Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Not necessarily:
IMG_6706.JPG

Psant25

One Too Many
I agree but really the two aren't comparable...Aero @ $1.2K and this at just over $100. No doubt the Aero is FAR superior BUT it's also worth exaactly 1/2 the purchase price once the box it's shipped in has hit your door. Which is a burden I'm tired of bearing...
johnson has a 25percent off sale grab a stock m500 crosszip have him extend the back panel that would be under half a new aero. i too had trouble coping with getting less than half for a new aero jackets i sold. where as half of a JL or vanson is a slightly smaller pill to swallow. this coming from the guy who just put an order in for a new langlitz columbia lol

johnson has a 25percent off sale grab a stock m500 crosszip have him extend the back panel that would be under half a new aero. i too had trouble coping with getting less than half for a new aero jackets i sold. where as half of a JL or vanson is a slightly smaller pill to swallow. this coming from the guy who just put an order in for a new langlitz columbia lol
Man my JL cost me more than an Aero! I'm likely not done with custom stuff but I'm certainly going to take a more measured approach. Sometimes good enough is just that. It's taken much wasted money and squandered effort to arrive at that conclusion.

dannyk

One Too Many
Man my JL cost me more than an Aero! I'm likely not done with custom stuff but I'm certainly going to take a more measured approach. Sometimes good enough is just that. It's taken much wasted money and squandered effort to arrive at that conclusion.
Exactly! We’re all chasing “perfect” but there’s always a new maker, new hide, new style, some tiny imperfection, something. And good creases and patina are obsessed over. But we all flip jackets and buy new ones so often half of us never put the work in. I’m all in on used, vintage, off the rack, I’ll never get perfect but decent fit, good enough maybe it’s actually good enough.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spot on Danny. I have a list of Aeros I'd like to get and even if I'd managed to do so already, then Thedi comes along and blows my mind (and my wallet) with their designs and hides. You're never really done in this game.

Exactly! We’re all chasing “perfect” but there’s always a new maker, new hide, new style, some tiny imperfection, something. And good creases and patina are obsessed over. But we all flip jackets and buy new ones so often half of us never put the work in. I’m all in on used, vintage, off the rack, I’ll never get perfect but decent fit, good enough maybe it’s actually good enough.
I agree. I've also found that quality, craftsmanship and whatever else doesn't translate to more use or wear. That's a burden too. If I have $1.5k jacket hanging in the closet but grab a $75 beater instead...something is wrong with my appropriations. There's also the ultimate enemy of good...the hope for better.

Hh121

Banned
I agree. I've also found that quality, craftsmanship and whatever else doesn't translate to more use or wear. That's a burden too. If I have $1.5k jacket hanging in the closet but grab a $75 beater instead...something is wrong with my appropriations. There's also the ultimate enemy of good...the idea of better.

I feel the same way. I would dream just have 3 or 4 jacket, j23, model e, test and suburban will do.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve been saying this for awhile @ton312 I feel we’re in the same page. Now I’m tired of full custom looks and then being ocd as we all with our jackets and finding the smallest flaw. Coming on TFL here and seeing some new leather or style and doing it all over again. I’ve decided I’m fine with used or off the rack or mixing up styles and trying whatever. way lesss cost involve and way less stressing over every detail.

I agree, after so many custom tweaked jackets have come and gone, out of the jackets I have left, the ones I am less critical of are my OTR Eastmans and Flat Head jackets. Dont get me wrong, they fit well but not "perfect" especially the Flat Head with its shortish sleeves but for whatever reason, the imperfections just don't bother me like they would if I had custom ordered them.

It must be some psychological thing where if you get to customise it, you are more demanding and less tolerant of any issues?

This logic of yours is what I refer to as the "full-circle effect". I did it with denim...went crazy with selvedge brands/ gustin/ etc...
Now I'm wearing 505s at $25 each...
Could well be. When I started collecting leather jackets I was only interested in vintage. I found the repro stuff to be horribly poseur-ish. Then I switched gears and found the vintage stuff to be just plain poorly made. Now I'm somewhere in the twilight of feeling the same about both. Maybe now is a good time to vacate the leather jacket hobby for a bit. Get my bearings and come back with a fresh and more opinionated perspective.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Could well be. When I started collecting leather jackets I was only interested in vintage. I found the repro stuff to be horribly poseur-ish. Then I switched gears and found the vintage stuff to be just plain poorly made. Now I'm somewhere in the twilight of feeling the same about both. Maybe now is a good time to vacate the leather jacket hobby for a bit. Get my bearings and come back with a fresh and more opinionated perspective.

I kind of got out. I now have two leather jackets that cost under $50 each used. They do the job and wear well. Leather is meant for working in, not fussing over or approaching with crazy reverence. I can afford to buy whole bunch of Aeros, but I can't bring myself to spend that much on any item of clothing. Or fuss over specs. It is, in the end not how I want to relate to the world or consumer goods.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
To the custom v otr + ocd discussion, imho it’s just a journey. There is no arrival. This is all a result of automation, the 40 hour week, and the internet. We could obssess over jackets, box scores, cast iron skillets, it’s all just time filler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy