Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Now this is the type of comment that I love and appreciate. I think here at TFL it should be ok to vent our opinion on some lounger's jacket, whether it's positive or negative. And you did so in a very polite, non-insulting and well substantiated manner. And I agree with you on all points. You have a very sharp eye. Chapeau.

Now this is easy for me to say because it's not my jacket. But even if it were I would feel the same. Without honest feedback on my jackets I won't be able to do better next time. Keep on doing what you're doing, I appreciate your style :)

Thanks! Appreciated! And a relief...I am aware I can be overly direct and opinionated for some people’s tastes irl, so I do try to be careful not to offend! But the impersonal nature of the internet can easily make the tone off... one thing I especially love about TFL is the tone, which is generally respectful and supportive even when folk have different opinions, passionately held. I find it a little oasis of calm and decency on the internet! Soothing, especially in the current difficult times... so I’m glad I’ve (hopefully) not ruined that considerate vibe!

But, anyway, apologies to @ton312 for rubbishing your sought after jacket before you even get it! I do admire folk going off piste including to cheaper less heralded brands and makers, there are bargains of surprising quality to be had, no doubt! But IMO this is not one such... I do hope you like it though and that’s all that matters... and I’m comforted by the fact that you have one of the most enviable selections of jackets at your disposal.

But, anyway, apologies to @ton312 for rubbishing your sought after jacket before you even get it! I do admire folk going off piste including to cheaper less heralded brands and makers, there are bargains of surprising quality to be had, no doubt! But IMO this is not one such... I do hope you like it though and that’s all that matters... and I’m comforted by the fact that you have one of the most enviable selections of jackets at your disposal.
No apologies necessary! I’ve posted jackets that come from just about every corner of this hobby, good, bad and indifferent. Some really great and some really, really awful.

If I have learned one thing along the way, it’s that regardless of the label they carry, clothes don’t make the man, imho it’s the other way around. So I look forward to elevating this mall jacket:)

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
If I have learned one thing along the way, it’s that regardless of the label they carry, clothes don’t make the man, imho it’s the other way around. So I look forward to elevating this mall jacket:)[/QUOTE]

I admire your spirit, I hope you can pull it off! If you do, just please don’t decide you’ve found your new grail and sell off the blue beauty (well blue/green but that didn’t alliterate so well)...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
101DCDAD-754B-4A2B-B9D0-38099BEE3A69.jpeg

For those who are interested, I've got too much time on my hands so I've written a little background story on this Thedi 'The Hunter'.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/king-o-fcc-the-hunter-thedi-leathers.72559/

Last edited:
Regrettably I have to run out for eggs. I don’t know if it’s the pandemic or what but I’m churning through 18 eggs in a matter of a few days. Giving the 5 * goat a go. I haven’t worn this very much. Maybe twice? I actually kind of forgot about it, which is so dumb given I spec’d it for just this type of weather.
AEA3C9DD-5C1A-4173-BBBF-2EB1395060DE.jpeg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I have learned one thing along the way, it’s that regardless of the label they carry, clothes don’t make the man, imho it’s the other way around. So I look forward to elevating this mall jacket

I think it depends, it is an interesting question... When are you wearing the jacket and when is it wearing you? :)

I think to pull off a jacket, the most important thing, beyond confidence, is to be confortable in it. But to elevate a jacket, you probably need good posture, and some presence as well?

I think it depends, it is an interesting question... When are you wearing the jacket and when is it wearing you? :)

I think to pull off a jacket, the most important thing, beyond confidence, is to be confortable in it. But to elevate a jacket, you probably need good posture, and some presence as well?
Maybe? I guess my point is provenance doesn’t make the jacket or the man. Personally I don’t care much about it anymore (truthfully, I never really did). I just like what I like and have found I can look and feel every bit as good in a $10 item from a thrift store compared to a $1k custom piece. If it’s good it’s good, if it’s not it’s not. Where it’s made, sold and how it’s priced doesn’t have a whole lot to do with it. At least not for me. Others likely disagree...but I suppose that’s why my style is mine!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Maybe? I guess my point is provenance doesn’t make the jacket or the man. Personally I don’t care much about it anymore (truthfully, I never really did). I just like what I like and have found I can look and feel every bit as good in a $10 item from a thrift store compared to a $1k custom piece. If it’s good it’s good, if it’s not it’s not. Where it’s made, sold and how it’s priced doesn’t have a whole lot to do with it. At least not for me. Others likely disagree...but I suppose that’s why my style is mine!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
If it’s good it’s good, if it’s not it’s not. Where it’s made, sold and how it’s priced doesn’t have a whole lot to do with it.
For me personally, I can't enjoy something that is poorly made. Even something that might look good from a distance, or even from close by for 99% of people. If it's mass produced and poorly made I can't enjoy it.

Agree 100 percent.

As an aside, I would add that many of my jackets are dedicated riding jackets. I like those more form fitting and short. They may look off to some around here when worn off the bike. So I will play with the measurements a bit depending on the jackets purpose, rather than solely on how it looks in a photo. Of course, I never want to look like a bag of doughnuts. I am not totally without vanity.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I would agree that it doesn't really matter who makes something and where it is made as long as it is well made.

You can also look good in anything, but I find it more difficult to pull off... thet being said most people would not notice how well your jacket is made. But they would notice you being happy with what you have. So if you can feel like a million Euros with a basic item, you will definitely look much better than the next guy wearing the same item made by unicorns under a full moon.

Then again, it helps to be in good shape, everything looks better when not overweight or with bad posture.

For me personally, I can't enjoy something that is poorly made. Even something that might look good from a distance, or even from close by for 99% of people. If it's mass produced and poorly made I can't enjoy it.
I understand. Although mass production does not guarantee poorly made anymore than handmade would imply the opposite. As with most stuff, it depends.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Ye olde Bates again

Thanks to whoever suggested a different hat. I forgot I had this one from Voodoo music festival til I went digging around. Major pre-covid nostalgia!

Curious- what’s yalls take on the belt? I think it looks fine both ways but interested in seeing if there’s a consensus opinion.

40D592F1-3BC4-4308-B905-76508289A7C2.jpeg
12C94087-8E59-4DA2-B8F3-E29F56EA0B4B.jpeg

Ye olde Bates again

Thanks to whoever suggested a different hat. I forgot I had this one from Voodoo music festival til I went digging around. Major pre-covid nostalgia!

Curious- what’s yalls take on the belt? I think it looks fine both ways but interested in seeing if there’s a consensus opinion.

View attachment 309701 View attachment 309702

I like both, but when I wear the belt unsecured I fold it in on itself (the non-buckle side). My Schott has a snap to keep the buckle secured to the front panel, something my I wish all belted jackets had. This Bates is awesome!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Ye olde Bates again

View attachment 309701 View attachment 309702

This jacket! I don’t know what it is, but apart from being really cool on it’s own, it just suits you really well. Looking at those pictures, it just feels like that was meant to be your jacket somehow.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points