What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Used to be referred to as engineers jacket ..

2. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Sorry, can't be of much help regarding an ID number or date as I know you're working on trying to correlate the two. I've looked a couple times, both in the past and just now again, and I can't find anything anywhere.

More knowledgeable members than I identified this as an older Model C, precursor to the C2. From what I read one of the features is a slightly longer body, and indeed, it does just cover my belt. For reference I'm 5'9" (175cm), though as you know pants rise can affect the look somewhat as well.

Regarding the leather, this is my only Vanson so I don't have another to compare against. What I can say is that it's a dream to wear. Hands down my most comfortable jacket. It's heavy but broken in so it just molds and moves perfectly. You know but don't know you're wearing it if that makes any sense.

Here's a couple older pictures from my previous phone (ignore the Bates pull, it's been swapped out with something different):
    IMG_20200202_133426032.jpg
    IMG_20200202_133619201.jpg

AeroFan_07, Guivil, Vezio and 19 others like this.
  3. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

thanks for the extra info. Now that I see the close ups, actually the leather is pretty close. And also knowing you're about 5'9 makes sense. I'm 6'0, so maybe the jackets are not that far apart actually. And I'm pretty sure mine has the same zipper. So I feel pretty confident saying that's an early 80s model. I think we exchanged a couple messages about the jacket, and mine wasn't as cheap as you got yours, but I got a pretty good deal on mine via Buyee since it had the frayed male zipper pin and someone had cut off the epaulettes. Good stuff. Highly recommend those older C2s for sure.

And I agree with you, mine is also one of my top 2 or 3 most comfortable. I feel like I'm being perma hugged when I wear it, but still have full range of motion.

4. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

Not really "wearing" today as it´s become unpleasantly hot and humid:

The (in-)famous Mulholland. Could perhaps squeeze into a smaller size, but would probably end up with rather short sleeves and body-lenght. The zipper is a piece of work...

Mulholland2.jpg Mulholland3.jpg

5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

The definition of a badass jacket. Looks great!

Tom71 likes this.
  6. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Wow, that's so good @Tom71 and it looks great with just a shirt underneath but atleast you can wear a jumper/hoodie for the cold season. I got to say maybe it's just one of those patterns that works well with most body shapes/height. You can also appreciate how good the range of motion on this is, those underarm gussets are so good.

Hmmm for the zippers just be mindful to insert the pin all the way down the retainer box when you zip it up. Also try not to tug on the zipper pull near the bottom end when you disconnect the male/female sides. I run my thumb down the slider to dislodge the pin from the retainer box instead. Congratulations on this!

Brandrea33 and Tom71 like this.
  7. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

Thanks much! I have to admit that I didn´t find the time yet to get used to the jacket. It´s just been too warm since I got it earlier this week. I believe it´s a fine 3-season-jacket, but the lining seems pretty warm, so for summer I will probably have some other grab-and-goes...

Zipper: Included with the jacket was a little "manual" on how to use with a lot of red ink and "caution" written all over it. I have always had issues with the strict interpretation of "authenticity" over "functionality". The zipper is a challenge but so far not as bad as the Hookless I had on one of my Aero´s...

sweetfights and Jin431 like this.
  8. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

That really looks incredibly badass. Makes me want to put those sowing lines from the pockets on my Schott.

Colin G, Tom71 and Jin431 like this.
  9. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

I like the midweight flannel lining on this, it's comfy and not too warm but it can color bleed a little when wet.

It feels like it's a size 8 so it's easier to use than the #5 hookless Aero uses and definitely feels more secure. Can you possibly share the manual/illustrations that came with the jacket? Thanks

sweetfights likes this.
  10. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

:)

I really like the part with "Please don´t rush. Please calm down."

I wish somebody had given me that advice when I was in my late teens. I would have been so much more sucessful in dating...

Mulholland4.jpg

11. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

Thanks you! Echoing what @Superfluous already said: In the beginning, I found the stitching too busy, silly even. When it started to grow on me it grew big!

12. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

So many cool details on this jacket. The collar, the stitching, the bottom hem. Soooo cool.

Tom71 likes this.
  13. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Living in hotel in Austin. Still have about 10 jackets in the closet to hold me over until I can find and close on a home.

ADD912A0-9572-4013-8618-753937C7066B.jpeg

14. Monitor

Monitor

This is a nice jacket.

JMax and Jin431 like this.
  15. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

That's so true on the ball & chain pull on the pockets, it's nice to look at but fragile. The pull on the chest pocket on mine is already broken.

Wisdom huh lol

Tom71 likes this.
  16. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

Ran home at lunch to grab my new Langlitz that arrived today. Snapped a quick pic. Rode my bike back to work its a little hot for this leather today. 3rd time is a charm best fitting columbia yet. Standard columbia in medium cow. Police round badge holder (match my FLHTP cop bike). Hidden collar snaps.
    C1BE78E0-82F3-445E-9249-F0CD697B7567.jpeg

17. Pandemic

Pandemic Practically Family

Lots of opportunities to get it wet this weekend! :D

JMax likes this.
  18. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hilarious!! Zipper instructions!
    Reminds me of the detailed instructions and demonstration in Marine Corps boot camp of how to wipe your a** with 1 square of toilet paper.(incase of a TP shortage). Good prep for pandemicacemia.
    B

Mrfrown and Tom71 like this.
  19. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

91F. No jacket. I just added 2 window AC’s to make this brick pizza oven i live in bearable.

20. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

Our Chicago brick home used to be the same; a few years ago we needed the roof redone & chose light grey shingles with higher solar reflectivity, made an immense difference in the summers since!

Bfd70 likes this.