there.

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Other notables

Other notable reds:

Tarte's 24.7 'Monday' love this! Has SPF:

12488.jpg

Bourjois Lovely Rouge, 15 Rouge best:
lovely-rouge-lipstick-rouge-best-07351429402.jpg

And, I love, love, love the Lipstick Queen line. After much searching, found them a couple of months ago:

Red Sinner (matte):
lipstick-queen-red-sinner-lipstick.jpg

Medieval (sheer):
image_0.jpg

I could talk red lipstick all day!

A really lovely cheap lipstick, but great quality is Joe Fresh Style's Ruby matte. Can't find a pic. Boy do I have too much make-up!

X
BD

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Nars Jungle Red lipstick...hmm, wonder if they have a matching nail polish? :)

Jezebel_Amazon, that's not a bad photo at all! You look more glamorous with those wave clamps than, oh, 100% of women I've seen walking around today without them! That red on you is lovely, too; I can see why you're coveting it.

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Jezabel,i will have a look around for you & see what i can find:)
Black Dahlia-Poppy King(lipstick queen) lipsticks are fabulous & i want them so much,i used to use them when they were originally produced in the 90's, but in Australia they are $40 plus postage:eek: so i'll have to hope someone in my family is feeling generous when my b'day comes around;) :)
The Nars dragon lady looks gorgeous!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Yes!!! The Poppy Medievals is superb! I forgot I had it, so iv just rummaged through my makeup drawer and dragged it out! On the back of the packet, I remember it said that it was ispired by the colour ladies used to try and create in medieval times but putting lemon on their lips, or something!

Nikita B

New in Town
Revlon has some new lippies out that are great! They're called Colorburst and I bought True Red and tried it on when I got home, it's perfect! It's brighter than Russian Red and the consistsncy is a bit creamier. I think this will be taking over for a while!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Bunny, I’m pretty sure there is matching nail polish! Divine!

Mrs. Cleaver, I had no idea the line was around in the 90s! I just discovered it about a year ago. It’s hard to find around here too. Actually, it’s not available in the province I live in. :( Thank heavens for online shopping!

Scarlet, I agree Medieval is gorgeous. It’s a great day time lipstick. I have it on now. Always fun to rediscover what we have in our make up collections. I had quite forgotten I had the Sugar Baby lipstick until Jezebel mentioned it!

X
BD

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
Bunny, I’m pretty sure there is matching nail polish! Divine!

Mrs. Cleaver, I had no idea the line was around in the 90s! I just discovered it about a year ago. It’s hard to find around here too. Actually, it’s not available in the province I live in. :( Thank heavens for online shopping!

Scarlet, I agree Medieval is gorgeous. It’s a great day time lipstick. I have it on now. Always fun to rediscover what we have in our make up collections. I had quite forgotten I had the Sugar Baby lipstick until Jezebel mentioned it!

X
BD

Lipstick Queen wasn't, but Poppy King launched a line of matte lipsticks in the 90s. I think the first range was 7 Deadly Sins? Anyway, they were great, but she went bust (IMO she expanded too quickly and overdiversified - I still have some Poppy lingerie) and Lipstick Queen is what has risen from the ashes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo