Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

I don’t understand the question! The jacket is a virgin? I have never found a suitable definition for Nappa leather. Is it thin sheepskin?

I don’t understand the question! The jacket is a virgin? I have never found a suitable definition for Nappa leather. Is it thin sheepskin?

Was thinking the exact same thing - I have absolutely no clue what napa even means. Wikipedia says it's soft leather which is also completely meaningless.

As for the impregnation... If meant as stuffing leather with stuff so that it would not get soaked... That's also complete nonsense and a scam.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
41EEB26F-22B6-4DD3-A685-DE25EE2C0C92.jpeg
D1A99192-CE3B-40A6-9E03-CE6E74BC7162.jpeg
Aero dustbowl in natural cxl. The pics show a much darker colour than real life. Couldn’t get it right on the iPhone camera.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
nappa is umbrella term of just soft finished leather right? I hear the term is used to make cap and waistbag, etc. so I guess you can wear it in the rain, it won't ruin the jacket, whether you stay dry or not that's a different story probably you will get wet here and there if the jacket is soft and thin.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Was thinking the exact same thing - I have absolutely no clue what napa even means. Wikipedia says it's soft leather which is also completely meaningless.

As for the impregnation... If meant as stuffing leather with stuff so that it would not get soaked... That's also complete nonsense and a scam.

I believe it´s actually worse: It means coating the leather, so the wet can´t even to get to the leather. As for the effect: Well, stuff yourself into a plastic back for 72 hours and then let´s talk again...

58panheadfan

One Too Many
About nappa leather from german wikipedia (google translator): Nappa leather is chrome-tanned smooth leather from calf or sheep with full grains that either come from the original skin surface or have been embossed into smooth leather. Originally, nappa leather was just the name for glove and clothing leather, named after the Napa Valley in the USA. Today, nappa leather is the collective term for particularly supple smooth leather of all animal types and uses, for example also for upholstery leather.

I need a simple answer! Thanks!

Non-impregnated black Nappa jacket in the rain, YES or NO?

AFAIK and what I have read, I would not recommend using an unimpregnated nappa jacket in wet conditions.
If so, a seal, e.g. waterproofing by spray would certainly not harm.

I believe it´s actually worse: It means coating the leather, so the wet can´t even to get to the leather. As for the effect: Well, stuff yourself into a plastic back for 72 hours and then let´s talk again...

It's insane those leather waterproofing spray makers are still in business. How can a little bit of spray seal off every pore in a hide so that it'd prevent water from getting thru? You'd have to leave shoes or whatever submerged in silicone or fluoropolymer for days to achieve that effect.
I get wax, it creates a heavy film over the surface and even that isn't 100% effective but those sprays are pure scam.

...smooth leather from calf or sheep with full grains that either come from the original skin surface or have been embossed into smooth leather.

But by this definition, it also just means napa is simply leather, be it full or corrected grain.

nappa is umbrella term of just soft finished leather right? I hear the term is used to make cap and waistbag, etc. so I guess you can wear it in the rain, it won't ruin the jacket, whether you stay dry or not that's a different story probably you will get wet here and there if the jacket is soft and thin.

Yep, Germany differs between Nappa leather (smooth), Nubuk leather (partially ground) and Velours leather (Suede).

I didn't took the risk, today and changed to other jacket.

thor

One Too Many
8BF1C332-E9ED-48A3-8F29-96191B6DB866.jpeg

This just arrived today (2-days shipping from U.K. to the U.S.), the Alpha Industries Injector MODIII.
Has a real mouton fur collar (non-detachable), upgraded nylon shell, normal fit (not slim fit or oversized!) and afew other nicely updated details.
Not quite as nice as my Buzz Rickson MA-1, but light years ahead of the lower price dime-a-dozen Alphas that you see at any Army-Navy store.
I wore it outside today in the rainy, 35-40 degree weather and this jacket handled the elements with no problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21