Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Hi, was wondering if I could get some quick help (without having to sort through this thread) I am frugal when it comes to makeup and need some recomends on best bet reds available at stores like Walgreens etc.

Thanks

Honestly, for everyday wear, I think the ultra cheap NYC lipsticks (I have "retro red" right now) are just fine so long as you have a decent red lip liner underneath. I also love the Revlon Matte collection; I have 006 "Really Red" and it's perfect for that vintage matte look.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I just picked up a new red lipstick at the drugstore and it's AMAZING. It's one of those long wearing ones that comes with a gloss to keep it moist, the kind that are usually very drying and occasionally flakey. This one doesn't flake, doesn't feel too dry and comes with a moisturizing top coat that's not really a gloss - it's very comfortable to wear, doesn't come off on anything and is very difficult to get off!

Maybelline Superstay Lipcolor in color 744, "Red". It's a nice, bright, blue-based red.

Ok so I finally got to walgreens today. All the Maybelline Superstays were half off (are they being discontinued?) anyway I picked up "RED" 743 but did not see 744. I also picked up Cherry 735 which looks like the same red but with gold flakes. Has anyone else bought these? I was just wondering about the number discrepency? Anyway I haven't tried either yet will report back later.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Ok so I gals I went to maybelline website and I didn't see anything about superstay lip colors being discontinue that Is the GOOD News.
Bad News is that they do not think anyone will look good in 743 Red I tried every skin and eye color combo they offered but they never recomened it for any.:D
I think it is hilarious that they never recommend their only true red to any one to use.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Hi, was wondering if I could get some quick help (without having to sort through this thread) I am frugal when it comes to makeup and need some recomends on best bet reds available at stores like Walgreens etc.
Thanks

I'm mostly a drug store cowgirl myself. If you're looking for good reds, I think Revlon's Certainly Red is a good classic red. I've also recently picked up Maybelline's new color-sensational lipsticks in Red Revival (slightly darker retro red) and Very Cherry (a pretty standard red). The color sensational lipsticks don't seem to last as long, but I like how it feels.

ongsar

New in Town
Non-Drugstore: MAC Ruby Woo
Drugstore regular: Revlon does several nice ones :)
Long-wear: L'oreal Infallible in Beyonce's Red

I've been wearing this last one ALOT lately, since the infallible formula is not nearly as drying as some long-wear formulas, and it's a nice, true, cherry red. Here's a picture of me wearing it!

front smile by productaddict, on Flickr

Update: changed to better photo, more true to color :)

Last edited:

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
I just picked up a new red lipstick at the drugstore and it's AMAZING. It's one of those long wearing ones that comes with a gloss to keep it moist, the kind that are usually very drying and occasionally flakey. This one doesn't flake, doesn't feel too dry and comes with a moisturizing top coat that's not really a gloss - it's very comfortable to wear, doesn't come off on anything and is very difficult to get off!

Maybelline Superstay Lipcolor in color 744, "Red". It's a nice, bright, blue-based red.

I also got that one about a week ago, and I love it!

Julius8122

New in Town
I found a really cheap, really beautiful red by Ferity called Classic Red. It's almost matte but it's stay-put. I found it on ebay. Cost me $2.50 for two of them. It's a bit darker than cherry but it's lovely.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Redhead--very pale, medium color red hair--

do you gals recommend Russian Red or Ruby Woo? I just don't want anything too pinky/magenta and when $ is tight, even lipstick is an investment!!!!!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Whilst it's not technically a lipstick, I wear Bourjois' Rouge Hi-tech liptint in Rouge Futuriste. It's a water based stain that can be built up in colour, with 2 or 3 coats it comes out a vibrant orangey red, which I love. Because it's a stain it avoids many of the pitfalls of lipstick- won't go on your teeth or smear round your mouth, and whilst it does wear off if you've eaten a meal, for instance, there's no need to rush to the mirror every time you talk/drink/kiss do anything with your mouth, like lipstick. It's really good for those who dislike heavy or sticky products as it literally feels like water going on, then dries. It seems as though the range might have been discontinued, so I keep an eye on Ebay and stock up when I can. I also own it in a deep fuschia shade, for the days when I feel like pink lips :) These are obviously matte too, great if you dislike the shiny look of a lot of modern lip products.

I also have a browny-red terracotta shade of lipstick, 17 Shine On lipstick in Terracotta Spice- this looks great for when I don't want the vividness of the Bourjois stain. Took me ages to find a lipstick that was brownish red and not just brown. Has pretty good staying power too, for a cheap lippy.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
I found my perfect red at Ulta today. I'm a pinky-pale girl with dark auburn hair and hazel eyes, and I finally gave up on trying to pick my own colour and asked one of the salesgirls to help me. She picked out Ulta Collection Moroccan Red. It's wonderful, reddy-brown, very good for those who need a warm red. I also nabbed a Revlon Matte in Fabulous Fig; she recommended that for an everyday shade.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Took the plunge today on MAC Russian Red (yes, the lipliner, the over-gloss, AND the lipstick).

I cannot wait--you gals have been raving about it forever and I'm so excited to try it for myself. Now let's get an occasion. . . not that we need one.

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
Revlon has a Vintage lipstick and polish collection!!!!!!!! :D i was like WHOA when i saw it today :) you have to see the metal vintage inspired lipstick tube they have of fire&ice! :) yay i couldnt resist.

2iiydtc.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
I asked my dad for Fire & Ice but he got mixed up and bought me 'Love That Pink' not a bad shade but I still want Fire & Ice. Cherries In The Snow is fuchshia on me.

I have two favorite winter reds and they're both by MAC. Hang Up and Dubonnet. Dubonnet is more definitely red than Hang Up but they're both really good and don't necessarily have to be as deep as in the tube. I can adjust them to suit my outfit, the daylight, etc. So I'll say Dubonnet!

However, Hang Up is such a flattering shade on me, easy to apply and easy to wear with nearly anything, in any kind of lighting and at any time of the year or day. I hope MAC never discontinues Hang Up.

Revlon's Toast of New York, Wine With Everything, and Rum Raisin look nearly red or very warm brownish-red on my lips. I feel OTT if I'm wearing a red top or my red duffelcoat with red lipstick so on those days the Revlon lipsticks are better than Dubonnet.

I can't wait to see how my MAC Lady Bug looks like in Spring/Summer. I think the shade is better suited for that time of the year but I tested it in early Fall and I love it on me. I've never had so many red or reddish lipsticks that actually look good on me without mixing in other lipstick colors.

Last edited:

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
The Mac Russian Red is my favourite for special occasions when pictures are taken. It is very vibrant and looks good for shoots, but it's far too bold for a normal day.
Russianredbg.jpg

Fig is my everyday red because its not too bold and is a bit more versatile.
resize

Julius8122

New in Town
The Mac Russian Red is my favourite for special occasions when pictures are taken. It is very vibrant and looks good for shoots, but it's far too bold for a normal day

I would have to disagree with that statement. I wear Russian Red pretty often during the day and it looks fabulous on me. I get complimented constantly about my lip colors. I find that darker reds aren't appropriate on me for daywear. I think it more matters how it looks on you and how you feel wearing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner