Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Inky said:
Audrey, I am very interested in Maneater and Tramp! Which Sephora near Orange carries the line? My folks live in Yorba Linda and I am sometimes down south.
South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa) :) I feel like going back with a camera. I want to try on each red, then run outside and take a picture in natural light. Does that make me crazy?

Inky

One Too Many
Audrey Horne said:
South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa) :) I feel like going back with a camera. I want to try on each red, then run outside and take a picture in natural light. Does that make me crazy?

nope not at all I'd do it, I always step outside the store if I am trying some new shade of anything - if that's too troublesome try that swatch thing I did on your hand in indoor/outdoor light. not as, um, obviously obsessive ;)

hmmm, when am I going behind the Orange curtain again...

zombi

A-List Customer
Today I just bought MAC lipstick in "MAC red", I think. The other reds I had were purchased when I still had blue-black hair and they just didn't look right with my red hair, now. So I bought a new one! I really like it.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Just in case anyone wants an excuse to buy more red lipsticks, I thought I'd let you all know that Sephora is having their friends and family sale right now. The code is FF2009; enter it at checkout and you should get 20% off! (Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on the Lounge.)

Inky

One Too Many
and I took advantage of the Sephora Friends and Family discount code ;)

(good to November 2, 2009)

I picked up Illamasqua's Maneater red lipstick. Although Box (on the left) and Maneater (on the right) seem very much the same looking at the lipstick in the tube, they are different on the skin (larger image here):

4050686570_dc16983724.jpg

Box is a deeper blue-red, very good for evening and I would characterize Maneater as a classic true red - not too blue but not too orange either, very good for day or evening. A brighter red, if you will.

As for wear - I can't say enough about how good this lipstick stays on. It is my hands down new favorite lippie, as are the eye liner, eyebrow powder and sealing gel from Illamasqua. I just picked up a neutral shadow (Succumb) as well to give it a go. I would like to try their foundations but must visit a store to do that.

Blondie

Practically Family
I agree with Inky, the Illamasqua lipsticks are fabulous,
i also have the Box and Maneater shades, i wear Box at night & Maneater
is my new day red, they stay on really well and dont dry my lips out at all.
I think i may try Encounter next !

Anwen

New in Town
I lost my previous favourite red lipstick (a Bourjois one that's no longer sold - have since found it, though!) and based on this thread I bought Ruby Woo, which is lovely. Then on Monday my friend bought me Dior's Celebrity Red which is also fabulous, they are pretty similar but RW is definitely more blueish red whereas CR is more true/slightly orange toned. They both look fab and make me feel very siren-ish, hurray!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
^*%$#*(&)*$ INKY!!!!

I'm loving Ruby Woo by MAC. I love that it's really dry and takes a bit of effort to put on! And it seems to stay put ALL DAY. I'm a convert!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
I'm loving Ruby Woo by MAC. I love that it's really dry and takes a bit of effort to put on!

I just bought a Rimmel lipstick that's similar to Ruby Woo - but its even drier and takes even more effort to put on, and it unfortunately has a smell. I think its called Red Revival. Not bad for 8 bucks!

Inky, you're a babe!

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
I used to just use Rimmel lipliner with Burt's Bees lip balm to achieve a stay-put matte look. THEN I found Revlon's newish matte lipstick, and I'm in love. I use both the true red and a slightly darker red - the darker red is becoming my favorite very quickly. I'm a fan of the drugstore brands; as long as I get the same results as department store brands, I can't justify spending the extra money.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Inky!

Looking fanfreakingtastic as usual! And is that a 49er jacket your sporting with your Maneater lipstick? Very nice!

I made a weak attempt at looking for a red lipstick today. I had to stop at the drugstore (not a great place to look, I suppose). All I found were dark corals and wines but nothing truly in the RED category. Years ago, Charles of the Ritz had a nail polish called Handful of Rubies and I thought it was the perfect dark (blue) red for me. I still have the dried up bottle. Think I will take that and hit the little Sephora shop that opened here not long ago.

Oh this vintage thing...such hard, hard work. LOL I love it! :)

Lenore

Practically Family
Okay.. so Halloween I foolishly sent my husband to walgreens to pick up a "Blue toned Red Colorstay lipstick" to draw a pawprint on my daughter's face that wouldn't easily be removed by a toddler's hand.

He came back with Forever Scarlet. Probably one of the more true reds that I have worn.. but I like it. Worn it almost everyday since. It's very vivid.

Still didn't stop the paw print from coming off though..
930653284805_0_ALB.jpg

ETA: My daughter adored getting "made up" and thought me taking it off with my cold cream the coolest experience. She got to be just like her Mummy which made her day.

Inky

One Too Many
Thank you, Miss Jess, and you make me want platinum hair!

Thank you, 23SkidooWithYou! It's technically a faux 49er by North Trail Sportswear of Green Bay Wisconsin - i bought it from Holly at Lucitebox.com and she has many fab things. When you go to Sephora first see if your store carries Illamasqua (check out all the reds, but Box is a must!) Seriously hands down even more my favorite now than my beloved MAC Russian Red or Ruby Woo (also very good lipsticks but not available at Sephora). You might want to check out Nars Cruella - it's actually a fat lip pencil type of lipstick, and a very lovely soft matte red, not drying as some, but in exchange for that benefit it does not stay on as well either. The Sephora brand also has some very nice reds.

And Lenore your little cheerleader is adorable!!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Thanks Inky!
I will check those out. I've got the Sephora website up now, lol!

Lenore...What a precious doll baby! She adorable and already sporting red lipstick, even if it is a paw print. ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
Thank you! I'm hoping to raise her right... Pencil skirts and peep toes, Marilyn and Jane. My luck she'll think "80's! Oooh! Day-glo!" *slaps head*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24