Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Antje

One Too Many
Russian red from MAC is for me the best red, and it is blue based.
But I think it was Ruby woo from MAC is also a blue based one,
and the Channel red, I think it is nr 22 is also a great one.
Expensive but beautifull

swinggal

One Too Many
I like Bobbi Brown lipstick in Burnt Red which is a blue red. Orange reds make teeth look yellow whereas blue reds make teeth look whiter.

I also line my lips last to touch up the edges, a technique a TV make-up artist friend told me.

December

One of the Regulars
This might be a really silly question, and I'm sorry if it's been answered somewhere in the thread already- there are over 40 pages to trek through to find out!

I've never got the grip of the blue-based thing. How can you tell if a red lipstick is blue based?

appy

Familiar Face
swinggal said:
I like Bobbi Brown lipstick in Burnt Red which is a blue red. Orange reds make teeth look yellow whereas blue reds make teeth look whiter.

I also line my lips last to touch up the edges, a technique a TV make-up artist friend told me.

That's a REALLY good tip! THANKS! :D

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
I really love Mystic by MAC...it is on the cooler side and a bit dark too...I really love the really bright reds but they just look terrible on me.

swinggal

One Too Many
December said:
This might be a really silly question, and I'm sorry if it's been answered somewhere in the thread already- there are over 40 pages to trek through to find out!

I've never got the grip of the blue-based thing. How can you tell if a red lipstick is blue based?

Blue/reds have a cool deep pink, cherry or shiraz/wine tone. Orange/reds are very tomato coloured.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
swinggal is correct, however people's judgment of color does seem to be subjective.

Blue reds do seem to be more popular here, but as a redhead finding a blue red that isn't terrible on me is a chore. I do better with darker brownish reds or tomato reds. If I want white teeth, I'll get bleach strips.

Octavia

Familiar Face
I have a question for the Russian Red lovers – would you recommend it for everyday use (i.e. at the office)? I’ve read a few pages of the thread but I’m still having a hard time guessing so I figured I’d ask opinions. I currently use a matte wine-colored lipstick everyday, which is pretty dramatically dark but seems a bit softer to me since it’s not bright red. Now that I’m ready to cross over to some real reds, I want to try Russian Red but I’m a little nervous as to how bright (maybe even harsh) it may be.

swinggal

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
swinggal is correct, however people's judgment of color does seem to be subjective.

Blue reds do seem to be more popular here, but as a redhead finding a blue red that isn't terrible on me is a chore. I do better with darker brownish reds or tomato reds. If I want white teeth, I'll get bleach strips.

I have red hair too and orange reds always look aweful on me. I like the browny red as well sometimes.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:

Are you a natural redhead? Ladies who wear blue-based red hair tend to look better in a blue-based red lipstick but blue-based redheads are never seen in nature :D If you're a natural redhead or wear a more natural color of dyed red, an neutral or orange base works better.

SayCici

Practically Family
Has anyone posted about Urban Decay? They're 100% cruelty free (not tested on animals) and a good portion of their line is vegan.

26700.jpg

I love it and the little dagger at the bottom of the tube.

zendy

A-List Customer
Cici
I haven't tried the Urban decay, but I have recently formed a love afair with Smashbox. Their stuff all carries the jumping bunny and their lipstick in Legendary(true red) is fantastic. I like it cause it goes on a bit sheer which I like for school but can be layered up for nights. I've also heard rave reviews about Ravishing wich looks more of a blue red and a few bucks cheaper cause I think it's being discontinued.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Are you a natural redhead? Ladies who wear blue-based red hair tend to look better in a blue-based red lipstick but blue-based redheads are never seen in nature :D If you're a natural redhead or wear a more natural color of dyed red, an neutral or orange base works better.

I get so frustrated with what goes with my red hair that I've decided to just go with whatever red lipstick strikes my fancy at the time. Sometimes it's MAC's Russian Red, sometimes it's one of the super-steadfast reds from either Revlon or Max Factor(good thing I stocked up on the MF before it got discontinued in the US).

RD

Puzzicato

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
Does anyone know a good red that is kind of sheer or a lip balm? I love the Burt's Bees lip shimmers for summer, but I really need a red. And they really only have pinks and wines. Thanks! :)

I like Revlon "super lustrous shiny sheer" in Sheer Cherry Pop as a sheer red for summer.

My regular lipstick is MAC Red, which I love, but my favourite was the beautiful, long discontinued Estee Lauder China Red.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Revlon's ColorStay Ultimate Lipcolor in Top Tomato is a nice orangey-red that lasts FOREVER. Through eating, roller derby games with my mouthguard in and out, sleeping... and it doesn't really dry out my lips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo