Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I love MAC Lady Danger (in my avatar) for a "going out" red that lasts for hours and hours and hours.

I also like Revlon Red as ity's just such a red colour, if you know what I mean!

Katarina

New in Town
Pina Bridgette said:
MAC just released a new permanent line of lip colors - Pro Longwear. I want to check out the reds (Extended Play & Prolong) and pink to see if they suit. The formula is supposed to last up to 12 hours. Will have to see how that claim will work out.

Inky said:
I was just reading last night a good review of the Longwear lippies here:

http://www.temptalia.com/mac-pro-longwear-lipcreme-review-photos-swatches-overall

Okay, so I just bought one of the lipsticks in Extended Play. Here's a pic:

KCA0Tl.jpg

The lighting sucks, but the color's a deep, blue-red without going too burgundy. It's perfect for fall. I applied it with no liner, just with a lip brush.

The color's got a sheen to it, which is what I suspect is making my lips feel slightly sticky.

So, now I'm going to go eat, have a drink, go to bed, and we'll see how it holds up in the morning. If it doesn't last the 12-15 hours (which I'm guessing it won't), that's okay; the color's pretty and I got the lippy for only $12 (giftcard). :D

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Miss sofia said:
Looks great on you, another colour for me to add to my ever expanding list! Btw, you look beautiful in both pictures, a real head turner as my grandpa would say, love your spotty blouse too!:eusa_clap

Thank you, Miss Sofia! And I understand the ever-expanding list. Just from this thread alone, I'm thinking I'll try to see if I can get samples of some colors to try first rather than buying outright.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
One of my colleagues (she's in her late 70s and very chic) was wearing Nars Red Lizard yesterday and looked AMAZING. Amazing enough that I asked her what lipstick she was wearing. It's a really full-on blue-based red.

I'm not familiar with Nars Red Lizard, but I love Jungle Red, Red Square and Dragon Girl. Dug through this thread to an older post I made for the images:

nars-jungle-red_300.jpg

4296441_raw.jpg

000495-1-nars-dragongirl.jpg

X
BD

Katarina

New in Town
MAC Pro Longwear Lippy

Okay, I've played with it for a couple of days, so here's the mostly-final verdict on the MAC Pro Longwear: it's half-lipstick and half-lip-stain. The lipstick part will last about 3 hours, with some eating and some drinking. The lip stain part comes when the original color has faded considerably, so after about three hours. This color will last another good four to five hours (again, with just *some* eating and drinking*). So, all together, you should reasonably expect seven hours of wear.

I'm giving it one more go tomorrow; my boss is out of town, so there will be no one to witness my lipstick wearing off in a weird fashion. But I don't think I'll see any better results.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies... I have been really enjoying Lip Ink. I have it in Energy Red. I hope to try out a few other colors, however, I am currently out of a job, so the $18 price is a bit steep for me. But it is the best long lasting smudge proof lip color I have found. A tad drying if you don't moisturize properly, but nothing terrible. It does sting a bit at first, but beauty is pain! :-D

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've put three MACs on my wishlist and I hope someone charitable notices:
Dubonnet which I've wanted for a long time.
Hang Up would be fine too.
Lady Bug for summer.

When I look at people's (mainly ladies) blog photos the same lipstick can look very different even on women of similar complexion and when I compare some photos there don't appear to be a difference between Dubonnet and Hang up.

maisie

Practically Family
I love the Revlon matte lipsticks at the moment, they seem to stay on for ages (no disappearing of the lipstick in the middle of you lip!:rage: ) without any lipcoat and have such a great look to them, being matte ofc!
I particulary like Strawberry suede, its a light pinky red but it is sooo cute! And Really Red is also a very nice colour!

I have just bought the Besame Red Hot Red too, and love it! I was going to get the Besame Red but it was slightly too dark pinky for my liking. The tiny lipstick takes getting used to (I have to apply 3 stokes on the bottom lip, whereas a modern 'normal sized' lipstick take only 1!) But for the cute packing I'll put up with that! Also they smell lovely and have such a nice texture! Definitely recommended!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies,
I bought two new reds today, yes, I can’t resist red lipstick!

They’re from a company I’ve never seen before Studiomakeup. I’ve searched the web and can’t find anything on the company! The packaging is very similar to Make Up Forever, and it’s made in the USA (distributed in Florida and Italy).

I bought ‘Truly Red’ and ‘Really Red.’ Highly pigmented and creamy, gorgeous. Can’t wait to wear them. Wish I could find pics!
X
BD

Trumpetina

New in Town
I am a lipstick junkie, but I must admit, I have a hard time with reds. I have tried many-a shades to find the right one for my skin tone. My favorite, (color wise & budget wise), is probably "Temptation" by Rimmel. I am really not sure if it's a blue-red, or an orange-red, etc. (If anyone knows, I would love to know, might make future red lipstick purchases easier!) I love how smooth this applies, and doesn't make my lips dry!

retromama

New in Town
Hi Trumpetina, we're neighbors! I am just across the bridge in IL. Also, I am a lipstick junkie. Let me know if there is a support group nearby. lol

Ok, so I broke down and bought the MAC Pro Longwear Lipcreme. Actually I got two--Prolong and Perpetual Flame. How could I just buy one? :eek:

I love them both. Prolong is probably my fave though. It is a gorgeous true red. (Dare I say that it might be my favorite red EVER?!) Perpetual Flame is more pink. They remind me of the texture of vintage lipstick once you get them on (very pigmented and a little bit sticky). They don't seem to be too drying either. So far a definite thumbs up from me!

Trumpetina

New in Town
retromama said:
Hi Trumpetina, we're neighbors! I am just across the bridge in IL. Also, I am a lipstick junkie. Let me know if there is a support group nearby. lol

Ok, so I broke down and bought the MAC Pro Longwear Lipcreme. Actually I got two--Prolong and Perpetual Flame. How could I just buy one? :eek:

I love them both. Prolong is probably my fave though. It is a gorgeous true red. (Dare I say that it might be my favorite red EVER?!) Perpetual Flame is more pink. They remind me of the texture of vintage lipstick once you get them on (very pigmented and a little bit sticky). They don't seem to be too drying either. So far a definite thumbs up from me!

:eek:fftopic: WOW! Awesome! PM me or add me on Facebook (same username) if you would like to chat! :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
Jasmine Jolene said:
Lillemor - i also really want Dubonnet, in my local shop they didn't have it. it's still on the website though, so i'm not sure if they are phasing it out or what. i was very disappointed i couldn't try it on though.

When they're no longer on the website, does that mean it's definitely been discontinued? I know my SIL just bought me two MAC lipsticks but I can't remember if she said Dubonnet was one of them. There's a Chanel 'Fatale' that's supposed to be very similar according to one blogster and may have better staying qualities.

Regarding Revlon's Cherries In The Snow. I'd been putting off wearing it because it used to be one of my favorites and I didn't want to use it up. Well, I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am. I like deep fuchshia pinks but I already have a Rimmel fuchshia and don't need another one plus it's one of those colors that looks better creamy than matte on me and Cherries In The Snow definitely looks fuchshia or very deep matte pink on me. I think it looks cheap on me plus the application isn't as easy as I remember it. Don't like the reformulation of texture and color.:(

I can't think of what to do with my CITS because no one else I know wears bold lipstick colors so I guess this becomes yet another one of those colors I only use for mixing.:rolleyes:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I went to Sephora to check out Kat Von D's 'Adora' lippy. They were all sold out! But, they had the tester, so at least I got to try it. It was too orangey/rusty on me, so I wasn't too disappointed.

However, I did end up buying some stuff. Make Up Forever has a similar red, as in it has a metallic sheen, but it's more red than rusty. Love it!

makeupforever.jpg

I also purchased the Aqua Cream for lips in Red, #8. Can't wait to try that, apparently it's smudge proof!

make-up-for-ever-aqua-cream-red-8-images-photos-250x252.jpg

X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo