Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
Oh dear, that ALWAYS happens to me, usually with satin finishes too.

I put on my LipSmackers and rub it in real well, then apply my lipstick (matte finish). If not, like Inky says, I will scrub them with sugar or baking soda beforehand.

Tell us how you get on!

I second that! Exfoliate before you put on Red Lipstick, every time. Ad moisturize. But allow the moisturizer to sink in a bit before applying. :)

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried that gorgeous (albeit expensive!) Julie Hewett lipsticks on mybabyjo.com? I just ordered some samples to review on my channel. I'm always on the lookout for new reds!

Inky

One Too Many
analiebe said:
i'd never heard of this brand...checked out their site and now i'm too excited to hear your review inky...

The goods will arrive 10/1/09! I will review and compare to Russian Red, Besame Red and possibly Ruby Woo and Besame's Red Hot Red.

I also got the eyeliner cake, brow cake and sealing gels as well

Blondie

Practically Family
Inky said:
The goods will arrive 10/1/09! I will review and compare to Russian Red, Besame Red and possibly Ruby Woo and Besame's Red Hot Red.

I also got the eyeliner cake, brow cake and sealing gels as well
Sitting here patiently waiting.............

Inky

One Too Many
Mr. Sexy UPS came by and after a quick howdie-do I snatched my Sephora package away and opened up the box - mmmm, makeup!

There are HUGE photos for you to look at on my flickr set (my skin tone is a medium tone with yellow undertones).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkyknits/sets/72157622496401458/

I have not yet tried the Illamasqua Box lipstick on my lips, but did an indoor and outdoor lighting comparison to the most common red MAC and Besame (original) lipsticks.

Amazingly enough, they're all different ;) No wonder we continue to search for the perfect red lippie!

At first glance, Box seems to be very nicely pigmented and smooth. Pleasant scent and comes in a very lovely black case. Box is bluer than MAC's Russian Red, and it appears ever so slightly deeper in color and about the same level of matte.

Box is not as matte as Ruby Woo, but not as shiny as Besame (originals), or the MAC Cockney, which is a lustre shade and more transparent (good summer red for me).

I will give it a test drive this weekend and let you all know more - but for now, i like it very much!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Inky said:
Mr. Sexy UPS came by and after a quick howdie-do I snatched my Sephora package away and opened up the box - mmmm, makeup!

There are HUGE photos for you to look at on my flickr set (my skin tone is a medium tone with yellow undertones).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkyknits/sets/72157622496401458/

I have not yet tried the Illamasqua Box lipstick on my lips, but did an indoor and outdoor lighting comparison to the most common red MAC and Besame (original) lipsticks.

Amazingly enough, they're all different ;) No wonder we continue to search for the perfect red lippie!

At first glance, Box seems to be very nicely pigmented and smooth. Pleasant scent and comes in a very lovely black case. Box is bluer than MAC's Russian Red, and it appears ever so slightly deeper in color and about the same level of matte.

Box is not as matte as Ruby Woo, but not as shiny as Besame (originals), or the MAC Cockney, which is a lustre shade and more transparent (good summer red for me).

I will give it a test drive this weekend and let you all know more - but for now, i like it very much!

Ooooooh Inky.. I have been waiting for your review!

Oooohh.. I love the color.. its soo pretty!
Eventhough I have 5 different reds.. I need this one..oh how we are obessed with red lipstick ;)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Oooh makeup fun! That is a lovey color you chose Inky :D I'm sure you will love it!

Makeup Artist Lottie Stannard (www.lotstar.com) says Illamasqua are some of her favorite lipsticks. I'm afraid to visit my local Sephora in the fear that I'll drop a load of $$$ on this brand!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I knew it would be just me that didn't care for the Illamasqua lipsticks! :p Great comparison swatches, Inky!

I just bought a new red last weekend...Chanel's Rouge Allure Lacque in Dragon, which gets two thumbs up from me! It's a liquid lipstick that lasts all day and looks fab. I had to run into MAC and Sephora a few days ago and got compliments on the lipstick at both stores! Dragon is a deep blue-based red, but there's a brighter/warmer red in the Rouge Allure Lacque line as well.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Any NYX or EyesLipsFace recommendations for cool - toned red lipsticks?
I need a light red, the bright ones easily overpowder my face.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I'm really loving Avon Perfect wear extralasting lipstick in Eternal Flame. Great colour and it really does lasts hours on my lips. I find it great for work,when you can't reapply your lipstick all the time.

Inky

One Too Many
Here's a pic of me wearing Illamasqua Box for a night out. It's VERY matte - almost acts like Ruby Woo but not *quite* as drying. It stayed on w/o any further application from 8 p.m. to well after 2:00 a.m. It's my new favorite red (for now ;) )

3983999360_aa9d8115d5.jpg

I'm also wearing Illamasqua's eyebrow cake in Vehement (applied w/o water or sealing gel) and Illamasqua Mislead eyeliner (applied with their sealing gel). I love eyeliner cakes and this is beautiful to apply, a very true black.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Illamasqua's Maneater

3989134176_b953bd1f46.jpg

It doesn't look so day-glow blinding without the flash. It's a nice true red. It goes on smoothly and lasts really well. I would say it is only slightly drying since my lips didn't feel dry until I took it off. When I wiped it off with tissue it left a pleasant stain. The stain was easily removed. I tried the other reds at Sephora and this one looked like the best shade for me. Next time I'll bring my camera :)

Inky

One Too Many
Audrey Horne said:
3989134176_b953bd1f46.jpg

It doesn't look so day-glow blinding without the flash. It's a nice true red. It goes on smoothly and lasts really well. I would say it is only slightly drying since my lips didn't feel dry until I took it off. When I wiped it off with tissue it left a pleasant stain. The stain was easily removed. I tried the other reds at Sephora and this one looked like the best shade for me. Next time I'll bring my camera :)

Audrey, I am very interested in Maneater and Tramp! Which Sephora near Orange carries the line? My folks live in Yorba Linda and I am sometimes down south.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany