Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Bahabp100

Practically Family
As I’ve read around here: “when in doubt, overdress”. If you’re not walking thee for exercise, you might as well look stylish, and you certainly do.
In New York I’ve heard the slogan, “Dress British, Think Yiddish” lol that’s from the 60s.
“"Dress British, Think Yiddish” is cited from at least 1962 and means to look conventional, but to think unconventionally. The phrase (also given as “Look British, Think Yiddish” and “Speak British, Think Yiddish") was printed on buttons in the 1960s. Saint Laurie Ltd., a men’s clothier in New York, used “Dress British, Think Yiddish” in a 1980s advertising campaign.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
It was quite crowded today, lots of people going for a walk through the dunes. Without exemption they all wore unisex Gore-tex jackets, sweatpants and trainers. People also brought their Nordic Walking sticks (is that a thing in the US as well?)

I'd rather go overdressed :) Although personally I don't think I'm overdressing. If a walk through the dunes on a cold winters day is not a suitable occasion to wear a shearling coat and countrygrain boots, what is?

I don't know about other parts of the US but the whole outfit and walking sticks is a staple here in the Bay Area hiking areas too lol[/QUOTE]

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about other parts of the US but the whole outfit and walking sticks is a staple here in the Bay Area hiking areas too lol
[/QUOTE]

I went hiking a couple of times this summer, and you see can still see this from time to time. Not as common as they used to be 5 years ago but they’re still there. Although this summer I only saw them with old ladies, which makes sense to me. They should help with balance.

The funniest shit for me though is all the people gearing up in their serious outdoor gear. Like they’ll be wearing the sturdiest hiking boots, fjällräven gear all over. For a hike of 5 km on a gravel path through the woods. Dude, you’re not even in the woods! My 5 year old walked this path in flip flops while holding a barbie doll.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
RMC Cooper jacket
inJGPDy.jpg

6ojIgyB.jpg

YxOkrcF.jpg

Epic look. Really like that jacket, and you wear it so well!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Went for a walk through the dunes wearing my RL Purple Label shearling coat.
View attachment 297274 View attachment 297276

A bit late and only echoing what others said. Great and truly unique look!

Actually, I always found the C&J „Islay“ to be a good outdoor boot. Much more sturdy than the looks would suggest (only thing really „dressy“ are the shoelaces, IMO). Mine are 7 years old, and with the occasional leather treatment they are bound to last forever.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Went to Franklin and Poe today with the intention of buying a pair of jeans. No jeans, instead I bought this Dehen flyer's club jacket. A little on the large side, but that's ok as I intend to use this as a winter jacket that I can layer a bunch underneath. This jacket is pretty sweet!

View attachment 297372 View attachment 297373

On a different note, I also got the chance to try on a FCL Leon Custom in a size 38. Man their sizes are weird! The 38 was very tight in the shoulders and chest but a little long in the body and too long in the sleeves, which is crazy as I've never been a 38 in anything in my life! Last year I tried on the Leon the Norstar in size 38 which fit me pretty well in the shoulders and chest (not as tight as the leon custom) but way too long in the body and sleeves. Also the Leon custom is made in a lighter leather, 1.2 - 1.3 mm according to the guy who was there. He had his own personal Leon the Norstar there and it's a much thicker leather. Not sure if it's the 2mm they advertise, but man is it thick! I didn't remember it being that thick when I tried it on last year.

And for anyone who is interested, the guy there said that FCL may be stopping producing leather jackets for a while (although he also said that he's heard different things from different people that stock their jackets who have received communications from them so you never know)

He also said that The Flat Head are going to be back in full swing so that's pretty exciting.

Happy New Year everyone! May it bring jacket contentedness haha!!

Nice one, Jeo! Have been eyeballing this (in blue Merton wool) a few times, but it’s no use pretending I need a non-leather casual jacket...

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

I went hiking a couple of times this summer, and you see can still see this from time to time. Not as common as they used to be 5 years ago but they’re still there. Although this summer I only saw them with old ladies, which makes sense to me. They should help with balance.

The funniest shit for me though is all the people gearing up in their serious outdoor gear. Like they’ll be wearing the sturdiest hiking boots, fjällräven gear all over. For a hike of 5 km on a gravel path through the woods. Dude, you’re not even in the woods! My 5 year old walked this path in flip flops while holding a barbie doll.[/QUOTE]

@torfjord
I agree it will help with balance for the elderly but it does look excess baggage to the younger more abled hikers

That's a little too much for sure but maybe outdoor gear is their equivalent to our leather jackets. I'm sure it is all for documentation purposes as they say it didn't happen if there's no photo/video lol.

jeo

One Too Many
Nice one, Jeo! Have been eyeballing this (in blue Merton wool) a few times, but it’s no use pretending I need a non-leather casual jacket...

I hear you. This was a complete impulse purchase. My rationalization was that this will be my “winter jacket”. I’m sure you’ll find yours :D

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I hear you. This was a complete impulse purchase. My rationalization was that this will be my “winter jacket”. I’m sure you’ll find yours :D

Really dig these but probably too heavy for my weather. Looks really robust!

Reactions: jeo

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

The funniest shit for me though is all the people gearing up in their serious outdoor gear. Like they’ll be wearing the sturdiest hiking boots, fjällräven gear all over. For a hike of 5 km on a gravel path through the woods. Dude, you’re not even in the woods! My 5 year old walked this path in flip flops while holding a barbie doll.

@torfjord
I agree it will help with balance for the elderly but it does look excess baggage to the younger more abled hikers

That's a little too much for sure but maybe outdoor gear is their equivalent to our leather jackets. I'm sure it is all for documentation purposes as they say it didn't happen if there's no photo/video lol.[/QUOTE]

I think you’re absolutely right. There can be several reasons to want to get in full outdoor gear. I just find it funny cause for me that is strictly utilitarian clothing. I realise other people see it differently. I do have a full fjällräven outfit as well, but for me I reserve it for longer hiking trips when I’m planning on spending a couple of nights outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21