Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Posting a jacket for the first time in a long time. Got this FL back in July and I’m loving it. Needless to say I’m enjoying this very mild northeastern winter.

View attachment 485274
Man, you never miss!
C2A68F2F-E82E-4DC7-8709-3CD8F6B2B1A3.jpeg

Mr.Leong

Familiar Face
I have to say, I'm so used to seeing Toys McCoy's beautiful insignia jackets on their instagram feed, it's cool to actually see one being worn in the wild, and worn well! I probably couldn't get away with it where I live in the UK, but in your context and where you live by the sounds of it, no problems.

That said, I have every intention of eventually picking up one of the new model J-24's. That in itself will require a certain unwavering inner confidence to wear, same applies to all motorcycle jackets really. As I saw someone else mention before, it's the aura of these mc jackets as much as anything.
Thanks for commenting Chris! It’s one of those things in life I never thought I get to see in real life let alone owning it. The new model of J-24 is roomier than its previous model. Give it a try

NZJono

One of the Regulars
How so?

Somebody knowing about the movie will see the jacket for what it is: a purely pop-cultural reference piece, not unlike the „Hilts„ A-2 or a „Top Gun“ G1.
Others will just see a painted jacket with a random acronym and a skull that they will find either „silly“ or „cool“. Unless they have a decent half-knowledge of contemporary culture, in which case they will mistake you for a fanboy of the SanFran rock band ;).

I do see that you may run into issues with 1%. gangs in some parts of the world.
Unfortunately down here in NZ it’s an issue, but more to do with certain gang ‘colours’. No shortage of halfwits down here sadly.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Them folks are the dominant club in Florida. I’ve seen many a fool get into sticky situations with them. It’s not rocket science. Now, in TX, it’s a different club, less fools though. Must be a FL thing lol.

Well, “Florida man” is a meme for a reason lol

Motocann

One Too Many
I
TOYS McCoy Durable Code33 Double Rider Jacket “The Wild One”, size 36. I got praise from my close friend at the gym just now and it feels amazing. It’s made of horsehide but supple in relative to my other horsehide jackets. Which begs the question: If I had to pick between this jacket and my RMC J-24, which one comes up on top? Within 5 seconds, I picked my TOYS McCoy Durable.
View attachment 485170
View attachment 485171 Sneakers: Nike Air Force 1 “Snakeskin”
View attachment 485177
Comparison with RMC J-24
I would’ve liked to see that guy’s reaction if you would’ve jumped on the treadmill next to him wearing a leather jacket! :))

Mild winter in the NE is conducive to wearing a jacket over a t-shirt, the way it should be...:). 1950s Spiegel. If someone offered me a Buco for this jacket, there would be no deal. Just sayin. ;). I will post some research on 1950s catalog HH jackets in the Threads of the Past thread.

View attachment 485571
I'd love to hear your findings on Spiegel. Somewhat smaller and certainly more obscure dept. store chain founded in Chicago. I really wonder who made the jackets. Their catalog was considerably smaller than say, Sears or Monty Wards. Every bit as diverse though. I remember as a kid, when the catalogs would come out, my dad always wanted the Sears and my mom wanted the Spiegel. It was considered a "nicer" store.
1675186751665.png

1675186098147.png

Edit: It literally just occurred to me that Sears, Monty Ward and Spiegel were all Chicago based and founded. The jackets must've shared the same provenance.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to hear your findings on Spiegel. Somewhat smaller and certainly more obscure dept. store chain founded in Chicago. I really wonder who made the jackets. Their catalog was considerably smaller than say, Sears or Monty Wards. Every bit as diverse though. I remember as a kid, when the catalogs would come out, my dad always wanted the Sears and my mom wanted the Spiegel. It was considered a "nicer" store.
View attachment 485578
Tony, my findings on the Spiegel MC jackets are a little "different". I downloaded tons of Spiegel 1950s catalogues looking for this very jacket. No dice. But I *think* I found this jacket in 1950s Alden's catalogue. My thesis is that Spiegel and Alden's used the same maker for this jacket, but I still don't know who that is. I will post the jacket and catalogue pics in the Threads of the Past thread and let you guys poke holes in that argument.

View attachment 485578
Edit: It literally just occurred to me that Sears, Monty Ward and Spiegel were all Chicago based and founded. The jackets must've shared the same provenance.

For these particular jackets— All-Weather the maker, or an all weather jacket made by….??? Ha.

Will’s Spiegel looks awesome. Definitely a high tier maker. Not all Spiegel look as nice.

Tony, my findings on the Spiegel MC jackets are a little "different". I downloaded tons of Spiegel 1950s catalogues looking for this very jacket. No dice. But I *think* I found this jacket in 1950s Alden's catalogue. My thesis is that Spiegel and Alden's used the same maker for this jacket, but I still don't know who that is. I will post the jacket and catalogue pics in the Threads of the Past thread and let you guys poke holes in that argument.
Cool! I'd love to see that!

In my frenzy to sell off everything, this beauty was on the chopping block for a NY minute. Luckily my son (who is smarter than me) was there to talk some sense into me. Thus, this 1930s grail piece stays.
9085E180-1E61-4D5A-BFA4-B2A1C10B9796.jpeg
And if you’re wondering what I’m reading…
A76D47C9-974D-4AB4-B2F6-D35EF2D27531.jpeg
It’s probably best to keep her on my side.

Motocann

One Too Many
View attachment 485579
View attachment 485578
IDK, but the Spiegel catalogs in the 80's - 90's were massive catalogs. Mostly geared towards women's apparel. I know, because I worked on them for a few years when I lived in NYC..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ