Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

ahasegawa

New in Town
I'm new to the forums and saw this thread and just had to post.

I made it my mission months and months ago to find a PROPER red lipstick, and a fully matte one at that! Trying to find such a thing seems to be harder nowadays than I thought so when I found one and fell in love, I bought multiple tubes.

It's by Revlon and called Revlon Matte in Really Red. I wear it almost everyday and it has never let me down. I'm naturally a very pale and peachy sort of complexion so red's definately stand out. But this one is different! It just doesn't quit. It lasts all day long and I find most days I'm only having to reapply maybe 3 or 4 times in my entire 8 hour shift.

I just can't praise this stuff enough. I absolutely love the matte look and that alone makes this lipstick a true treasure.

I have to agree with this! I havent found a better lipstick yet!

HarlowQueen

New in Town
It really is wonderful, isn't it?! It's such a perfect, classic red and it goes so well with my pale skin and peachy complexion! I've tired for years to find a real red that looked good without being garish and when I found this, I felll in love.

Ruby Red

New in Town
I used to be a loyalist to Besame's Red Velvet, but recently I discovered the most incredible product from Stila- Long Wear Liquid Lip Color in "Fiery". It actually goes on as a gloss, but it dries quickly into the most beautiful matte color that stays put for HOURS with no smudging. It is so easy and looks fresh all day. And it looks wonderful on fair skin.

Here it is.

P269022_hero.jpg

_DSC4453.jpg

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I ended up getting Mac's Russian Red ---BOOM! LOVE IT!

The salesperson convinced me to get the liner-lipstick-gloss combo and I actually think it was a wonderful investment--that stuff goes NOWHERE. Thanks to all who were openly sharing about their MAC-love. :) It helped me a lot.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I've been lucky enough to find that the perfect shade of red for me is in a cheapy brand. It's NYC Sheer Red and when I fill in my lips with red lipliner first it never seems to fade!

zombi

A-List Customer
Ruby Red -- I am going to have to try that. Your coloring is similar to my own and that color looks fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing + sharing a photo!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I picked up Revlon's Just Bitten lipstain in Gothic this weekend and I'm in love! It's just like taking a Sharpie to your lips in terms of application. It's about as difficult to get off as a marker, too, which is great for everyday use-- I don't need to whip out my compact mirror after every sip of water. Gothic is a nice classic, blue-based red; I'm really excited to try out their other reds too.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies,
Just wanted to say I've been wearing the above MAC lip gloss and it's amazing! It's more of a liquid lipstick than a gloss, as it's highly pigmented and not sticky at all. I usually don't like MAC lip glosses as they're goopy and sticky, this one is different. I highly recommend it!
X
BD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I was in Target recently and saw that L'Oreal has a Target-only red collection, in a lipstick and a nail polish. Has anyone tried the "Target Red"?

Julius8122

New in Town
I just have to pass on that MAC's Ruby Woo has left me disappointed. It wears off unevenly and applies unevenly. I bought two tubes and they both do that. I've been wearing it exclusively since the first and it doesn't matter how I apply it, it fades off after a few hours leaving me with what looks like an m on my upper lip. I'm taking them back to MAC today. I want my money back.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Drappa

One Too Many
^Yes, I totally agree! I recently bought Ruby Woo after reading so many raves and being very impressed with Russian Red and the mattene range. It seems too dry to apply properly, like hard work instead of fun, and then comes off unevenly. I still love the colour, but not the consistency. They really need to work on that.

adara260

New in Town
I have been searching for a nice blue red that would suit my irish rose complexion for about 15 years. I have never in all of that time found one that didn't end up looking orangey once it went on, no matter how nice it looked in the tube. Which much to my dismay, included all of the lovely shades of reds from MAC:( . Once I joined this site, I went through all of the makeup listing and wrote down every single shade of red that you ladies suggested and I went on the hunt. I found most of the colors except for the Besame products. They all looked awful!!:rage: It was so frustrating. Then I went into the Shoppers Drug Mart and one of the ladies that works there told me about a really nice true red that was a limited edition from L'oreal that had come out as a promotion and was used on Scarlett Johannson for when she was doing the Black Dahlia stuff. They had all the left over stock in the back room to go back with the sales rep the next time that she came in. But the lady offered to go and get some for me and am I glad that she did. The lip liner is called Scarlett Glamour and the lipstick is called Leading Lady Red. I am madly in love with it and it is the first red that has ever suited me. Even my husband was like, wow that looks great!:) I just figured that I would let everyone know incase your stores might have any stashed away. I bought 4 tubes of lipstick and 4 lipliners since I knew that I would run out and then be mad because I couldn't get it anymore. The lady that helped me, told me that this shade was selling better then the high end stuff from Chanel and products in that range because the color was so nice and the lipstick feels so smooth and goes on so nicely even though it has a matte sort of finish. Anyways enough of my long long story. Enjoy!!!

Lucky you! I saw those when it came out years ago but didn't get any. I knew when I walked away that I would be sorry LOL.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I just have to pass on that MAC's Ruby Woo has left me disappointed. It wears off unevenly and applies unevenly. I bought two tubes and they both do that. I've been wearing it exclusively since the first and it doesn't matter how I apply it, it fades off after a few hours leaving me with what looks like an m on my upper lip. I'm taking them back to MAC today. I want my money back.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi there,

I've owned several tubes on Ruby Woo over the years, and I agree it is very dry/matte. I don't have a problem with it going on unevenly or rubbing off however. I always start with the MAC cherry liner first, do you use a liner? Also, I find Ruby Woo and other matte lipsticks go on better if I put a lip chap on first.
1) apply lip chap
2) blot with powder
3) lip liner
4) lip stick
5) blot with powder

Also, maybe applying Ruby Woo with a lip brush would work better?

X
BD

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Hi ladies, I use ruby woo too (rhyme!), and I have to say I love it, I don't have the problem that it applies or wears off unevenly. Although for me, I prefer wearing it without lipliner. I used to wear it with a lipliner from Rimmel in "fire", which was very bright red, but I'd find it could become a bit 'cakey' and then come off in 'flakes' when eating etc. I prefer the feel of just lipstick and it seems to stay on better too. I don't mind reapplying after eating/drinking.

I also wear a lipstick from Guerlain in 'insolense de rouge', it's a true blueish red. I don't normally buy their makeup but my fiance bought me the lipstick as a present. It's a creamy, bright and shiny consistency rather than matte. I prefer matte, but it's quite comfortable to wear in daytime, because it's slightly less bright compared to ruby woo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner