Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

powersci

One of the Regulars
With Chicago temps plummeting over the next 24 hours, my Aero B-3 has been perfect for keeping me warm. Woke up this morning to 6°F (-14°C). Threw on my B-3 over a t-shirt and I was as warm as could be. Even broke a bit of a sweat while taking the dog on a lunchtime walk.

3peIkH2h.jpg

A week ago I was comfortable in just a sherpa vest and a sweater.
4r4d4c4l.jpg

Pulled out the Carhartt when it was time to shovel for the third time this week.
M9Jo6Nal.jpg

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
With Chicago temps plummeting over the next 24 hours, my Aero B-3 has been perfect for keeping me warm. Woke up this morning to 6°F (-14°C). Threw on my B-3 over a t-shirt and I was as warm as could be. Even broke a bit of a sweat while taking the dog on a lunchtime walk.

3peIkH2h.jpg

4r4d4c4l.jpg

Pulled out the Carhartt when it was time to shovel for the third time this week.
M9Jo6Nal.jpg
Yeah, can you really dislike this weather with so much shearling?

kowalski

Practically Family

3peIkH2h.jpg

4r4d4c4l.jpg

M9Jo6Nal.jpg
When I look at the b3 jacket I always think of the deck gunner who were standing with the doors open, windows at minus 40 C and speed 600 km. They must have loved their B3.I'm curious what is the difference in the thickness wool the commercial B3 and original B3.I think the original B3 had to be thicker and heavier. Nice jacket @powersi

powersci

One of the Regulars
When I look at the b3 jacket I always think of the deck gunner who were standing with the doors open, windows at minus 40 C and speed 600 km. They must have loved their B3.I'm curious what is the difference in the thickness wool the commercial B3 and original B3.I think the original B3 had to be thicker and heavier. Nice jacket @powersi

The B3 jacket had to be near perfect for that job/position. I've seen some historical photos but it's hard to make comparisons between my Aero B3 and the originals. I noticed that many of the originals have curly shearling. I wonder if that makes it denser and does a better job at keeping the guy warm?

powerserge

One of the Regulars
Yes, wear it, break it in, and don't give it a second thought in terms of fit. It is literally as perfect as any jacket I've seen here, both front & back. Congratuations on nailing it the first time!

As to the Carhartts, 100% agree. Especially as we've having much cooler temps now, the tighter weave of these "ridgid" models keep the cold out better, and they break in and fit great, never in the way. Plus - under $60 for a pair that will last for many years.
I’m really glad how things have turned out. With everyone’s input has eased any doubts that I had and will wear it proudly. Thanks for your kind words.

I actually find that to be the case as well. Even though the fabric isn’t the thickest, it does well in cooler temps. I actually had Ben Viapiana out of Toronto make me a pair of carhartt double front replicas in a heavier duty duck canvas. They are much more substantial and like the added thickness over the originals
My third post and the third jacket... This time I am giving my Rainbow Country Sports Jacket some air in winter conditions. Just love the quality of the hide and the craftmanship on this one. No use for filters when the leather has that kind of glow! The shoes I bought from my good neighbour, Lars, at Østmoboots.
View attachment 307803
Great jacket and boots! I’m not sure which I like more. It’s so cool that you’re neighbors with Lars, he awesome and love what he does with Østmo. Not the easiest boots to get but definitely special if one gets the chance

kowalski

Practically Family
The B3 jacket had to be near perfect for that job/position. I've seen some historical photos but it's hard to make comparisons between my Aero B3 and the originals. I noticed that many of the originals have curly shearling. I wonder if that makes it denser and does a better job at keeping the guy warm?
that's right i had the original b3 and reconstructed it, i think so of the time and weather conditions do it (curly shearling,) winter, rain , frost .

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
No 7 feet of snow in Buffalo today. Probably less than a foot but ridiculous wind for the past two days. Whipped that snow all over. So no fancy or fun jackets today. A hand me down 1980s mechanic jumpsuit. It gets the job done when I’m out there snow blowing.
12317166-EA47-4E84-BD57-A8CF5C0E315B.jpeg
B5013DDB-993F-4B14-B4A6-5310CE363D84.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran