Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
well done, Tom. I got mine yesterday and want to wear a day or two before I post pics, but pretty much love it, but also had some similar second guessing as you're having. Nitty picky type stuff.

First off, good call on the zipper. As soon as I got it, I thought to myself "%#$* I should have asked for a bigger zipper" LOL. First time going to zip, the pin didn't go all the way down and I got myself in bind where I was like oh no, I'm about to break this zipper and it's 2 minutes old. Just need to be careful.

I also got mine with only chest pockets. No second guessing for me. But I screwed up by not asking for an inside pocket. I think without the hand warmers gives a much more sleek look for this cafe style. So it's pure fashion.

I like the wrist zipper placement and the style you choose. I whimped out and moved mine to the underside. Now wish I would have kept in a more prominent place.

I too wish I had maybe another half inch on length, but it's not bad either. I think it would help the "hour glass" shape of the design if it runs a little longer. And same with you, the length is fine, but yeah, another finger or two wouldn't hurt.

That blue stitching might come back to life once you start getting the teacore, so be patient.

Speaking of the leather, I got to say my first impression given how much hype Shinki gets is that I was a little underwhelmed. Probably weights about 1.5 kg. Love the graining obviously but was surprised at the thin/lightness of the material. But even after a couple hours of wear, I can tell it's going to evolve into something glorious. I got sleeve creasing within minutes and I too have had some drizzles, so been in and out of the house a few times to help speed things along. So all things considered, I think it's a good thing it's on the lighter side. God knows I have enough chunky CXLs and comp weights and whatever else. So this jacket will come into play on those summer evenings.

I'm getting similar creasing off the neck shooting towards the arm pit. Very typical "Aero" LOL. I'm not sure what I could have changed in my measurements but I do think it'll settle some. It's clear this pattern is very well designed with sleekness in mind. There's a pulling effect from under the arms that creates a tension. This is probably where he has designed his back to front seam. Amazingly I get this hour glass silhouette even with the jacket unzipped. And with it zipped, I have my second skin. Curious about your ptp, shoulder, waist, and hip measurements as I know we're very similar. There's maybe a .25 here and there I'd go up or down, but generally speaking I think we both did good. Mine you'll see has a bit more mid section taper that flares out at the bottom, but very subtle. Yours seems to have more the board racer style of a straight line.

Good stuff. On mine, I see a few chips here and there of the brown underneath. Something I'm really looking forward to. Like I said, I think you'll come to love that blue contrast with time.

Thanks much!

By now, I am completely happy with my jacket. Some use of the jacket and tons of positive feedback have certainly contributed. I usually don’t second-guess my choices, but I do find the quest for the “Perfect Café Racer” a challenging one. It’s such a simple design, yet so hard to get exactly right.

I am looking forward to seeing your fit pictures. I am sure a tighter silhouette with a slight flare at the bottom looks great. I - intentionally- played it safe here - to have some room for layering. I am glad how that turned out.

I absolutely love the hide. There are occasions that demand for the heavy stuff, but there is something about shinki that is just subtle and luxurious (obviously with huge variations itself). Amazing how much my jacket has sprung into life with three days of wear.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Outstanding, you nailed it man! One of the nicest CRs I've seen from FL. Love that zipper pull too. I think the back length is spot on, has that short, cool biker look to it. Congrats!

Thank you, Jeo! High praise! I believe you have one of the most spectacular collections in these parts.

Reactions: jeo

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 305212

Ok guys I would appreciate some honest feedback. This is my latest addition. Fit is great, and the cow leather has the best character I've ever seen on a non-distressed cow leather jacket. I'm just not sure about the style in combination with the color.
I think it looks fine as is, maybe just combine it with different pants color to contrast more. Mink oil is not too color darkening but lightly darken and also promote redder tone , i never use obenauff, but seen enough example how people "tan" their nat vegtan wallets into dirty looking dark brown.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I dyed my hair since highschool, early greying in the genes:(

Yup car stuff just dunked my head into the pot, and use the jacket to towel dry. Lol:D

Super 2 pockets CR btw, congrats!

I have started to grow grey starting mid-twenties. Decided not to mind, and by now I am old enough to afford a lot of grey...

May try your method though...:)

I have started to grow grey starting mid-twenties. Decided not to mind, and by now I am old enough to afford a lot of grey...

May try your method though...:)

Same. I don't have a lot of grays - and for some reason, they've really toned down nowadays, I seem to have less than ever - but I really dig what's there. I started graying in high-school too but I honestly never for a second saw it as a negative thing.
I always thought you're naturally reddish, @navetsea .

Speaking of conditioners, I bought a bottle of something that's a mix of beeswax, essential leather oils and silicone. In Lidl, of all the places. Will try it out later but sounds good to me.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Here you go @ProteinNerd

*(not wearing this today, but asked to show this Thedi).

1B1759CC-DCA8-43D5-898C-BB2E1B83FF96.png
4372E5A8-095E-4FFC-88A0-F2ACD0B6A9F6.png

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, i mean something from car section seems a lot more reputable than somebrands I never hear from general house cleaning section, the brands also more reputable and for sure they wont ruin some car seat or staining the pants of people sitting on it, while the all natural home products .... who really can tell, people use it on their old wallet or old briefscase if it looks darkened alot or blotty they would throw them away no biggie.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, i mean something from car section seems a lot more reputable than somebrands I never hear from general house cleaning section, the brands also more reputable and for sure they wont ruin some car seat or staining the pants of people sitting on it, while the all natural home products .... who really can tell, people use it on their old wallet or old briefscase if it looks darkened alot or blotty they would throw them away no biggie.

I believe your spot-on. In my neck of the woods you just don’t mess with people’s cars, so I think it’s fair to assume that car-care products are pretty reliable as a general rule...
:D

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Guys, breaking news:

Was out for a couple of hours to run some errands my wife invented for me (give me a sense of purpose etc.). Outside there’s a fun mixture of heavy rain, sleet and thick snow and harsh albeit not bright light.

I was way to cold in my new Route66, but I am really not taking it off at the moment and guess what: The blue stitching I had already written off as a miss-mod due to lack of contrast just pops out and jumps right at you. I couldn’t be more delighted.

B3B80395-8963-4D3C-BB19-3F6EC011FFB8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner