Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
The four I've been rotating lately are:

*Benefit "Dietrich" (discontinued)
*Revlon "Cherries in the Snow"
*Boots Lasting Lipcolor (two ended one with a clear gloss and the other with the lipcolor) in the red shade
*NYC "Retro Red"

Odalisque

A-List Customer
So, I recently bought Revlon Super Lustrous in Fire and Ice lipstick as a budget replacement for Besame's Carmine. The color was a great match but, much to my disappointment, it was super sheer and light wearing.
Usually, I apply my lipstick and blot three times but with this I took off all the color with one blot! :eek:
The other Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks I've had were much "heftier".
Has anyone else had this issue? Did I just get a defective tube?
I so wanted this to be my new signature lipstick. :(

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
RebeccaMUA said:
The four I've been rotating lately are:

*Benefit "Dietrich" (discontinued)
*Revlon "Cherries in the Snow"
*Boots Lasting Lipcolor (two ended one with a clear gloss and the other with the lipcolor) in the red shade
*NYC "Retro Red"
:eek: :rolleyes: Speaking of the Boots Lasting Lipcolor... I still have yours from the QM.. its here with your name on it :)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Besame's Carmine. I love the warm red tone and it wears amazingly well. But I've had three nearly full Besame lipsticks break on me. :mad:
So, my quest continues for that perfect (and stable) lipstick.

Irish_Rin

New in Town
Oh...red

Studio Gear "True Red" (purchased at Ulta $14.00) and a Wet-n-wild Red lip liner. I tried to take a shot but it was way too blurry. I always feel extra patriotic when i wear it. Blue eyes, pale skin and red lips. I'm the American Flag!lol

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Bésame's Cherry Red. I didn't even know it suited me that well, until people started commenting on it and when I saw photos of me wearing it, it became quite clear to me - this is my red (even though it's really kinda pink ;)

3059711234_ab15cd539e_m.jpg

bronzewolf

New in Town
The other day i bought some reds for the first time, i have noticed that they tend to look more pinky on me even though described otherwise, however i bought one "Maybelline - PASSION RED" and this is quite a warm orangy red looks like "Besame's - red hot red" which i first did not like but its grown on me esp if im doing a pinup look... not bad and alot cheaper than MAC
me.jpg
[/IMG]

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Revlon has a vintage line of cosmetics which includes a collection of matte lipsticks. Two reds, a mauve and two pink/nude. I got, RevlonMatte, 'In the red'. I chose this colour because it's the one the model wears on the ad and it looked good. But I think it's a bit dark for me, and I should have gone with the 'Really Red' which is a shade or two lighter/brighter. I've been looking for cheap pharmacy brand matte lipsticks. I was so excited when I found this.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Thanks for the great ideas. Off to the MAC counter tomorrow to check out Viva Glam I, Ruby Woo and Russian Red. Will post which one turns out to be the holy grail. LOVE the 1940s plush red lipstick look - may end up breaking the bank

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Made it to the MAC Counter. Decided on Russian Red. GORGEOUS. No trace of pink. Just pin up red. Was planning on only wearing it for evenings only, but am rethinking that. Makes my skin look brighter, my teeth whiter than white and dare I say, improves me mood. I may have found my new every day shade for 2009.

Lillemor

One Too Many
It's not a vintage red and the finish is too shimmery to be vintage but it looks good on me so I'm glad hub got me Lancome Color Fever 118 So Frivolous Rouge. I thought it looked horrible- and quite frankly; cheap in the tube, but I was pleasantly surprised that it looks good on me.

After doing some google searches I've found out that the 118 has had other names and been different shades[huh] I'm just glad to have a red that suits me even though I'd told him I wanted a deep coral and to tell the salesclerk that my skin is deep olive. I would've preferred a regular semi-matte or creamy finish too. But I'm not complaining!:)

I've finally accepted that mattes don't look good on me. At least I've yet to find a matte lipstick or eyeshadow in any shade that doesn't make my complexion look sallow and ashy. I think matte looks most elegant though so I think it's a shame.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
Besame's Carmine. I love the warm red tone and it wears amazingly well. But I've had three nearly full Besame lipsticks break on me. :mad:
So, my quest continues for that perfect (and stable) lipstick.

Whatever you're wearing in your profile photo, I think it's a gorgeous shade. I really wish (and secretly hope) something like that could suit a deeper olive complexion.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Lillemor said:
Whatever you're wearing in your profile photo, I think it's a gorgeous shade. I really wish (and secretly hope) something like that could suit a deeper olive complexion.

That's the Carmine. :) Thank you, I think it's just lovely. I read your post about the lipstick from your husband. What a great story! I love it when you buy a product (or are given one) that you wouldn't think to try. And you end up loving it. It really helps to break some of those "oh, I could never wear pinks, cool colors, frosts ect"

Redifer

New in Town
I'm addicted to Max Factor's "Rouge" longwear with NYC's "Ruby" layered on top. A nice, vibrant, true red combination with a TINY bit of shimmer, and will stay on throughout a 16 hour shift at a haunted house, so it wins my undying devotion.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
That's the Carmine. :) Thank you, I think it's just lovely. I read your post about the lipstick from your husband. What a great story! I love it when you buy a product (or are given one) that you wouldn't think to try. And you end up loving it. It really helps to break some of those "oh, I could never wear pinks, cool colors, frosts ect"

I wear pinks and frosts well but I know what you're saying.:) I just hope someone will be able to change my perception on how matte make-up looks on me. Maybe I'm just buying cheap/poor formulas or perhaps I'm skill challenged?[huh]

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I wear pinks and frosts well but I know what you're saying.:) I just hope someone will be able to change my perception on how matte make-up looks on me. Maybe I'm just buying cheap/poor formulas or perhaps I'm skill challenged?[huh]

Could you show us a photo of you wearing matte lipstick? I have a hard time picturing why it wouldn't suit you. :) Is it because you feel it gives you a hard look?

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Could you show us a photo of you wearing matte lipstick? I have a hard time picturing why it wouldn't suit you. :) Is it because you feel it gives you a hard look?

It's usually at this time of the year when beauty editors etc. assume that we're all really fair that they push matte make-up products vintage starlets and actresses playing vintage parts are usually fair skinned. I think what I've been used to seeing, has influenced my perception of whom matte make-up suits.

Rush job just for you;) Lipstick only, no make-up :

Pay no attention to hub's radio stuff:

I think this photo comes close to showing my natural complexion (no make-up either):

It was close to that time of the month which is why my already poor complexion was even worse:eek: That's my winter complexion btw. No amount of sun screen can keep my skin from tanning at all in the summer half year and I do insist on my walks!;)

I don't appreciate the way matte lipstick emphasizes my natural lip shape either. I just think it's a strange lip shape.

No lipstick:

VintageRed

Familiar Face
I just picked up the N.Y.C "Retro Red"...it almost feels a little on the orange side, but it's a really nice shade. Certainly has staying power and it'll stain those lips for a whole day, easily. LOL.

n1059901857_264847_5912.jpg

'Scuse the unruly hair!

~D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy