Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

harvesthobo

New in Town
And ohh that looks perfect Odalisque, thanks, that helps! I love whatever you're wearing in your avatar too, if it's the same one.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Honestly, I don't really remember what lipstick that is. That photos so old! :eusa_doh:

But there's a very good chance that it is lady danger.

Aarika

New in Town
Can anyone recommend a lip pencil that matches Revlon's Love That Red? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to pencils as I've always worn pink lipstick and never had to use them. Also, what's a good one to go with MAC's Ruby Woo? I've been persuaded into ordering it by all the rave reviews :)

Inky

One Too Many
I like Clinique's Rich Red, but I also found a good inexpensive lip pencil at Sally's Beauty Supply recently. It's Beautique lipliner in Real Red. I've used both with all my reds (including Ruby Woo) and they're fine.

HoneysuckleRose

New in Town
When you ladies are checking out lipsticks in the shops how do you try out the testers?

I only ask because I was in Boots today and saw some girls actually putting the tester lipsticks on their lips... Not something I'd ever even considered doing. I just tend to put some on my hand/finger and hold it up to my face. Maybe this is why I've bought two red lipsticks now and neither looks any good on me!

Just interested to see if you have any hints!

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
You can actually properly clean the testers first. Like bring a little spray bottle of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), spray the lipstick and wipe with a kleenex and then apply directly to lips or use a qtip to remove some and then put on lips with that. Also, if you are going to a department store or a higher end store you can ask them to clean it for you or have them (if they offer that service) apply it for you as most of those girls work on commission and would be happy to help. :)

I worked doing makeup in a department store and am a certified makeup artist. You also can't put lipstick on your hand and judge how it will look on your face. Your hand is a completely different colour than your face. Just look in the mirror. :)

Hope this helps!

HoneysuckleRose

New in Town
*Schatzi* said:
You also can't put lipstick on your hand and judge how it will look on your face. Your hand is a completely different colour than your face. Just look in the mirror. :)

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, you're right about the difference in skin colour, I think I got it into my head that I could get at least a rough idea of how it would look by just holding it up to my face... Proved myself wrong didn't I! lol

I have a MAC store near me so I think I may go in there and check out some of the colours the ladies here have been raving about!

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Ooo MAC! Yes, good call. They will put the lipstick on for you or clean it for you no problem. I just got my MAC pro discount card and I am thinking about trying some of these lipsticks too. I am especially curious about Russian Red!

Blondie

Practically Family
Inky said:
as a complete red lippie hoarder, I am happy to see a new line I am not familiar with soon to be available at Sephora - Illamasqua. Perhaps some of our lovely English lasses can give us some feedback, since this is a U.K. makeup line.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=Illamasqua

They appear to have some lovely matte lipsticks available (even in black for your goth self as well!) and I can't wait to see them in person!

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P241717&categoryId=C21473

Has anyone tried these lipsticks yet ????

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Blondie said:
Has anyone tried these lipsticks yet ????

I just ordered one of the lipsticks and a nail polish tonight! I'll let everyone know what I think when the order arrives. :) I didn't get one of the reds as I already have so many and couldn't decide between the several Illamasqua ones without being able to see them in person/view real photo swatches.

Inky, I believe it's not going to be in stores until the end of October. The only exception is the Times Square store which is supposed to have it in stock this week. (Can y'all tell I'm sort of makeup obsessed?!)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I just got the red Lip/Eyeliner from Hot Topics, I like it!

P7270628-1.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Lusti Weather said:
I just ordered one of the lipsticks and a nail polish tonight! I'll let everyone know what I think when the order arrives. :) I didn't get one of the reds as I already have so many and couldn't decide between the several Illamasqua ones without being able to see them in person/view real photo swatches.

Inky, I believe it's not going to be in stores until the end of October. The only exception is the Times Square store which is supposed to have it in stock this week. (Can y'all tell I'm sort of makeup obsessed?!)

thanks for that update Lusti Weather! I e-mailed sephora tonight to see if they could tell me when to expect it in my store.

the quest for perfect lip color continues (and i want to test that cake eyeliner!)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Inky said:
thanks for that update Lusti Weather! I e-mailed sephora tonight to see if they could tell me when to expect it in my store.

the quest for perfect lip color continues (and i want to test that cake eyeliner!)

I MUST try this now.. hahaha.. adding to my red collection..hahahahah!

harvesthobo

New in Town
Lady Danger

My Lady Danger from MAC finally came in the mail today - I like it a lot so far; it makes my skin look really fresh and it makes my eyes look bluer, which is kind of an added bonus. I think it's because orange is the complementary color of blue... It also feels really creamy in my opinion, which I like.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
In case anyone is interested, here are my thoughts on the Illamasqua lipstick I ordered:

I bought one of the tamer colors (Wanton, which is actually just like the description on the Sephora website). The shade itself was nice, and the lipstick smelled great (that's important! lol), but I have to say the lipstick itself didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. I found it quite similar to MAC texture wise, and since I'm probably the only person on the planet who isn't a big fan of MAC lipstick (I know, blasphemy!), I probably won't be buying any more from them. Too drying, and it migrated on to my teeth just like MAC! Just as well, as it doesn't look like any Sephoras in my area will be carrying the brand. (List here if you're interested.) I hate to say it, as I hate returning things, but I'm contemplating exchanging it and putting the money toward a red lipstick by another brand!

Despite my underwhelming experience, I'd love to hear if the rest of the ladies here try out their lipsticks. I'm guessing I could be in the minority on this one, since I'm not keen on MAC either, and everyone else seems to love them!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I always try out my lipsticks... and foundations... actually, everything. Too many bad experiences! :eusa_doh:

My favourite red lipstick is MAC's Ladybug. Russian Red was too severe for my poor ghostly white face. I can't find another blue-red shade that I like as much, so I stick with it.

If they EVER discontinue it... Let's just say, the fit I throw in the store won't be pretty! lol

Inky

One Too Many
Lusti Weather said:
In case anyone is interested, here are my thoughts on the Illamasqua lipstick I ordered:

I bought one of the tamer colors (Wanton, which is actually just like the description on the Sephora website). The shade itself was nice, and the lipstick smelled great (that's important! lol), but I have to say the lipstick itself didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. I found it quite similar to MAC texture wise, and since I'm probably the only person on the planet who isn't a big fan of MAC lipstick (I know, blasphemy!), I probably won't be buying any more from them. Too drying, and it migrated on to my teeth just like MAC! Just as well, as it doesn't look like any Sephoras in my area will be carrying the brand. (List here if you're interested.) I hate to say it, as I hate returning things, but I'm contemplating exchanging it and putting the money toward a red lipstick by another brand!

Despite my underwhelming experience, I'd love to hear if the rest of the ladies here try out their lipsticks. I'm guessing I could be in the minority on this one, since I'm not keen on MAC either, and everyone else seems to love them!

thank you for this feedback, Lusti Weather. I like MAC so perhaps I will like Illamasqua. I wanted to try their cake eyeliner as well, but it appears this line won't be coming to my little town's Sephora (though I am just grateful we have one!). I guess I'll cave in with next month's beauty budget for a lippie and eyeliner!

RockabillyHolly

New in Town
harvesthobo said:
My Lady Danger from MAC finally came in the mail today - I like it a lot so far; it makes my skin look really fresh and it makes my eyes look bluer, which is kind of an added bonus. I think it's because orange is the complementary color of blue... It also feels really creamy in my opinion, which I like.
i love Lady Danger!! its such a cool shade. Kinda orange-y. MAC reds are my favorite. in fact i'm wearing MAC Red today over Cherry lip liner. their new Dazzleglass in Love Alert works well as a glittery gloss on top because its stickier and stays put. no feathering!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner