What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Chiliarches, Sep 1, 2009.

1. alsendk

alsendk A-List Customer

I do like the Whiskies coming from Islay..perhaps with the exception of bunnahabhain, that I find a little bland. But what I get back to, more and more, is the irish Rebreast Whiskey, which slowly has come to be my favourite poison by choice.

images.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-J8v8k3n8

2. scrawlysteve

scrawlysteve One of the Regulars

I've just opened a bottle of Bruichladdich Islay Barley Rockside Farm 2007 (50% abv) and for such a young one it is very complex ...and very delicious. Maybe not quite as complex as the extremely poetic blurb on their website has it...or, most likely, my tastebuds just aren't up to that highly evolved level of discrimination. It is jolly good though.

3. 1mach1

1mach1

Don't sleep on some of the older first fill sherry Bunnahabhain by some of the independent bottlers. These are real gems.

4. Band-Aids?! :rofl: I have no idea. I've never tasted Band-Aids. :p They do sort of smell the same though. :p You definitely have to be in the mood for it. Then again, Ardbeg nearly overwhelmed my friend. lol lol

5. That really is a good one but it was even better a few years ago.

6. It is the least peaty Islay you will ever find that is for sure. It is also a good scotch. :D

7. Wow! Sounds like something I need to look for. Binny's anyone? :p

8. 1mach1

1mach1

ROAD TRIP! :car:

9. Much closer for you darn it! :doh: :p

10. 1mach1

1mach1

Sadly, they do not ship to VA.

11. They do to CA. :p Binny's is a world class liquor store.

12. 1mach1

1mach1

Except for the fact they stopped shipping to VA. :eusa_doh:

13. You re close enough. Go see them.

14. wgnovak

wgnovak Familiar Face

McCallan 15 yr or 18 yr if not available.

15. Good choice either way. I still like Glendronach a bit better though.

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Back when I was climbing the greasy pole of corporate management, a supplier gave me a Christmas gift of Caperdonich single malt. not being a connoisseur of the myriad of Scotch whiskies, it wasn't a name that I had ever seen in shops or pubs. but it was an incredibly smooth and very moorish whisky.

Fast forward by about 15 years, by now the internet is in common usage and I spied the name Caperdonich. Looking it up, I was dissappointed to discover that the distillery had closed. However, by following a link I came across Master of the Malt. How pleasing it was to see that very same whisky that had been a much appreciated, generous gift, listed as a whisky collector's masterpiece, and your's for a mere: £1248:43.

Is that for the bottle? I'd want the cask for that amount.

17. That was a better gift than you thought. :p

18. maduro 5

maduro 5 A-List Customer

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  19. maduro 5

maduro 5 A-List Customer

In UK it sold for ~55 pounds sterling. I grabbed one in Moscow on the business trip for ~US$113. I also saw a CDN$130 price in BC. In theory you should be able to find it under $100.