Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I don't know what i'm doing wrong...

I got so excited this weekend. I got a new MAC lipstick last weekend and have been dying to wear it out. I went to see a burlesque show on saturday night and figured what i great time to wear my new lippy. Before the show, i went to a friends housewarming party. My lipstick looked GREAT when i left my house and 20 minutes later when i got to my friends place, it looked like my lips have become flake city! What did i do wrong!? why did it dry out so bad!? I'm starting to become discouraged from red lipstick because this always happens....

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
I got so excited this weekend. I got a new MAC lipstick last weekend and have been dying to wear it out. I went to see a burlesque show on saturday night and figured what i great time to wear my new lippy. Before the show, i went to a friends housewarming party. My lipstick looked GREAT when i left my house and 20 minutes later when i got to my friends place, it looked like my lips have become flake city! What did i do wrong!? why did it dry out so bad!? I'm starting to become discouraged from red lipstick because this always happens....

which MAC lippie was it?

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
It was MAC red. It's a satin finish which i why i'm confused as to why it looked dry!

That is odd with that one, it's on my top 3 favs of MAC reds and I'm on my second tube of it (odd for me, I never by a second of anything!).

So your lips weren't dry before application I take it and they dried up after it was on for about 20 minutes? I'd give it another try and if it does it again, return it, maybe it's an old tube.

You could also try my tip for flaky lips

1. exfoliate with a sugar scrub prior to lip application (i usually do it when i wash my face or shower - just a bit of sugar moistened with water does the trick.

2. Apply a lip balm after you brush your teeth and leave it on while you apply make up. (I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment in a tube).

3. Blot the lip balm off and apply lipstick. If I am using a satin or moisturizing lipstick formula (as in not the Ruby Woo or Russian Red), then I often just apply the lipstick over the balm. It doesn't stay on as long that way but if my lips are super dry it's a better result even if it means i have to reapply more often.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Ya, my lips weren't dry before i put the lipstick on then once they dried out, they got that nasty ring on the inside of my lips (you know what i mean?) I'll exoliating and mositurizing before the next application. Thanks for all the great tips Inky. I'll try them out for sure!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Oh dear, that ALWAYS happens to me, usually with satin finishes too.

I put on my LipSmackers and rub it in real well, then apply my lipstick (matte finish). If not, like Inky says, I will scrub them with sugar or baking soda beforehand.

Tell us how you get on!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
*martini*time* said:
Ya, my lips weren't dry before i put the lipstick on then once they dried out, they got that nasty ring on the inside of my lips (you know what i mean?) I'll exoliating and mositurizing before the next application. Thanks for all the great tips Inky. I'll try them out for sure!

My lips tend to get dry, so I always wear balm underneath lipstick (I recall reading that petroleum-based balms will break down color, so I make sure to use one that's petroleum-free). I also use a primer, which can really help smooth things out a bit as well. All of that said, I have yet to find a MAC red that didn't dry out and leave me with a ring around the lips, even when it was applied by a professional make-up artist! I could be weird though! lol

Miss Pipa

New in Town
Hello ladies, I'm a big fan of MAC lipsticks. I believe they have wonderful red shades with true matte finish. I use So Chaud and Ruby Woo for work and Russian Red when I go out.

But I have to agree that the Ruby Woo one dries out a little and also leaves me with a awful ring around the lips very quickly...

LadyDevereaux

New in Town
I'm currently on a buget so I buy my makeup from Avon. Most of my reds are from there. Havent had any real issues. I do need to moisture my lips more often tho. I usually use burts bees on them.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
So, i took everyones advice this weekend when i wore my red lippy again. I exfoliated, then wore some burts bees when i was doing my makeup and then put a little balm under my lipstick. it stayed on great and i didn't have a gross ring around my lips. Thanks for all your help ladies!

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
So, i took everyones advice this weekend when i wore my red lippy again. I exfoliated, then wore some burts bees when i was doing my makeup and then put a little balm under my lipstick. it stayed on great and i didn't have a gross ring around my lips. Thanks for all your help ladies!

excellent! sometimes we just forget our lips need help too :)

Emer

One of the Regulars
Love red!

Another lip tip:
When I'm using my cold cream, I rub some over my lips to remove my day's lipstick, and I'll spend a little extra time with the wash cloth on them as well. The wash cloth helps to exfoliate my lips and the cold cream moisturizes them. I'll also slather on chapstick before bedtime as well.

Ever since I started doing the vintage thing, I've had one blend that I absolutely love (in this order):

-MAC Prep & Prime lipstick primer (great to prevent feathering)
-Victoria's Secret Very Sexy lipliner in "Warm Honey" all over lips
-Sephora brand lipliner #045, just for lining lips
-Victoria's Secret Very Sexy lipstick in "Don't Stop" applied with a lip brush

It gives me a nice brick red with the Warm Honey lipliner. If I want something a little more brilliant, I line and color in my lips with my Sephora liner. I find that with the prep & prime and lipliner as a base, my lipstick tends to stay on muuuuch longer than normal. This is the result:

beautymark.jpg

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I have the hardest time finding red lipstick because I have so much yellow in my skin, but I'm pale! I like MAC's Viva Glam I, but I have to mix it with a slightly darker liner.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I 'm wearing Besame's Red Hot Red in my avatar and I love it. Another more neutral Red that I discovered is Kat Von D's Misfit. They carry it at Sephora and it's a great every day red that works for office-wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR