Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Heavy horsehide police jacket. I dig these snap down collars. Small regional maker.

1661354876716.jpeg
1661354911103.jpeg
1661354932045.jpeg
1661354955729.jpeg
1661355040201.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I apologize if this isnt strictly relevant to the thread but I did wear this jacket today and it doesn't feel like it deserves itsown thread. Sorry for no fit pics. After looking over my RMC Nelson today I observed some concerning developments. It appears as though small cracks have been forming along scar lines on the back arm panel on the left sleeve of the jacket. I spoke with the retailer including these pictures and they assured me that this was normal. I have jackets that cost me 1/10 what this jacket cost that I've treated like they owed me money that haven't shown any cracks. The worst that happened here is that I got caught in a downpour one time, after which I let the jacket air dry completely and conditioned after. Jacket is about 2 months old, and I'd say it's been worn maybe 30 times total and only briefly as it's been too hot to wear most days. View attachment 445578 View attachment 445577 View attachment 445576
View attachment 445580
What do you guys think?
As far as I know, RMC had serious problems with the quality of their leather jackets about 3-4 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't know how it looks today... I didn't have any such faults with my RMC jackets.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
FW French seam sleave on the left vs Thedi on the right.

I've owned a Vanson with straighter stitching than this FW labrea lol.

View attachment 446453

Vanson :

View attachment 446452
In fact, I already had and have a few Thedis leather jackets, but when it comes to laser straight stitching, his leather jackets cannot be surpassed. Also not from FW etc. the thickness of the seams used are another matter...

Hh121

Banned

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
How do you feel about Aero's measurement? Sleeves and back always shorter than their measurements.
This one was spot on. Or within 0.25"
But on my sale page Highwayman jackets the difference is more noticeable, especially the sleeve lengths. That model is always hard. With the relaxed curved sleeve. I would say it's safe to add an inch to sleeve length on that model for sure. The sleeves always seems to be short on that jacket.

Observe

One Too Many
As far as I know, RMC had serious problems with the quality of their leather jackets about 3-4 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't know how it looks today... I didn't have any such faults with my RMC jackets.
As promised, here is an update as I reached out to RMC regarding the leather. I've copied and pasted the email for simplicity's sake. I sent them the same photos that I posted here last week.

"Thank you for your patience. We have just heard back from our headquarters.

Upon inspection of the photos by our factory and leather tannery, the cracks have been determined not have have a direct effect on the durability of the jacket. If the jacket was unworn and in this condition, we would be speculative; however, after wear it is difficult to distinguish the causation. In conclusion, the durability should have no effect and we consider this healing wound to be within the acceptable range."

So there you have it. Guess I will grin and bear it. I hope they're right about the durability.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
As promised, here is an update as I reached out to RMC regarding the leather. I've copied and pasted the email for simplicity's sake. I sent them the same photos that I posted here last week.

Upon inspection of the photos by our factory and leather tannery, the cracks have been determined not have have a direct effect on the durability of the jacket. If the jacket was unworn and in this condition, we would be speculative; however, after wear it is difficult to distinguish the causation. In conclusion, the durability should have no effect and we consider this healing wound to be within the acceptable range."

So there you have it. Guess I will grin and bear it. I hope they're right about the durability.
This is like Ferrari saying that a dull spot on your brandnew Ferrari is acceptable because it doesn't have a direct effect on the durability of the car.

This is a high end jacket that's supposed to be much more than just durable.

Observe

One Too Many
This is like Ferrari saying that a dull spot on your brandnew Ferrari is acceptable because it doesn't have a direct effect on the durability of the car.

This is a high end jacket that's supposed to be much more than just durable.
I figure the main issue is they aren't sure whether or not wear caused it. Anyway, for now I wear the jacket and try to ignore it. I've already conditioned the area to prevent any spread. It is a sobering lesson in expectations vs reality.

Last edited:

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hooch Hauler Badalassi Chestnut Steerhide Universal Zips
View attachment 446794 View attachment 446795 View attachment 446796 View attachment 446797
Very slim pattern. Sale page jacket. Great deal, Badalassi leather feels thicker than Vicenza. If I were custom ordering I would go up one size for my own preference.
@Canuck Panda Great jacket and perfect fit. I've often heard that the thickness/weight is similar to Vicenza. When I compare the leather thickness/weight of my Vicenza Wayfarer with my two-tone Badalassi Hooch Hauler and tobacco Badalassi orig. Hercules there is a significant difference, i.e. the Badalassi weight is similar to CXLFQHH (about 3.5oz I would say). However I have to say that I received Badalassi from an old batch about 3.5 years ago before they decided to introduce Badalassi in their standard portfolio. .

Al 916

One Too Many

A long time ago I learned this lesson.

Find out who their Chairperson is. Write / send a (recorded delivery) letter to them in a very business like way giving all details and contacts asking if this is what they deem acceptable quality and customer service.

Do not deal with middlepeople.

Last edited:

Viking752

Practically Family

Classic stonewall but after following this thread that is what I expected the posturing would be from the maker. Elevate the correspondence to the upper management if possible, you never know what may happen. If nothing else you voiced your displeasure and that they lost not only you as a repeat customer but other potential customers that may be turned off.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Schott 519
Still want to try the 613 and 618, my understanding is they’re a little shorter than this. However since I was able to get this Nordstrom model with the satin lining not sure if I’ll ever part with it…
Can you spot my little audience in the background :)

C9F71363-866A-4348-96C1-1E92F18DB70A.jpeg
B7C4E716-8F73-4910-9918-6F952D2D0964.jpeg

1C11AA87-3FCE-480A-8DAE-CE5FFF8F15B1.jpeg

Viking752

Practically Family

Al 916

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner