Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I thought you were a freewheelers disciple?
I still am in a way. For modern jackets, I still mark them at the top along with a couple others. They still tend to look great on a lot of people. My body is just a bit too weird for them and vintage jackets suit me better.

Additionally, I still have trousers, shirts, and my winter jacket from them. I just no longer have any leathers from them.

Nacho

Practically Family
I still am in a way. For modern jackets, I still mark them at the top along with a couple others. They still tend to look great on a lot of people. My body is just a bit too weird for them and vintage jackets suit me better.

Additionally, I still have trousers, shirts, and my winter jacket from them. I just no longer have any leathers from them.

Have you sold your Bodie yet, Jake?

cbez

One Too Many
My new (used) flat head in very soft shinki aniline horse. I've seen black and light brown for sale but not this nice dark brown.

Similar but not identical:

20231025_150632.jpg
20231025_150541.jpg

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
First snow this season in Lithuania today. Temp hovering around freezing.
Testing out the limits of layering with my new Aero Hooch Hauler.
3 layer setup (long sleeve mesh + long sleeve thermal + long neck wool sweater) feel snug but quite ok.
Probably that's as far as I would go with this jacket.
These pictures also remind me how I was worried that this style might not work too well with my favorite hat. The worries are gone - they look fine together as far as I can tell.
1698329848042.png

1698329857121.png

3 layer setup (long sleeve mesh + long sleeve thermal + long neck wool sweater) feel snug but quite ok.
These pictures also remind me how I was worried that this style might not work too well with my favorite hat. The worries are gone - they look fine together as far as I can tell.
View attachment 555246
View attachment 555247

How does the layering rate warmth-wise? I've NEVER been able to stay sufficiently warm in a leather jacket without a heavy quilted lining, regardless of the layering.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
How does the layering rate warmth-wise?
Not sure how to answer that. Warmth is such varied and complex topic.
Depends on (to name but a few):
- How windy is it? Is the wind from the north or the south?
- How humid is it? Same temp dry is much easier to bear than same temp damp.
- How much are you moving? Huge difference between standing still and walking full speed for a prolonged time.
- Is there direct sunlight. Big difference between shade and direct sunlight.
- Personal genetic, long term (daily cold shower style) and short term (feeling slightly sick?) resistance to cold.
- How long are you outside without warming up inside. Huge difference between 30mins and 2 hours.
Today was around 0, slightly snowing, very damp and quite windy.
This setup was fine because I was actively walking with the stroller as the boy slept. Would get cold if I was standing still watching the girl play in the playground.
Also note that I went with moleskin lining - really wanted to experience how that feels. Probably that helps a bit over the typical cotton drill. Love how it feels.
Next level (-5c to -15c) would be a wool coat. After that would be a down parka (-15c to -30c).

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 555246
View attachment 555247
You did a lot of due diligence and it payed off. Your Hooch Hauler is absolutely brilliant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo