Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That’s a nice jacket ;) when it darkens a bit it’ll be even better!

What size did you go for? I noticed freewheelers sleeves seem to run somewhat long in their leather jackets at least. I reckon they do that for riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have seen shots of it darkened and it does indeed look better :D

I went with a 42 just like with my Caboose. It fits a little larger in every way except the sleeves and length, which are both shorter. The sleeves are interesting especially considering that their shirt sleeves all fit me perfectly.

New Freewheelers Sunset deerskin jacket in yellow ocher :)
jtQtJ0H.jpg

Ee97XTZ.jpg

3JUjE6u.jpg

S1UPIwv.jpg

I really, really like this one! Looks super sturdy, too.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you! I have seen shots of it darkened and it does indeed look better :D

I went with a 42 just like with my Caboose. It fits a little larger in every way except the sleeves and length, which are both shorter. The sleeves are interesting especially considering that their shirt sleeves all fit me perfectly.

Rolling the sleeves looks cool.
You always display great style.

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Oh..OK. I was a kid during the 1950s..teenager in the '60s, etc. Denim was always worn and popular here in the states as work and casual jackets. I still must say that I never saw a denim jacket out in the wild with multiple stacked sleeve creases like that. Along with what was stated in your link, I still think that something else was purposely done to achieve that affect. I like the rest of the jacket but think those creases just look very weird and quite unnatural for denim.
HD

There was absolutely something purposely done to the jacket, but it's more on the manufacturing side than the the wearer. All the wearer did was over-wear and under-launder. Most raw/selvedge denim in the workwear market right now is designed to fade with higher contrast than "standard" denim or even the historic denim they are emulating. The cotton yarns are rope-dyed, which means the indigo sits in little flakes on the outside of the yarn like dried spaghetti sauce on a noodle. The more you crack and abrade the indigo off, the more fading and contrast you will have compared to other areas. Obviously there are a huge number of fabrics out there that have different indigo-fastness or other dye and fabric properties but essentially it comes down to fabric engineering. Personally I also find those high contrast fades to look unnatural (but cool), and like a lot of people I just wash my jeans more in order to even things out.

El Marro

New Freewheelers Sunset deerskin jacket in yellow ocher :)
jtQtJ0H.jpg

Ee97XTZ.jpg

3JUjE6u.jpg

S1UPIwv.jpg
What a great looking jacket Dude!
I remember when I saw that one for the first time a few years ago and it blew me away. I was pretty new to the jacket thing and did not understand what all the hype was about Japanese jackets, the Freewheelers Sunset is the one that made me sit up and pay attention.

Thanks for the good info VC. My denim has usually been Levis and Lee over the years in normal weight of thickness and fade. Just never got into the thick stiff stuff or spiderweb fades,etc in jeans. Heavier would be OK in a jean jacket unless so heavy and stiff that multiple rippled stacked sleeve creases appear. Not for me. I do have a couple overdyed somewhat heavier jeans that I'm enjoying right now for a change. Can't stand the 'sanded' fake crease fades and ripped and torn fads popular today. Old school here.
HD

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Thanks for the good info VC. My denim has usually been Levis and Lee over the years in normal weight of thickness and fade. Just never got into the thick stiff stuff or spiderweb fades,etc in jeans. Heavier would be OK in a jean jacket unless so heavy and stiff that multiple rippled stacked sleeve creases appear. Not for me. I do have a couple overdyed somewhat heavier jeans that I'm enjoying right now for a change. Can't stand the 'sanded' fake crease fades and ripped and torn fads popular today. Old school here.
HD

I think the only think potentially worse than heavily pre-distressed jeans are jeans so skinny you have to grease up your legs to get them on. Some people have thin legs and slim cuts look good/natural on them. Other people do not, and slim cuts look less than flattering. What I find funny about denim is how much research and effort went into making it fade slower, feel softer, and shrink less, only for the raw denim market to emerge and reproduce the crunchiest and least comfortable iterations from decades and decades ago. I'll trade comfort for durability any day but from the near-outrage people seem to experience when they see my jeans standing in the corner it's not a universal feeling.

HD
You would love a 21oz denim type III.
1acd720277def488bc0099122d7e8fd2be41aa7c168b467b95f0ee9eac9cf3e4.jpg

VestCoast

A-List Customer

sweetfights

sweetfights

Quality denim will fade like that. I've never seen it on a Levi jacket in person but there are countless examples of such perfectly faded Levi/Lee/etc. jackets online. Modern high quality denim is to some extent engineered to achieve such look but other than the perhaps shorter amount of time it would take the wearer to get there, there really isn't anything fake about it.

These creases are referred to as honeycombs, I believe.

fade-of-the-day-levis-trucker-jacket-front.jpg

fade-of-the-day-levis-type-3-trucker-jacket-front.jpg

fade-of-the-day-levis-type-3-trucker-jacket-back.jpg

fade-of-the-day-levis-type-3-trucker-jacket-cloth.jpg

31556797_575560726149351_7010647663829843968_n.jpg

31270476_206331386816070_8737055299405348864_n.jpg

170116_IH666SII_32_d0422_018.jpg

170116_IH666SII_32_d0422_020.jpg

Love it!

View attachment 161514 View attachment 161515 View attachment 161516 View attachment 161517

Iron Heart. Rider.
21 ounces of super black denim.

Love the fit.
Trim. Great shoulder gusset action.

Thank you to those who introduced me to heavy denim.

That does fit you perfectly and it's an awesome jacket! I've always wanted one but figured I'd go with the Type-3 for my first few heavy denim jackets. How are the shoulder gussets kept inside since there's no elastic band holding them in place, like on leather jackets? Something I've always wondered about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider