Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The Rockette Red is amazing looking! I'm wary of the reviews that say you don't need a liner though... Every deep-hued lipstick should be worn with liner, especially red.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just ordered the Roulette Red. I'll let you know how I like it after it arrives.
I think some reds NEED liner and some don't. I always wear liner with Besame Cherry Red, but go without when wearing Maybelline Red Revival. I also find that liner looks odd when worn with any of the long-wearing lipsticks that are like a paint that you let dry, then apply a sealant.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I also find that liner looks odd when worn with any of the long-wearing lipsticks that are like a paint that you let dry, then apply a sealant.

For sure. Those lipsticks are supposed to eradicate every other step I think. Do you like those kinds? I've tried MAC's, but I thought it felt awful!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've tried Infallible by L'Oreal. It felt ok, but the color dried much brighter than pictured, so it doesn't suit me. The sealant feels like a nice lip balm and I wear it when I use Besame Noir as a stain.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I used to wear Ruby Woo by MAC, but a few weeks ago i bought "Cherry" by Boots No. 7 and it's my new favourite! It's a slightly darker than Ruby Woo (but only just) blueish red. It's only semi-matte (matte after a bit of blotching though!) and less drying and more comfortable to wear. I recommend it! For times when you don't want to wear a bright red lipstick, "vintage rose" by Boots No. 7 is also great, that's a very period-like matte reddish pink, which is more subtle than red.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh thanks for the heads up Lina, i've got a Boots voucher and have been looking for a pinky red lippie, not to mention a Ruby woo lippie-a-like that isn't so drying.

I recently bought Max Factor Pink Brandy, which is a lovely light coral pink and it's my new everyday favourite for Summer. It is not matte, but really rather moisturising, ideal for this weather.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I did order from Rockalily, both Rockette Red and Roulette Red. I love them both- amazing colours and texture.

030k.jpg

I'm going to wear them with lipliner, because I find it much easier to get a nice shape, but they work fine just from the tube- I was a bit surprised. The lighter shade is still darker than Ruby Woo, but not too dark for daytime wear.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
You look lovely isis, the colour is so great on you.

Actually i have found a new holy grail lippie. It's Paul and Joe's red lipstick, i had a trial with a make up artist on Saturday and i am in love, although yet to purchase, as they had run out of it, drat! It has a sheer, satiny texture and is a lovely deep dark red. I got a few compliments from people so it must be good! I don't mind a sheerer texture for summer, much as i am a matte girl at heart. But it felt lovely on and stayed put considering it was on the sheerer side. They do some lovely nudes and corals too. I will post a swatch and the name of the lippie when i get my hands on it.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I bought my first tube of Ruby Woo yesterday and agree that it's really drying - far more so than the Viva Glam. I was surprised at how different it felt. For the rest of the week, my mission is to try various liner/balm combos to find the secret formula that will make it work for me, as I LOVE the color. The fact that the MAC lipsticks smell vaguely of chocolate doesn't hurt, either.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I bought my first tube of Ruby Woo yesterday and agree that it's really drying - far more so than the Viva Glam. I was surprised at how different it felt. For the rest of the week, my mission is to try various liner/balm combos to find the secret formula that will make it work for me, as I LOVE the color. The fact that the MAC lipsticks smell vaguely of chocolate doesn't hurt, either.

If you get a balm that tingles and has a red colour to it, that might solve your problem. My favourite is Philosophy's Peppermint Bark, it smells to heaven and feels so nice on your lips :)

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
That's a good idea, C-dot. I just picked up Burt's Bees tinted lip balm in Red Dahlia, and I'm loving it. Feels so good on, and I dig all natural products :)

Lusty Haze

New in Town
I recommended Ruby Woo to someone yesterday, they stopped me on the street asking me what lipstick I was wearing so I told her what it was. She was surprised about how long it'd lasted lol. Dunno how she knew how long I'd been wearing it though haha.

I agree with Ruby Woo being very drying. I find it tends to peel a lot, so I have to take it off and reapply it two or three times a day. I still love the colour though. Yet to find anything as matte.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Found a cheap one recently, NYC in Retro Red. It's a little greasy but the color is nice and it seems to stay well, amazingly enough. I do use lipliner though that helps keep it contained. At least it's not drying

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That's a good idea, C-dot. I just picked up Burt's Bees tinted lip balm in Red Dahlia, and I'm loving it. Feels so good on, and I dig all natural products :)

I'm putting it on as I type this! It's lovely, not sticky at all :)

Found a cheap one recently, NYC in Retro Red. It's a little greasy but the color is nice and it seems to stay well, amazingly enough. I do use lipliner though that helps keep it contained. At least it's not drying

Do you find their lipsticks have a distinct smell, almost like a crayon? It's not as harsh as other drugstore brands, but its somethin'.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh i love NYC, i may have to give that a whirl. I agree lip liner is a must.

I do love Ruby Woo, but i also have to reapply, but actually i quite like whipping out my compact, i think it's acceptable to retouch in public or at work with a nice vintage compact.

Glad to see you back again Hepkitty, you look ravishing in your new avatar pic!

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I recently started using NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams in Monte Carlo (a deep blue red) and Amsterdam (a corally tomato red). They go on like a gloss, with a doe foot applicator, and dry to a nice matte finish. The formula is quite moisturizing for a matte lipstick and because it has to set, I can go in with a q-tip to correct any errors before it dries. I LOVE IT!

MirandaFern, I love their lip creams too. I'm also pretty happy with Sephora's cream lip stains. I have Always Red, a bluish-red, and it dries matte too. It does stain your lips a bit but I don't buy it for that purpose. I think I still favor the NYX creams over the Sephora though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot