Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Inky

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
Hey there,
I'll check my Sephora to see if they have the same Kat Von D lippy. If yes, and if anyone needs one, simply send me the money, or some lipstick from England I can't get over here! Trades are more fun. :)
X
BD

I have tried to get some good shots of it for you BD, but it does not photograph well, or I should say I can't get a good shot of it lol

Do you watch LA Ink at all? Kat has been wearing it in a couple of episodes this season. You can see it here in a short clip called "Nikki Interviews Kat." (scroll down to find it in the list, I can't link directly to the specific video)

http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/la-ink-season-4/

I hope that helps - I love the glimmer it has without being glittery sparkles.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Black Dahlia said:
How does it look on? Have a pic to post? I'm still eager to see it on someone.
X
BD

I tried very hard to capture the gold-ish sheen on the lippie - even tried different cameras - and failed utterly. It is kind of matte, and the gold tinge is very subtle but lovely in person.

Here's a recent pic I got done where I'm wearing the lipstick. Please excuse the non-vintage look.

GAH! And apparently I suck at figuring out how to embed a picture here. Trying to put the link in the window that pops up when I click the image icon thingy. Blurgh, fail. Help?

Here's the link.

Inky

One Too Many
BettyMaraschino said:
I absolutly LOVE Illamasqua's lipstick. They do a wonderful red that I wear most days. I think the shade is called Box :)

It's so nice to find another Illamasqua fan!! Box is hands down my favorite red since I bought a tube last year - and boy does it wear well. I have Encounter and Tramp too, which are both nice, but nothing beats Box (not even my old fav MAC's Russian Red!).

I've always found most reds, even those billed as 'suits everyone' and 'vintage red for all skin tones' look far too orange or brown-toned on me.

But I have one red lipstick that suits my colouring fantastically, looks perfect as a general 1940s/1950s silver screen bombshell red, and it was only Aus$3!

It's a chemist brand from Priceline chemists in the colour "Red Berry". There's a website on the bottom of the tube, if anyone's interested - api.net.au

Until I found this lipstick about 18 months ago, I never thought I'd find a red I could wear :)

de-stressed

New in Town
Irene Goodnight said:
I've always found most reds, even those billed as 'suits everyone' and 'vintage red for all skin tones' look far too orange or brown-toned on me.

Same for me. For whatever reason, maybe my complexion (?) reds always look orange on me. (sigh) I will one day find a red lipstick that works great for me, and a perfect pair of shoes :rolleyes:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I have tried to get some good shots of it for you BD, but it does not photograph well, or I should say I can't get a good shot of it lol

Do you watch LA Ink at all? Kat has been wearing it in a couple of episodes this season. You can see it here in a short clip called "Nikki Interviews Kat." (scroll down to find it in the list, I can't link directly to the specific video)

http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/la-ink-season-4/

I hope that helps - I love the glimmer it has without being glittery sparkles.

Thank you for the link Inky..and oh WOW! It's like a metallic red..looks amazing. Must inspect in person. :) I love how it looks!

I don't watch her show, haven't had TV since 2002 or so. I've seen a few episodes here and there though.

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
jillybeanlynn said:
I tried very hard to capture the gold-ish sheen on the lippie - even tried different cameras - and failed utterly. It is kind of matte, and the gold tinge is very subtle but lovely in person.

Here's a recent pic I got done where I'm wearing the lipstick. Please excuse the non-vintage look.

GAH! And apparently I suck at figuring out how to embed a picture here. Trying to put the link in the window that pops up when I click the image icon thingy. Blurgh, fail. Help?

Here's the link.

The lipstick looks amazing Jilly..and your photo! :)

To post a pic here, click the yellow box that looks like it has mountains and a sun in it. Paste the pic url there, et viola!

4975561343_cf2d4e6281.jpg

X
BD

Inky

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
Thank you for the link Inky..and oh WOW! It's like a metallic red..looks amazing. Must inspect in person. :) I love how it looks!

I don't watch her show, haven't had TV since 2002 or so. I've seen a few episodes here and there though.

X
BD

I'm glad you were able to see it. There was a scene a few episodes back where she is outside and wearing it and it was very cool. I'm a sucker for a red lippie!

:eek:fftopic: LA Ink is a car wreck - but I do love seeing people get tattooed, so we just typically fast-forward through the drama.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I'm glad you were able to see it. There was a scene a few episodes back where she is outside and wearing it and it was very cool. I'm a sucker for a red lippie!

:eek:fftopic: LA Ink is a car wreck - but I do love seeing people get tattooed, so we just typically fast-forward through the drama.

I'm a sucker for red lippy too! Now I want to try Illamasqua upon your recommendation. I don't think they carry it at the Sephoras in Canada. :(

Off topic: Yeah..the show didn't impress me much. Reality shows aren't my thing...staged hyper drama!

X
BD

Katarina

New in Town
Has anyone seen Revlon's newest line of lipsticks? It's the Colorburst line, and it's got such sexy, retro packaging! I have three of the lipsticks: Ruby, True Red, and Crimson. Ruby is, well, ruby, and True Red is a little too pink for my taste. But Crimson is an absolutely gorgeous off-red, even though it looks like an unfortunate orange-red on the packaging. I can post photos on Monday; for under $10, these lipsticks have great pigment and last quite a long time (though I occasionally have some flaking issues).

So Revlon's Crimson and NYC's Retro Red are my favorite reds for everyday school/work wear, but my absolute favorite red is still MAC's MAC Red. I'm testing out a few cheapo Wet 'n' Wild reds next; there's one that when I put on, I thought, "Wow, this reminds me of MAC," but I need to do more thorough testing before making such a claim. lol

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I'm a big fan of Revlon's matte collection; their "Really Red" seems to go well with my olive skin tone, which is quite a feat! Plus I love the fact that it's matte; it looks quite velvety and elegant.

Katarina: I have NYC's Retro Red, too...so long as my lip liner is nice enough I find that the cheapo lipsticks work just fine for everyday use.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Black Dahlia said:
The lipstick looks amazing Jilly..and your photo! :)

To post a pic here, click the yellow box that looks like it has mountains and a sun in it. Paste the pic url there, et viola!

X
BD

Thanks for the tip, Black Dahlia. And the compliment. :)

Has anyone tried Illamasqua's lipstick in Encounter, Ignite, or Maneater? Howl looks interesting too. No one here carries them and I can only order online through Sephora. :-/

Inky

One Too Many
jillybeanlynn said:
Has anyone tried Illamasqua's lipstick in Encounter, Ignite, or Maneater? Howl looks interesting too. No one here carries them and I can only order online through Sephora. :-/

I have Box, Encounter and Tramp. I adore Box and consider it my perfect red.

Encounter and Tramp do not stand out as much for me as great perfect reds because I personally prefer the blue based red of Box. Encounter has a slightly orange brick tone and Tramp (even though you didn't mention it) has a slightly more pink base. All three are the same level of matte finish and not too drying on me.

I'm waiting for a chance to see Maneater in person ;)

Veronica

New in Town
Veronica said:
After weeks of hunting (the firsts but not the lasts in that quest), I may have found the one that suits me (winter type) :

- Dior, Rouge Dior, #757 "Red Icon"

I also found a pencil at " The Body Shop" but forgot to write its number...:eusa_doh:

Pic from the #757 "Red Icon", natural light :
dior1k.jpg

KnoxvilleRoxie

New in Town
MAC & Besame

I love MAC, MAC MAC MAC.
Bernie Dexter uses Chilli and I do love it so!
I love to use Viva La Glam and the Brick shade Lip Liner too brilliant stuff.

If your looking for something fab beyond words try Besame - A little on the expensive side but so worth it.
What Katie did are finaly selling it online rather than at the war and peace show! woop woop!

http://www.whatkatiedid.com/public/...es_search_product_type=99&fes_stp_key=Default

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
MAC just released a new permanent line of lip colors - Pro Longwear. I want to check out the reds (Extended Play & Prolong) and pink to see if they suit. The formula is supposed to last up to 12 hours. Will have to see how that claim will work out.

Inky

One Too Many

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Okay, so I'm gonna try this picture embedding thing again.

Here's me in Make Up Forever Moulin Rouge -

4997874070_dc8af15a60.jpg

I used MAC Red Enriched lip liner underneath it, and I think that's why you can kinda see a darker red outline. I tried Make Up Forever 8C Aqua Lip liner with the same lipstick and also like how the red pops a bit more with that.

And here's me in Kat von D Adora after a full day of work, lunch, and drinks -

4997874110_9fe44684a7.jpg

I look enhausted, but hey - the lipstick held up pretty well. :)

~jillybean

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Looks great on you, another colour for me to add to my ever expanding list! Btw, you look beautiful in both pictures, a real head turner as my grandpa would say, love your spotty blouse too!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran