Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A like new secondhand Aero Happy Days Jacket in Black Jerky HH
View attachment 261546

not a jacket I would have normally chosen but It was available on the cheap so why not.. it wears like an A-2
The jerky HH is super nice.. I don’t think I would ever select this before if ordering new based on the descriptions but I really like it! Top of the list now

*Now I just need water- skis a shark and a pompadour

Nice jacket

Here is another rescue from eBay (I have to credit a TFL member for this term, which I love). I do feel like sometimes I am rescuing these old jackets. This is a 1940's Spiegel, which I picked up for $100 from the Finds and Deals thread, in vintage size 42. The lining is shredded in the neck area, and the main zip has been sadly replaced with a YKK. But the chest and sleeve Conmar zips look to be original 1940's. There is something about these old cross-zips - they instantly feel so comfortable, you just want to wear them. I initially thought I'd reline it, but this jacket is telling me to keep it untouched - shredded lining and all. Looks to be horse, it has this certain density and stiffness of a horsehide, but of course could be a different hide. On to the pics from my walk:

View attachment 261553

View attachment 261554

View attachment 261560

View attachment 261562

View attachment 261563

Dude..! Why haven't we seen more pics of you AND this jacket!? And the jacket looks like YOU had it for decades - or rather, you look like you had it for decades! Not just the fit, the jacket looks right on you and you in it.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Dude..! Why haven't we seen more pics of you AND this jacket!? And the jacket looks like YOU had it for decades - or rather, you look like you had it for decades! Not just the fit, the jacket looks right on you and you in it.
Thanks Monitor, I just got it yesterday. I feel like this jacket has been travelling the world looking for me. Or I was looking for it...Be it as it may, initially, based on eBay pics, I was sure I would re-line it. Then I put it on and something happened. I don't want to reline it anymore, I want the story of this jacket to continue undisturbed. When I am no longer around, my beneficiaries will sell it - for a $100...:)

So, I’m preparing to wash the Bates as it is a bit dirty and has a slight odor...
The seller stated that it was missing a pocket zipper pull & he hadn’t opened up the pocket...perhaps there was hidden treasure inside...hell yeah! I struck gold...The puller and original Bates logo main pull were both inside the pocket! Love it!!!
963E0DC6-929C-4931-A9A0-8670E75CD03D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Monitor, I just got it yesterday. I feel like this jacket has been travelling the world looking for me. Or I was looking for it...Be it as it may, initially, based on eBay pics, I was sure I would re-line it. Then I put it on and something happened. I don't want to reline it anymore, I want the story of this jacket to continue undisturbed. When I am no longer around, my beneficiaries will sell it - for a $100...:)

It's definitely been looking for you. Perfect top sleeve zippers, in length and position. Collar/lapels too. If it's nothing really bad, the frayed lining I mean, I wouldn't bother with a repair. If it doesn't feel like something's gonna give, I don't even think about repairs. But it's such a nice jacket, might be worth it in the long run, just to make it even cooler.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Yeah, placement of the sleeve zippers is super-cool, not at top of the wrists but a little inside. Collar is a bit pointy (cool, too), lapels are alright, and a big, one-piece back with no kidney panel. But the lining is totally separated from the bottom of the collar in the neck area, label is hanging by a thread (I will remove it in order not to lose it), and sleeve lining is in shreds. I may have to reconsider relining if it gets any worse. Will put it in Dena's capable hands. We will see, for now I will enjoy it.

So, I’m preparing to wash the Bates as it is a bit dirty and has a slight odor...
The seller stated that it was missing a pocket zipper pull & he hadn’t opened up the pocket...perhaps there was hidden treasure inside...hell yeah! I struck gold...The puller and original Bates logo main pull were both inside the pocket! Love it!!!
View attachment 261659
Dude those came out of a time capsule!! NICE!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm in love with this Bates!
...just not sure if I should go down 1 size.
View attachment 261202
View attachment 261203
i think it is that yellow lining from the wind flap that makes the look. funny how things that probably look ugly when new turns into something special once it mellowed with age, same with red stitching on brand new jeans and diamond quilted elbow and shoulder pads, to me looks over the top when new but eventually become something special once they age and fade.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^
Yeah, placement of the sleeve zippers is super-cool, not at top of the wrists but a little inside. Collar is a bit pointy (cool, too), lapels are alright, and a big, one-piece back with no kidney panel. But the lining is totally separated from the bottom of the collar in the neck area, label is hanging by a thread (I will remove it in order not to lose it), and sleeve lining is in shreds. I may have to reconsider relining if it gets any worse. Will put it in Dena's capable hands. We will see, for now I will enjoy it.

It is great of you to keep it original for now, but I found I like the jacket a lot better for wearing once re-lined. And Dena will do it right. 50+ years of who knows whose' sweat and it was an easy choice to do the re-line.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Simmons bilt J100 in black goat today. It was 27C yesterday so the "cooler" jackets are in again !
I really like the bright red lining in this , my only jacket like that.
All the others are rather muted in regards to lining colour.
This jacket was made for Proconsul in LA to their chosen specs.
By sheer good luck it fits me fine "off the rack" in stock Simmons Bilt 44".

Simmons Bilt J100 September 16th 2020.jpg

Last edited:

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I'm in love with this Bates!
...just not sure if I should go down 1 size.
View attachment 261202
View attachment 261203
@handymike I also don't think that you need to go down one size.
A like new secondhand Aero Happy Days Jacket in Black Jerky HH
View attachment 261546

not a jacket I would have normally chosen but It was available on the cheap so why not.. it wears like an A-2
The jerky HH is super nice.. I don’t think I would ever select this before if ordering new based on the descriptions but I really like it! Top of the list now

*Now I just need water- skis a shark and a pompadour
@Boyo I definitely agree with you and prefer their Jerky HH over their Vicenza HH even if I sold my Jerky HH Aeromarine due to fit issues and kept the russet Vicenza Wayfarer which fits me well (I like Vicenza but it's not one of my favorite leathers). I also don't understand why they hardly sell Jerky HH jackets compared to Vicenza....of course tastes are different

@handymike I also don't think that you need to go down one size.

@Boyo I definitely agree with you and prefer their Jerky HH over their Vicenza HH even if I sold my Jerky HH Aeromarine due to fit issues and kept the russet Vicenza Wayfarer which fits me well (I like Vicenza but it's not one of my favorite leathers). I also don't understand why they hardly sell Jerky HH jackets compared to Vicenza....of course tastes are different

Agreed. Jerky absolutely destroys Vicenza and I'd go as far as to say that it is even nicer than CXL. Jerky HH could be the nicest leather I've handled and yeah, I find it really strange it's not as popular as Vicenza but then again, they aren't advertising it nearly as much, if at all and most people don't have a clue what a gorgeous leather it is.

IMG-20180630-174545.jpg

IMG-20180630-174706.jpg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. Jerky absolutely destroys Vicenza and I'd go as far as to say that it is even nicer than CXL. Jerky HH could be the nicest leather I've handled and yeah, I find it really strange it's not as popular as Vicenza but then again, they aren't advertising it nearly as much, if at all and most people don't have a clue what a gorgeous leather it is.

IMG-20180630-174545.jpg

IMG-20180630-174706.jpg

How is Aero jerky HH tanned? Where do they source them?

When I ordered through thurston bros, I only received samples of cxl/badalassi/Vicenza so I'm not familiar with this leather.

That's an absolutely stunning trucker btw?

How is Aero jerky HH tanned? Where do they source them?

When I ordered through thurston bros, I only received samples of cxl/badalassi/Vicenza so I'm not familiar with this leather.

That's an absolutely stunning trucker btw?

I know it's a vegetable tanned leather and I THINK it's sourced & made in the UK but I could be off on that one. I'm really not sure why don't they advertise it more, it's a stunningly beautiful hide. Pics don't do it justice like at all. My next Aero will be Jerky, whatever the style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana