Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Have to recommend the Jura 200th anniversary 21 year old. Had it today at the distillery and it's a peach.

Having said that, if you have a little spare cash to burn and can get your hands on the Jura Boutique Barrel 1996 Limousin oak single cask (one of around 480-odd bottles which were released today) I'd recommend doing so. Having said that, I did help choose the cask for bottling so maybe I'm a wee bit biased!

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
Picked up a few bottles recently as stock was getting a bit low. Added the Aberlour A'bundh Batch 32, a Douglas Laing bottling of Benriach 18 yo, Highland Park 12, Springbank 10 year old and the Balvenie 17 yo sherry oak cask. Batch 32 of the A'bundh is not as good to me as previous batches, The HP 12 is consistently good but no where near the HP 18, The Benriach bottling is very limited and very good but it is not mindboggling and I would not spend the money to replace it. The two clear winners of this lot was the Springbank 10 (love that touch of saltiness) and The Balvenie 17 yo Sherry Oak cask. This Balvenie is a superb bottling and I would highly recommend it if you can find it. These five along with Talisker 10 and Macallan 18 make up my present Scotch rotation. Of course this is supplemented by some bourbons (mostly Van Winkle) and the occassional cognac. Good drinking to you all.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Picked up a few bottles recently as stock was getting a bit low. Added the Aberlour A'bundh Batch 32, a Douglas Laing bottling of Benriach 18 yo, Highland Park 12, Springbank 10 year old and the Balvenie 17 yo sherry oak cask. Batch 32 of the A'bundh is not as good to me as previous batches, The HP 12 is consistently good but no where near the HP 18, The Benriach bottling is very limited and very good but it is not mindboggling and I would not spend the money to replace it. The two clear winners of this lot was the Springbank 10 (love that touch of saltiness) and The Balvenie 17 yo Sherry Oak cask. This Balvenie is a superb bottling and I would highly recommend it if you can find it. These five along with Talisker 10 and Macallan 18 make up my present Scotch rotation. Of course this is supplemented by some bourbons (mostly Van Winkle) and the occassional cognac. Good drinking to you all.

Batches 32-34 of A'bunadh have a fair bit more charcoal than previous efforts, which isn't so much to my taste. I still massively preferred it to Glenfarclas 105 (their attempt at a rival cask strength sherry job).

A nice wee selection of malt you have there. Springbank is always a fantastic shout and still family owned, which is very rare indeed nowadays.

Batches 32-34 of A'bunadh have a fair bit more charcoal than previous efforts, which isn't so much to my taste. I still massively preferred it to Glenfarclas 105 (their attempt at a rival cask strength sherry job).

A nice wee selection of malt you have there. Springbank is always a fantastic shout and still family owned, which is very rare indeed nowadays.

Isn't Glenfarclas family owned as well? Their 40 year old isn't bad for the price.:D

palma

New in Town
TALISKER 18

l1RFB.jpg

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
I once was lucky enough to purchase a small bottle of a 30-year old Glenfarclas Single Barrel Madeira Finish. That was like heaven in a glass. For all the other occasions I prefer The Balvenie 12 DoubleWood.

marxalot

New in Town
As far as single malts are concerned, I'm awfully fond of Glenfidditch- the pear finish. For special occasions, I've a bottle of Glenmorangie (port wood finish); my dad favors Glenfarclas as his best bottle. Most of the time, though, I find myself drinking blends, and for that, Ballantine's delivers a reliable drink at a solid price. The Famous Grouse is also justifiably recommended, and I'm always on the lookout for new scotches to try.

US – Leading Single Malt Scotch Whisky Brands
(thousands of nine-liter case depletions) Percent Change
RankBrandImporter2008200920102008-20092009-2010
1 The Glenlivet Pernod Ricard USA2852863090.4%8.0%
2 The Macallan Rémy Cointreau USA1251251340.0%7.2%
3 Glenfiddich William Grant & Sons USA102100107-2.0%7.0%
4 The Balvenie William Grant & Sons USA4750556.4%10.0%
5 McClelland’s White Rock Distilleries4952546.1%3.8%
6Glenmorangie Moët-Hennessy USA37435216.2%20.9%
Total Top Six6456567111.7%8.4%
Source: IMPACT DATABANK

Well, the chart didn't post well. You can see the surprising results here:
http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/201...rands-in-the-u-s-i-think-5-will-surprise-you/

Last edited:

Goodtimes

New in Town
Right now I'm enjoying a dram of Craggenmore 12 yr.old with a splash of water but my go-to favorite is Highland Park 12 yr. old.: Subtle sweetness and a light, smokey aftertaste that lingers beautifully.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Tried the committee release 'for discussion' Ardbeg Alligator yesterday. What a shock! The only horrible dram I've ever had from that distillery. After a very promising and aromatic nose the palate is really bitter and the finish non-existent. Best avoided.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112