Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

VintageBeauty13

New in Town
ok i saw this thread and i knew i had to respond.
(only my second reply on here)

ever since i can remember i've loved red lipstick. when i was little my mother would buy me this red lipstick (can't remember the brand name but the color was Fantasia) and i would wear it all the time (when i say little i was like 3 or 4 years old playing dress up)

and now my favorite red lipsticks are Retro Red(a true red in my opinion) by NYC (New York Color), Revlon ColorStay Liquid Lipstick in Top Tomato (a darker true red again my opinion), and Ruby by NYC (New York Color)(a coppery red). i'm sure there is more but that's all i can think of right now. i love red lipstick so much!!

i want a couple of MAC's red lipsticks (and one of the first things i look at on a cosmetics website is lipsticks gotta check out those reds!), also Nars and NYX have some really pretty ones. Besame lipsticks are really pretty and i want to try those too.

Sorry i rambled on a bit, but earlier in the post i had mentioned a lipstick called Fantasia, if anyone knows the brand off the top of their head, i'd like to know, but if you can't think of it, no worries.

Thanks.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I don't know if this has been mentioned (I'm sure it has, but thats a lot of posts to go through!)

I've always been told "you need a blue based red lipstick" now I understand that, I just can't tell if one is, or FIND one. Recommendations?

Inky

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned (I'm sure it has, but thats a lot of posts to go through!)

I've always been told "you need a blue based red lipstick" now I understand that, I just can't tell if one is, or FIND one. Recommendations?

Caity Lynn, do you have a MAC counter or store near you? MAC's Russian Red is a blue-based matte red with excellent staying power. Ruby Woo by MAC is also a blue-red, with a brighter tone, also matte. Both of those are my absolute favorite go-to reds. I also like MAC Red, a blue-red with a Satin finish. Much less drying than the mattes, especially Ruby Woo. I like MAC red so much I am on my second tube.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I second the Russian Red- I love it too because it stays the color it is supposed to be. I bought a Clinique red recently, and it turns to hot pink after I put it on. This happens with a lot of reds on me for some reason, but the Russian Red is Perfect. I am wearing it in my avatar :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I don't think I do, or if there is I just don't know it, but the nearest mall is 50 miles away, either way, while those do look divine...I couldn't bring myself to pay 15 dollars for a lipstick!:eek: maybe later in life...any cheaper alternatives?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I know $15 seems like a lot, I thought so at first too. But how many lipsticks have you bought for $5 that you never wear? I think of that way, instead of a bunch I don't wear, or hardly wear, I've got one that is perfect. And it goes on so well, and stays so long, it lasts forever.

Inky

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:
I don't think I do, or if there is I just don't know it, but the nearest mall is 50 miles away, either way, while those do look divine...I couldn't bring myself to pay 15 dollars for a lipstick!:eek: maybe later in life...any cheaper alternatives?

I agree with Texasgirl. $14 does seem a lot but since it lasts on your lips, you reapply less often and the tube will last a very long time, even with daily wear. If you really want to try it this is a free shipping code (with free Zoom Mascara sample) that I used last week at maccosmetics.com and it worked: Lash79

There are some new matte lipsticks out by Revlon available for around $6 or $7. The color "In the Red" is blue based. And if you have a Sephora near you, they have their own line of lipsticks for about $12 - they have a new shade called Red Kiss 28 which looks promising but I haven't tried it.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I absoluty agree with you Ladies, although paying 14-15 dollars for a lipstick seems crazy... MAC lipsticks last forever! I wear my russian red daily and the tube will last me at least 6 months... and you only need one swipe to get FULL color.
I recently bought Nars- Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Dragon... WOW.. LOVE the color.. and the staying power is amazing! I am now switiching between my russian red and the new Nars lip pencil... LOVE my lippy!:D

zendy

A-List Customer
I thirds or fourth the Russian Red by mac. It looks wonderful on everyone I've ever seen it on. So far, it's the only red I have ever bought that I didn't throw out within a week. And to restate the staying power as well as the lifetime, I've had my same tube for at least 4 years( is that gross?), I use a lip brush and barely have to use any at all and I maybe have to apply it a second time after I eat lunch, so the $14 is well worth it.

Spearmint

New in Town
Currently the red in my makeup bag is Revlon's In the Red. I would love to have a few shades of MAC lipstick but I cannot bring myself to pay that much for a single tube of lippy, no matter how good it is.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I have Russian Red by Mac too, it's the best shade. It stays on and looks great. It's funny, my favorite red nail polish is from the Russain collection OPI did a couple years back, called Vodka and Caviar...maybe those Russians are on to something.

For day wear i wear this stuff my bare escentuals. I got it in a set called Buxom Betty, and all i wanted was the gloss, i used up the little tube it came in but i found out they made it in a full size tube. I love it, great for day. Sheer and glossy with just the right amount of red. It's called betty. It's at sephora

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spearmint said:
Currently the red in my makeup bag is Revlon's In the Red. I would love to have a few shades of MAC lipstick but I cannot bring myself to pay that much for a single tube of lippy, no matter how good it is.
You might want to visit the MAC outlet shop at Waterloo Outlets. I got Lady Danger and about 5 other MAC reds cheap and the clerk there is much more helpful than any full-price MAC counter I've ever visited.
Ashley

Honey Doll

Practically Family
What?! MAC outlet?!

BegintheBeguine said:
You might want to visit the MAC outlet shop at Waterloo Outlets. I got Lady Danger and about 5 other MAC reds cheap and the clerk there is much more helpful than any full-price MAC counter I've ever visited.
Ashley

There's a MAC OUTLET at Waterloo? How did I miss that? I just passed it on the thruway last week! I should have stopped.

The new Revlon matte reds are quite good I think....cheap and wear well!

Honey Doll

inge77

New in Town
Brick by Clinique

My absolute favorite shade of red lipstick and lipliner is Brick by Clinique. Unfortunately, this has been discontinued by the company, but could be recreated by Three Custom Color. There also exist very close approximations by Vincent Longo and Sephora. I bought Brick 15 years ago, and still have it, even though I've worn it a zillion times. This stuff really, really lasts. It is a brown-undertoned red, which actually suits everyone. I don't usually wear anything on my lips but Chapstick since I have to drink water every 10 mins., but when I do, it's Brick, and only Brick. Woo-hoo!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
My new favorite is MAC's longwear lipgloss in Lasting Lust. It goes on creamy like a lipstick, dries like a stain (but not one of those cheap stains with too much alcohol) and then lasts for-ev-er! I purchased mine yesterday at noon and it's still almost perfectly applied, lasting through:
-2 hours of athletic swimming
-shower
-dance party
-hot tub
-moving my roomate out of her apartment
-and pizza

It comes with a gloss (which I was skeptical about) but it's very sheer and not to shiny....perfect for when you don't want to go "full" vintage and just want something pretty and natural-looking
And the best part is...
It's only $20!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo