What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Chiliarches, Sep 1, 2009.

1. djhatman

djhatman One of the Regulars

Laphroaig 10 year is my favorite all the time. I do tend to drink it a little more this time of year helps keep the bones warm while I enjoy my after work pipe filled with Dunhill Nightcap.

2. My 1st choice for a favorite is usually a Speysides like Longmorn or Strathisla aged in a 1st fill Sherry cask. Both distilleries are owned by Chivas Bros, annual output is quite small & bought up by several blenders. So availability is limited & usually comes thru independent bottlers like Gordon & MacPhail, Hart Bros, Scott's or Signatory.

3. greatestescaper

greatestescaper One of the Regulars

I've not had a lot of experience with Scotch. However, as a house warming present my grandparents bought my wife and I a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year old whisky. It was one of the most complex flavors that I have ever tasted. Absolutely fantastic.

4. Peaty & robust but without the medicinal iodine flavors of Laphroaig. How did your wife like it & how did you both prefer to drink it?

5. greatestescaper

We served it neat, and I believe that my wife enjoyed it even more than I did, which is to say, quite a lot! In fact I believe it is something we will try to keep on the shelf for special occasions. One such being the full moon. I was recently talking with a friend about how I can never seem to sleep during a full moon. I thought that perhaps it would make a great excuse to drink a fine liquor before bed, maybe smoke my pipe, and read a book. Seeing as I am such a reader my friend suggested I pick a favorite book to reread, and really make a ritual of it. Lagavulin might be the very thing I was after...though I probably can not afford more than one measure per month.

6. Good woman! You might be interested in watching Ralfy's most recent review of Lagavulen 16. I really enjoy Ralfy's reviews especially when I'm considering something new but I can't help but think he is ripe for a parody done by some comedian who can play the perfect drunk like Foster Brooks could.

Anyway, this review is a little longer than most:

7. greatestescaper

Hurricane Jack, a keen review. I've watched a few of Ralfy's reviews a while back. Thank you for reminding me of them, I believe that I'll consult him before future whisky purchases. Also, now I find myself wishing for a Foster Brooks youtube channel, were he alive today it would be grand! Drunk whiskey reviews by Foster Brooks, that would be hilarious!

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  8. One of the best! He had Dean Martin cracking up in this skit.

9. greatestescaper

I have to admit that Nick Offerman's love of Lagavulin was mildly influential in my desire to try some:

10. I'm landlocked but I'd gladly pay shipping!

11. JC

JC New in Town

I am but a poor graduate student so my go to whiskey and scotch choices are Jack Daniel's, Jameson, and Johnny Walker.

I do enjoy McClelland's 12 year single malt, but that was reserved for very special occasions :lol:

12. wgnovak

wgnovak Familiar Face

MacAllan 15 yr. Prefer it to the 18 yr.

13. Hi JC. If you are looking for a budget blended Scotch to try other than Johnny Walker give Ballantine a try. It's pretty good & grocery stores sell it at a good price.

14. wgnovak

wgnovak Familiar Face

Old Grouse another blend is one if not the most popular in Scotland and reasonably priced.

15. DBurch

DBurch New in Town

I am mostly a Glenfiddich 12 and 15 person. However, noticing the Ralfy mention on the earlier post I'll say that if you are on a budget you might consider some Ralfy advice of taking a good scotch blend like Johnnie Walker black and adding into it some Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg 10 or even Lagavulin 16. 2oz of Johnnie Walker black blended with 1/2-1oz of your choice superior peated single malt and it transforms the whole drink into something nearly the flavor experience of the single malt that was added. Being a single malt purist I almost considered such an act sacrilegious, but it does mix things up literally and keeps some pressure off those expensive single malts on your shelf.

16. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

The best Scotch review ever. Found it while on Master of Malt while researching Lagavulin:

"Old, Surly, Biked Islay in the rain stoned, Seek the hidden behind the bar, piss off !
    Well, I have read the reviews and all I have to say is this is the Scotch that walks into the room and says piss off ya Beta males, I'm here and I'm SMOKIN'. It IS an acquired taste, it IS a love it or leave it; hopefully you leave it for the benefit of all the lovers of it. All I can say, is you walk up to the door to the reception of this marvelous home of Scotch and it's like your grandparents old house in the Orkney's. You are greeted by Mrs. Doubt-fire. In a wee whisper she takes you into her dining room ( taste room ) with Oak clad walls tastefully plaqued with awards and citations. On a long wood buffet sits bottles you only dream of. There is no watchful eye, but elegant and generous pouring of what ever you request, the age deep into the late seventies if you like. I try the Lag ga voo lin 18. Gold. Elixir of kilted Gods. I will not effuse winded descriptions of exotic teas and creosoted seal flippers, I'll leave that to the malthead Cryptographers. So........ in a wee brogue voice, the grace and manners that your gran used to have, she asks if you enjoyed it ? Like asking a 16 year old what he thought of their first sexual experience ! My wife drags me away, and God bless her, ranks that as the best she has had, including the trip to Oban, Spyside, as far south as Bladnoch and Glenkinchie as far north as Scapa. This is the peat. This is liquid earth. This is home. This is what keeps you from killing yourself on a stark and desolate landscape. Now the 16 - lovely. And as a Scot, when Costco in Kona had it on every Christmas for $46.00 a bottle, cases disappeared; much to the pleasure of my friends and family.........and every once and a while, a newbee screws their face and scowls at the " turpentine and burnt floor wax " I serve them. I smile, non judgmental, and think of Brussell Sprouts, Cigars and Blue Cheese. So, have a taste, and hopefully you'll get kicked in the nose and mouth and say.........that was the best Lay............. ga vul in ........... I ever had........... and one of the best Scotches ever."

17. Jaxworx

Jaxworx Familiar Face

A thoughtful, apple-golden dram
    Sipped on Hesperian shores
    Don’t cry for the last Macallan
    For there’s Ardbeg in the drawer.

Airigh nam Beist, Corryvreckan
    And the Uigeadail of lore
    Ne’er cry for nae Macallan
    When there’s Ardbeg in the drawer.

Joyful smokes and beer and women
    Still, it’s whisky I adore
    No hair from the hound Macallan
    But there’s Ardbeg in the drawer.

Our guests retired from holidays to
    Sugar-plum visions and snores
    Don’t cry for the last Macallan
    We’ve still Ardbeg in the drawer.

I’ll rock here with my dearest, then
    Loved now; to be loved more
    We’ll cry for no Macallan
    When we’ve Ardbeg in the drawer.

Tell our daughters, when they bring the bier
    To port us through that door:
    “Don’t cry for the last Macallan.
    Find the Ardbeg! Check the drawer!”

Scooterz likes this.
  18. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Enjoying the 12 year-old Auchentoshen my wife got me for Christmas!

19. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

Tried Oban Little Bay for the first time. Nice less peat smoke than the other Islays I have tried and more fruit. A decent scotch.

20. I really like Oban but have only had Little Bay by the drink a time or maybe two. Never bought a bottle. I know Little Bay is more expensive then the 14.