Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Freewheelers Mulholland:
xjzRj9S.jpg

YGjEGAX.jpg

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Breezy day for us in Perth western Australia ahead of the next hot high pressure cell that is going to give us 3 days of 37/38

Shot taken in a good waterside pub near the working Fremantle harbour. NOT the best shot of the jacket sorry.

Simmons Bilt J100 café racer in black goat today. Two way RIRI zipper good for these "on the edge of hot" days.

Mobile phone pics so apologies for the quality.

In the backdrop on the bridge a 2 storey truck for live sheep to the middle east. A controversial export to say the least.

Simmons Bilt J100 Left bank hotel 2.jpg

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Still honeymooning with my M—422A. So easy to wear, so easy to layer.

I have used the background a few times now. It’s one of my favourite „lost places“. Found it by accident near the place my wife goes horseriding weekends.
At this place a 54 building village was situated until in 1853 all residents decided to emigrate to Milwaukee. Half a year later, all buildings were gone and all that remains today is a large tree and the village well. No intel on what happened to the townies in the US, but I always stop to hope that they found what made them cut their roots and vacate their homes.

F1B20355-40E6-493C-8AB2-25510B0DF77C.jpeg

Cornelius

Practically Family
Still honeymooning with my M—422A. So easy to wear, so easy to layer.

I have used the background a few times now. It’s one of my favourite „lost places“. Found it by accident near the place my wife goes horseriding weekends.
At this place a 54 building village was situated until in 1853 all residents decided to emigrate to Milwaukee. Half a year later, all buildings were gone and all that remains today is a large tree and the village well. No intel on what happened to the townies in the US, but I always stop to hope that they found what made them cut their roots and vacate their homes.

View attachment 286490

I've spent a lot of time in Milwaukee & around the state of Wisconsin generally. There are many, many descendants of German immigrants all over the state (often reflected in the town names: Berlin, New Berlin, Hamburg, Bavaria, Germantown, Stettin...).

Mostly refugees from the fallout of the Revolutions of 1848. I suspect may have been the case with the village you mention, given that conservative reactionaries began returning to power in Germany around 1851 & many families who had been openly involved in the revolution began to flee, fearing violent retribution.

This flood of 1848 Revolutionaries created an interesting political legacy in Wisconsin, of which most US residents are completely unaware. To me, it's most famously reflected in the ownership structure of the Green Bay Packers football team (which the NFL grandfathered-in & then immediately banned going forward), and in the relatively high number of farmer & dairy cooperatives around the state and the cooperative groceries in small towns. Into the early part of the 20th Century is was still common to come across areas of Wisconsin where the descendants of immigrants had never learned English & still spoke German exclusively.

Psant25

One Too Many
I've spent a lot of time in Milwaukee & around the state of Wisconsin generally. There are many, many descendants of German immigrants all over the state (often reflected in the town names: Berlin, New Berlin, Hamburg, Bavaria, Germantown, Stettin...).

Mostly refugees from the fallout of the Revolutions of 1848. I suspect may have been the case with the village you mention, given that conservative reactionaries began returning to power in Germany around 1851 & many families who had been openly involved in the revolution began to flee, fearing violent retribution.

This flood of 1848 Revolutionaries created an interesting political legacy in Wisconsin, of which most US residents are completely unaware. To me, it's most famously reflected in the ownership structure of the Green Bay Packers football team (which the NFL grandfathered-in & then immediately banned going forward), and in the relatively high number of farmer & dairy cooperatives around the state and the cooperative groceries in small towns. Into the early part of the 20th Century is was still common to come across areas of Wisconsin where the descendants of immigrants had never learned English & still spoke German exclusively.
I have lived in Wisconsin my entire life. Interesting what you do not learn in school growing up about your state’s history. Thanks for sharing this

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Thanks much, Cornelius! I was aware of the Germans going to Milwaukee, but I never made the connection to the 1848 events.

I did some quick research on the net, and I am still in the dark. The area in question was very poor in the 19th century and the industrial revolution bypassed these parts for another 100 years. I took it as a given, that the exodus must have been due to economic reasons, especially since the whole village bled out in one go (not the neighbouring towns, though). There were a lot of local/regional principalities with ever changing powers, so I will need to do a lot of deep-dive reading if I want to get to the bottom here. Much appreciated inspiration to do that, Cornelius!

Cornelius

Practically Family
This is why the best Brats come from Wisconsin!

LOL, true! During the winter of 1997-98 I was working for an automotive tool company called Snap-On. They had recently consolidated two facilities, one southwest of Chicago and one in southern Wisconsin, and compromised by building the new joint entity well north of Chicago - splitting the difference for everyone's commute, essentially.

Point being, I was now working with a LOT of Wisconsinites. The Packers had won the Superbowl the year before and were on a hot streak, strong favorites to win again. The area I worked in was like a cross between a laboratory & a mechanic's repair garage - insanely clean, spotless floors, perfectly sorted tools, etc.

One Friday morning I come in early, and am like, "...what's that smell?!" It doesn't smell like new paint, tires, or clean motor oil..." I turn the corner, and there hanging along one wall are 4 giant clear plastic bags - heavy duty, thick clear plastic for the shop's trash bins. And all filled like water balloons with beer, onions, and bratwurst! They'd been marinating overnight and filled the room with the scent of stale beer, raw onions, and raw pork. There was to be a playoff game aired that evening and all the Cheeseheads were planning to grill - properly - outside the large company garage after work.

Cornelius

Practically Family
Thanks much, Cornelius! I was aware of the Germans going to Milwaukee, but I never made the connection to the 1848 events.

I did some quick research on the net, and I am still in the dark. The area in question was very poor in the 19th century and the industrial revolution bypassed these parts for another 100 years. I took it as a given, that the exodus must have been due to economic reasons, especially since the whole village bled out in one go (not the neighbouring towns, though). There were a lot of local/regional principalities with ever changing powers, so I will need to do a lot of deep-dive reading if I want to get to the bottom here. Much appreciated inspiration to do that, Cornelius!

I would love to hear what you discover! You might be interested in reading about the Turner Clubs in the USA as well. They still existed as a large network east of the Mississippi well in the 1980s; in fact my girlfriend's family belonged to one in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and she competed extensively in gymnastics, traveling to competitions all around the Midwest.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
JL vest along with the my heaviest shirt to date.

It’s an “explorer” shirt from Taylor Stitch in wool plaids. Much beefier than the Pendleton wool shirts I’ve picked up. Supposedly made to be worn untucked, it’s got plenty enough length for me to wear either way. And metal donut buttons. Love it. I see it as a trial run towards getting a heavy piece from Iron Heart at some point.

Out today picking up some new trees for our slowly evolving garden paradise.

F4B1301E-2E87-49B4-A36A-09E271D55E97.jpeg

Cornelius

Practically Family
JL vest along with the my heaviest shirt to date.

It’s an “explorer” shirt from Taylor Stitch in wool plaids. Much beefier than the Pendleton wool shirts I’ve picked up. Supposedly made to be worn untucked, it’s got plenty enough length for me to wear either way. And metal donut buttons. Love it. I see it as a trial run towards getting a heavy piece from Iron Heart at some point.

Out today picking up some new trees for our slowly evolving garden paradise.

View attachment 286631

Keep an eye out on eBay for vintage versions of the Pendleton "OutdoorsMan" shirt - heavier weight wool than the standard Pendletons, more like a shirt-jac. One of those under a leather jacket would be perfect for damp NOLA winters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points