Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
How does this compare to the other colours?

Ethan, Swing is a lovely drop. Very, very smooth. The majority in it are Speysides but there's some Islays in there which give it a slight smokiness as well.

To be honest all the "special" Johnnies are IMHO a tad over-priced for what they are, so I only ever buy Swing duty-free. Most of the time I drink Black Label.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Ethan, Swing is a lovely drop. Very, very smooth. The majority in it are Speysides but there's some Islays in there which give it a slight smokiness as well.

To be honest all the "special" Johnnies are IMHO a tad over-priced for what they are, so I only ever buy Swing duty-free. Most of the time I drink Black Label.

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll seek it out. I recently had the Blue Label for the first time, it is very nice but certainly overpriced for me. I like the Gold but again it's pretty expensive. So I stick with the Black Label, my Dad's favourite too.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
It's funny that we can bandy about all of these different years of whiskies and brandy with out realizing the cost of smiply storing the product in barrels for all those years. That's definately tied up a lot of cash for quite a while. I think that when one realizes the cost of storing to make 8-12-15 YO and on up the price of a bottle begins to shrink a bit.

It's similar to the apple cider jump. Fresh cider is priced x, add yeast and take the time to make hard cider, the price is 3X to 4X, let that hard cider store and become apple cider vinegar and the price is 8X to 12X. Every step and every storage adds to the cost.

John, you're quite right it is really easy to forget that when talking about these things and I'm guilty of this myself.

I have no problem with whatever the price is, naturally it's your choice whether to buy it or not. My view is more a case of; if a bottle costs £30.00 and an older one costs £80.00 a) which do I prefer? b) which gives me, in my opinion, the best value for money. I then buy accordingly. This is why I particularly like the Johnny Walker Black Label.

Goodtimes

New in Town
I like The Dalmore's Cigar Malt, though I'm not a smoker. I hear that it is in limited supply as it has been discontinued. I'm also a fan of Highland Park, Bowmore, and Talisker.

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
My favourites so far are the Edradour 10 year old and the Highland Park 25 year old (although we bought a bottle of the Highland Park 16 year old a couple of months ago that I feel inspired to try again soon!).

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up a bottle today recommended by the store manager of one of my favorite shops. Its bottled from a hand picked cask. The brand is Glendullan, and the label says cask number 4062, bottle number 55 of 312. It's 17 years old, distilled 4/12/91 and bottled 8/15/08. Anybody have any thoughts on what I bought? The label also says it's an unchillfiltered Speyside Single Malt.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
I picked up a bottle today recommended by the store manager of one of my favorite shops. Its bottled from a hand picked cask. The brand is Glendullan, and the label says cask number 4062, bottle number 55 of 312. It's 17 years old, distilled 4/12/91 and bottled 8/15/08. Anybody have any thoughts on what I bought? The label also says it's an unchillfiltered Speyside Single Malt.

Real bad choice Bob. I suggest you just toss it in a box, pad it with those SC Torpedoes and I'll even help with shipping to send it on over to the banks of the Schuylkill River. That's what friends do you know, help each other out.;)
Tom D.

I do like the Speysides

BobC

Thanks, Tom. I really appreciate that you're always so willing to help me out of a jam. ;)

BobC

St.Ignatz said:
My trusty pocket guide reads "A good single malt with robust character yet a mellow fruity flavour" and that was for the 12 yo. Saving it for the trip Bob?

Had a taste on the deck this evening with a Legendario torpedo. I agree with your guide...a quite fruity aroma, very flavorful, not very smoky at all.

The Legendarios have improved tremendously given six or eight weeks in the humidor. I'd buy more of the maduras, but they're a bit scarce.

Levallois

Practically Family
Single Malt - Glenmorangie 18 year old

Blended - Johnnie Walker Blue - it's ruined me for anything else

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well...

As many of you already know, Highland Park is a distinguished, rich, complex and slightly smoky malt from the Orkney Islands (the earth gives it this wonderful rich peaty/smokey flavour), great chaps to accompany dark roasted coffee, dark heavy on the cocoa bean chocolate, cuban cigars with leaves that have been burnished on native thighs and a wonderful evening's company of Bonne homie! Then there's Lagavulin (the 16 Year old you'll love until you die), surely this must be the prince(ss) of the Islay malts and well worth the trek up to the distillery if ever in the Highlands (try the train up to Oban) .;) One you may not have heard of but once tasted, are glad you did, is Clynelish 14 Year Old. A well respected north Highland malt, from the coast of Sutherland, you can almost taste the sea-spray and the heather.

But with so many to choose from, you'll never get bored searching for that Holy Grail...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ