Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Probably many will poohoo this, but.... I don't much go for the taste of peak moss. :( Mine is Johnnie Walker Black Label and if that makes me a sissy man, then so-be-it. :cool:
You don't have to be apologetic for enjoying a whisky that you like. My own preference is for single malt, and I do particularly like the whiskies that are produced from water drawn from The River Spey.

Johnnie Walker blend up to 40 whiskies, but they are all very carefully selected and the recipe has always remained a secret.
If ever you feel flush or some generous benefactor wants to treat you, try Johnnie Walker King George V.
johnnie-walker-blue-label-king-george-v-whisky.jpg
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/johnnie-walker-blue-label-king-george-v-whisky/

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I tend to prefer bourbon whiskey, but I wanted to try this Shackleton Whiskey when I first came across an ad in the liquor store's magazine (I live in PA and we have "state stores"/"liquor stores".)

At first I didn't think I was going to be able to get it, but they got it in here last year, so I picked up a bottle.

I do like it, although I want to note that it tastes better than it smells. It has a cool and refreshing flavor to me.

Edit to add: not sure why my photo got turned sideways >_>

20200519_155322.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My current favourite is a recent purchase using the $100.00 CAD my in-laws gave me for my birthday.

12 year-old The Macallan single malt, double cask edition, using sherry-conditioned American and European casks.

Even my brother, not ordinarily a fan of malt, loved it, and I mean LOVED it.

The notes are toffee apple, vanilla, orange and oak, ginger and citrus with a warm and sweet lingering oak finish.

Scotch 1.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
During summer I like it something more straight forward, less layered like Springbank 12yo CS, Springbank 10yo or that 5yo „Wee Beastie“ from Ardbeg.

When it´s getting colder I prefer something more layered like Loch Gorm from Kilchoman or that 21yo Parliament by Glen Dronach...

Will make some pix once I got more time for that.

Cheers

Turnip

My current favourite is a recent purchase using the $100.00 CAD my in-laws gave me for my birthday.

12 year-old The Macallan single malt, double cask edition, using sherry-conditioned American and European casks.

Even my brother, not ordinarily a fan of malt, loved it, and I mean LOVED it.

The notes are toffee apple, vanilla, orange and oak, ginger and citrus with a warm and sweet lingering oak finish.

View attachment 245727
If you haven't had the chance already a trip to the new Macallan Distillery building is worth the trip. It is one of the most fabulous buildings I have ever seen. It has won numerous architectural awards. It is unique in its complete modernity compared to the old venerated buildings associated with the whisky world. On our trip to Scotland we visited many many distilleries and Macallan was a highlight. My wife and I skip the tours as after all how many pot stills does one need to see. We prefer to go directly to the bar and spend our time drinking. Our preference is to sit at the bar and engage the bartenders. Invariably they are talkative, knowledgeable and welcome the opportunity to talk about whisky. Well, Raphael the Macallan bartender, Italian and talkative regaled us with all he knew about whisky while we sampled his pourings. It was a grand time. He even popped the cork off a $2000 bottle and let us smell it.

During summer I like it something more straight forward, less layered like Springbank 12yo CS, Springbank 10yo or that 5yo „Wee Beastie“ from Ardbeg.

When it´s getting colder I prefer something more layered like Loch Gorm from Kilchoman or that 21yo Parliament by Glen Dronach...

Will make some pix once I got more time for that.

Cheers

Turnip
I read an article on 'the wee beastie' just yesterday. I am not familiar with Ardbeg but this one is on my list. We did not get around to visiting Islay but when this covid crap gets settled we go back and Ardbeg and Islay are top of the list.

The last of the bottle of Benromach 12 year old that I brought back from Scotland. Not available in my area so I savour the last of it. If the border to the US ever reopens I can locate it there so all is not lost I just need show patience.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Probably many will poohoo this, but.... I don't much go for the taste of peak moss. :( Mine is Johnnie Walker Black Label and if that makes me a sissy man, then so-be-it. :cool:

Peat moss you meant, and personal taste is just that! Enjoy the ones you enjoy!

Laphroaig for example has tasting notes that include iodine. I love it, but not to everyone's taste.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Peat moss you meant, and personal taste is just that! Enjoy the ones you enjoy!

Laphroaig for example has tasting notes that include iodine. I love it, but not to everyone's taste.

hmmmm, yes PEAT MOSS it is and that's what I normally tell couple buddies of mine who are Scotch lovers. But again you're correct. To each his own. Thanks MC.

Some more summer booze.

full

Cheers

Turnip
This was my favourite distillery visit in our recent trip to Scotland. It is in Wick almost at the top by John o Groats in what used to be a thriving fishing village that now..not so much. The distillery is a very unprepossessing building easy to miss with just the small signage. It was late in the day and no one else around and the visitor centre hostess was very kind and chatty. The 17 year old has been discontinued but she told me she thought they had a bottle in the back which she fetched and opened for me. With luck our local liquor outlet still has stock so I snagged a bottle on our return. I loved the grittiness and the almost antisnobberiy, working class feel to it. Kind of an anti Macallan in terms of feel. A rather small distillery, the whisky is produced by a master and 3 workers....that is it.
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG

I like JW Black, just a little hint of smoke/peat.
One of the Single Malts in the blends for JW, Chivas Regal, & Pinch in Kininvie. That's probably why all 3 are so popular. It's certainly why Kininvie is hard to find as a Single Malt. They buy most of the product for their blends. Chivas Bros owns them now I think.

One of the Single Malts in the blends for JW, Chivas Regal, & Pinch in Kininvie. That's probably why all 3 are so popular. It's certainly why Kininvie is hard to find as a Single Malt. They buy most of the product for their blends. Chivas Bros owns them now I think.

Most of the distilleries are owned by the big 3...Chivas Bros, Diageo, and the other one I forget. Very few are still family owned enterprises. Of the distilleries my recollection is that less than half were open to visitors. Most of them don't need the brand recognition as it is all sold to the blenders.

Most of the distilleries are owned by the big 3...Chivas Bros, Diageo, and the other one I forget. Very few are still family owned enterprises. Of the distilleries my recollection is that less than half were open to visitors. Most of them don't need the brand recognition as it is all sold to the blenders.
& International Drinks Co is the 3rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ